Masanjia, A Showcase for Jiang Zemin's "Golden Age of Human Rights"
[Minghui net] The staff at the Masanjia Labor Camp is sparing no effort in following the directives of Jiang Zemin and Luo Gan. [Translator's note: Jiang Zemin, Chinese President who is largely responsible for the crackdown on Falun Gong. Luo Gan, Secretary of State Political and Law Committee, fervent executor of Jiang's policy.]. The guards there work constantly to "transform" Falun Gong practitioners. They employ two types of "patient" and "humane" methods: the first is a combination of physical and mental torture, while the other is to make use of supposedly transformed former practitioners to confuse, break down, and persecute real practitioners. The following are some cases of their conduct.
- Yang Hong from Gourd Island, Liao Ning Province, was beaten with electric batons on her back. She is still suffering the effects two months later, and there are wounds all over her body.
- Qi Lianrong received shocks all over her body from electric batons twice.
- Qi Yuling was shocked on her nipples and constantly endures solitary confinement.
- Zhao Xue received shocks in the ear, the back of the neck, and the throat. She was sent to solitary confinement and deprived of sleep for two days and two nights. Two people guarded her closely and only allowed her two minutes for each meal. She was kept in a small cell under this supervision for three and a half days. The chief officer of the team was notified that she was feeling ill, but he ignored it. On the contrary, he forced her to write articles criticizing Falun Gong and reflecting on why she was put into the small cell and beaten by electric baton. He would also try to use others to destroy her spirit. Whenever she spoke, they accused her of inciting something. If she refused to speak, then they would say she was crazy. They arranged people to try to persuade her day and night, trying to keep her mind from focusing on anything. The chief officer often yelled at her or beat her with the electric baton for no reason. Under such torment, Zhao Xue's blood pressure reached 220/140. Instead of receiving medical attention, she was forced to stand or squat until midnight. They wouldn't let her go, even after seeing her shaking and losing her balance.
- Xu Hongjun performed the Falun Gong exercises, and they beat her brutally about the legs. As a result, she walked with a pronounced limp for more than twenty days.
- Wang Manli was taken to an office, because she refused to be transformed. The head guard and a supervisor slapped her face until she could not stand anymore. Then they hit her head and shocked her until she lost consciousness.
- Gao Yanqiu was beaten severely, and as a result, she felt numbness all over for two months and suffered from amnesia.
- Shi Chunying was beaten severely, causing injuries to her head.
- Ji Lianfang was beaten severely, causing dizziness and her thinking to be impaired.
- Li Xiaoyan was shocked by the supervisor with multiple electric batons in the head and the soles of her feet, until her flesh was charred. When she recovered, Li remained steadfast in her belief in Falun Dafa.
- In a meeting involving government officials on Jan 17, 2000, when a so-called transformed practitioner said, "The guards were wonderful to the practitioners. They never beat or cursed at them, and they treated practitioners like parents treat their children", Zou Guirong stood up and refuted the lie loudly: "You are not telling the truth!" She barely finished before her mouth was covered. The "transformed" people around her grabbed her by the hair and neck, and dragged her out of the room. Ding Shifa, Chairman of the Policy and Law Committee in Liaoning Province, referred to this event in a speech as "help and salvation to Falun Gong practitioners" by "the Party and the government". Ding Shifa did not allow Zou Guirong to refute the lie told by the "transformed practitioner", and he did not stop the violence that happened right in front of him. On the contrary, he praised the so-called transformed people as "a special combat team". More than one thousand Falun Gong practitioners, who were forced to attend the meeting, saw clearly what had really happened.
- Zhang Xiujie was beaten and shocked by electric baton. They even used electric batons on her genital area, causing her to lose consciousness.
- Liu Chengyan was taken to the office of the chief, because she refused to curse Dafa and Master Li. One officer shocked her with an electric baton, while the other slapped her face and cursed her. This continued for twenty minutes and her cries could be heard in the corridor. She was further punished by being forced to stand outside in the cold, while being guarded by the "transformed practitioners". After all the beatings, they again tried to force her to slander Dafa and Master Li. She had a pronounced limp and bruises on her face for many days.
