August 20, 2001

(Clearwisdom Net)

1). Victim's name: Jing Tingdong

Gender: male

Age: 38 (Date of Birth: 12/28/1964)

Occupation: instructor, Dalian Sea Transportation Institution

Address: 101-66 Langhua Street, Shahekou District, Dalian City

Health Condition: Before being arrested, Jing's body was in good condition. However from the end of August 2000 to August 2001 he was held at the Dalian Detention Center and the Dalian Reform Institution where he was tortured. Because of this torture, his entire body was covered with pus from festering wounds. Nevertheless, they still forced him to engage in highly strenuous labor for long hours.

2). Assailant: Fu Shouchen

Gender: male

Age: 35

Occupation: policeman

Position: patrol work outside the office of the Dalian City, Shahekou District, Heishijiao Police Station. On July 7 2000, Fu arrested Jing Tingdong, Wang Yuewen, Chen Mian, and others. He took them to the Heishijiao Police Station where they were illegally detained. Later, he sent Jing Tingdong to a forced-labor camp.

3) Jing Tingdong's account of being arrested:

On the morning of July 7, 2000, Fu Shouchen had my work unit's leader tell me to attend a meeting at the police station. I was detained upon arriving at the station. On the same day, the Heishijiao Police Station illegally detained a total of 24 Dafa practitioners. At noon on July 7, they sent 24 of us to the Dalian City Custodial Center.

4) The inhuman treatment at a detention center and reform institution:

The Dalian City Detention Center is located in Dalian City, Gangzi District, at Yaojia. Jing Tingdong was detained for 28 days, and then was transferred to the Dalian City Labor Camp on August 4.

The cells at the Dalian City Detention Center were about forty square meters and there were a total of thirty people in custody. The conditions were very poor. No one was allowed to brush their teeth, wash their hands, take a shower, or do laundry. People with infectious diseases were not isolated. The water supply was often cut off and they would not even allow us to use the restroom. The quality of meals was very bad and the food was always moldy. Family members were not allowed to visit. They forced us to do work for ten to fifteen hours everyday without any breaks. The majority of the work involved wrapping copper loops to be used for all kinds of electronics. There was a quota for each day. If the quota was not met, they would verbally and physically abuse that person. Because I was not able to meet the quota, the guards always cursed and beat me. Sometimes they wouldn't even let me sleep.

On August 4, 2000, I was transferred from the Dalian Detention Center to the Dalian Reform Institution. I was first sent to the fifth unit, and my number was 104. The room was about sixty square meters and more than 130 people were locked in there. The air quality was poor and the temperature was high. The sanitation was really deteriorating. We were not allowed to brush our teeth, use a toilet, take a shower, or do laundry. We were also kept together with people who had infectious diseases. Everyone's bedding was infested with lice. The food was also extremely bad, and often moldy and sour. No family members were allowed to visit.

During that period, we were forced to assemble ballpoint pens. "Made in Korea" was printed on the pen (The correction house was using prison labor illegally to create products for export). We worked sixteen hours a day, from 6:00 am to 10:00 pm.

On August 10, 2000, I was assigned to unit #1 of the 2nd section (each section consisted of around 100-200 people) of team #3 and forced to do long-hours of strenuous physical labor. The work was delivering the "loess" (a type of yellow mud used for making red bricks). The Dalian Reform Institution's official name is The Dalian Red Brick Factory. During the period from August 10 to December 5, I did excavation using a pickax, and I delivered loess, coalmine stone, stone powders, and other things as well. Everyday, I woke up at 4:30 am, and cleaned up two cells' corridors and the floors of the stairways. I arrived at the work place at 5:50 am, and started working at 6:00 am sharp, until lunch at 11:30 am. At 12:30 pm, I started working again all the way until 6:00 pm, sometimes even until 7:30 pm, before going back for dinner. If I worked a little bit slower, the head of prisoners or the captain would curse at me and beat me. The meal quality was very poor, and was never enough.

During this period, Dafa practitioners' family members were not allowed to visit. No phone calls were allowed either. They wanted to destroy me physically and mentally in order to force me to give up practicing Falun Dafa.

The work I did had two shifts, one-week day shift and one-week night shift. Regardless of whether it was windy, raining, or snowing, I had to continue working without any protection from the elements. Due to the intensive labor and long working hours, my hands, legs, and feet were all blistered. Because of the poor sanitary conditions there, since the end of August 2000, my whole body was covered with festering wounds and it was too itchy to go to sleep. Nevertheless, they still forced me to work.

On December 5, all Falun Gong practitioners from unit #1 were transferred to unit #3. The major work included picking beans, lifting and moving bags full of beans, piling the bags, etc. The working hours and intensity didn't decrease but increased. Every morning at 5:30, we had to work in the plantation all the way until 9:00 pm, sometimes even as late as midnight. Everyday, we had a total of thirty minutes for dining, with ten minutes for each meal and no time for breaks. When the higher-ups came for examinations or outsiders came for visiting, they would take the practitioners away until the outsiders had left.

5) Excruciatingly painful torture:

At 9:00 am on March 20, 2001, Zhang Baolin, the Vice Dean of the Dalian Reform Institution, took me into a so-called Male Unit Captain's Office on the third floor and forced me take off all of my clothing except my underwear. He put handcuffs and shackles on me, pushed me onto the concrete floor and put a bench on top of me. He used three or four electric batons to shock my back, legs, foot arches, arms, neck, as well as other places, and then poured two buckets of water on me. Those beating me included Captain Wang Jun, two others, and another captain whose name was unknown. Vice Dean Zhang Baolin sat in the chair and watched. He also said, "Thoroughly torture this intellectual and see if he can last half an hour." The purpose of torturing me was to force me to give up practicing Falun Dafa. At that time, I felt that vipers were biting my whole body, and that living was worse than death.

The Dalian City Justice Bureau is in charge of the Dalian Reform Institution. At that time, Hao Baokun, the deputy director general of the Justice Bureau, was sitting in the unit office on the second floor. Hao Wenshui, the dean of the reform institution, and commissar Zhang Ziliang were there too. They not only didn't stop the torture but also encouraged the torturers and helped cover up their crimes. The torturer Wang Jun and others are still at large.