- Wang Jinfeng said, "I was working in the plant on September 4, 2000 when the chief officer called for me. When I followed her to the door, I saw a practitioner sobbing. I looked closer and saw that her ears were covered with blisters and her neck was red and swollen. I knew it was the work of the guards with the electric batons. The guards wanted me to write a promise to give up Falun Gong, and transcribe and recite the 30 rules. When I refused, they picked up electric batons and said, "Take off your shoes and socks". They held me down on the ground, tied my ankles with a wire, handcuffed my hands behind my back, and pressed them beneath my body. One of them kicked me, and my feet were bleeding. Two of them then took turns shocking the bottom of my feet, and they called in some other guards. One of them grabbed my hair, while the other shocked my head. My misery was beyond imagination. Meanwhile, they asked: "Will you write the promise? Will you recite the 30 rules?" My wrists and ankles were all swollen. After taking me back to the cell, they took several other practitioners out of their cells and did the same things to them. We received physical punishment everyday from 7:30 am to 4:30 PM, and we were forced to squat in the evening until midnight for more than a month. The time for my stay in labor camp was overdue for four months, but they still wouldn't set me free.
Zou Guirong has gone through multiple severe beatings and electric shocks during her time at Masanjia. They have even impaled toothpicks under her fingernails. After causing wounds and bruises all over her body, the guards even wrote Master Li's name on her arm and back, forcing her to bare her breasts and walk from one cell to another. Only the lowest of the low could come up with such an idea.
Apart from brutal torture, they imposed extra-heavy workloads to persecute the practitioners. Practitioners often worked for fifteen or sixteen hours, well past their point of exhaustion. Afterwards, there were often physical punishments that lasted deep into the night. In addition, the food was poor, and many practitioners were devastated in body and mind. Furthermore, the supervisor forced the so-called transformed people to beat and persecute the practitioners.
The assaults on the minds of the practitioners are too numerous to record. They tried to fill practitioners' minds with political propaganda and slander of Dafa. They forced practitioners to watch videos and listen to tapes attacking Falun Gong. They also tried to force practitioners to write lies and curses to attack Dafa, and to read aloud slogans calling Falun Gong "an evil cult". They forced practitioners to transcribe books attacking Dafa and to write papers of promise, confession, and criticism of Dafa from "personal experience". If they refused, the practitioners would be punished with physical punishment. When those practitioners who wrote these papers returned to the path of practicing Falun Gong, the supervisor doubled the punishments exacted upon them.
The guards tried to weaken the practitioners by splitting them up. While conducting brutal torture on some practitioners, they picked out some practitioners with a comfortable background or higher education, and they treated them with "the warmth of spring". It was nothing but sheer hypocrisy. They tried to get those who did not have a clear understanding of Dafa by creating a false sentiment that the policemen were the new "Lei Feng's". [Translator's note: Lei Feng was a model army man in the 1960's, who was widely praised for his selflessness and generosity] The police provided them with an environment to play cards, sing, and dance, so as to separate them from Dafa. When some people fell into the trap, they felt as though they had lost their will and became an instrument to harm Dafa. For example, Meng Jie was "transformed", and she told a practitioner later that she had the feeling "as if her blood was drained".
In order to brainwash and confuse practitioners, supervisors made use of the so-called transformed people to mix up quotations from Dafa, misconstrue the text and distort the meaning. They encouraged practitioners to read Zhuan Falun from the wrong perspective and took turns attacking their minds endlessly. The so-called transformed ones were named by Jiang and his followers as "a special combat team". They have become Jiang's mouthpieces to spread lies and harmful thoughts.
In response to the various forms of persecution in Masanjia, there was open opposition as well as silent resistance from Falun Gong practitioners.
Information about the persecution of practitioners in Masanjia is highly restricted. Practitioners being beaten or punished had several "personal cangues" (there were "open cangues" and "secret cangues") to watch them closely (Translator's note: cangue, the name of an instrument of torture, is now used to indicate the person who was designated to supervise the behavior of practitioners.). Nobody is allowed to get in touch with the practitioners, not even their families. Therefore, the heinous deeds being committed in Masanjia are hard to reveal. However, the truth will come out in the end. In the near future, everything will be exposed.
We ask all the kind-hearted people to appeal to the Human Right Organization in the United Nations and related organizations all over the world. Ask them to come to Masanjia for an independent investigation on how Falun Gong practitioners are being persecuted in the name of "transformation". Please help in securing the release of all the innocent Falun Gong practitioners.
Falun Gong practitioners have faith in "Truthfulness, Benevolence, and Forbearance". They have faith in Falun Buddha Law. They have not violated the state law, nor have they committed any crime. The persecution of Falun Gong practitioners will not escape justice.
Written by practitioners in Mainland China on Feb 9, 2001