December 3, 2001

( Wu Jiyang, a 34-year-old female practitioner who peacefully appealed in Beijing on October 27, 1999, was arrested and then abused and tortured by the Qianmen Police Branch. She was kicked violently by four to five policemen in Fengtai Baseball Field on October 28. While being detained in the Huairou County Detention Center, she was kept from obtaining a sanitary napkin while menstruating. On November 16, 1999, Wang Dianbin from the Xiangfang Police Branch extorted 1,100 Yuan from her and 1,000 from her family. On December 9, 1999 she was kicked, slapped and beaten by Zuo Miao and Liu Ying in the Harbin No. 2 Detention Center. On April 26, 2000, during her time in the Wanjia Labor Camp, she was locked up in isolation in a "small cell" for 38 days, and forced to sit in an iron chair for 10 days and 9 nights while being given insufficient food. (Translator's note on the "small cell": The detainee is locked up in a very small cell individually. The guards handcuff practitioners on their back in a fixed position, in which the practitioners can neither move nor lie down. The small cell is very damp and no sunshine comes in. Detainees have to urinate and defecate in the cell. Only half of a regular meal is served to detainees locked up in a small cell during the daytime. During the night rats often infest the cell. The stench in the small cell gets so bad that it is difficult to breathe.) Between January 31 and February 5, 2001, she was forced to stand for 14-16 hours a day, not allowed to have a mattress and blanket, forced to sit motionless in an iron chair for long periods of time, handcuffed to the prison cell railings and endured force feeding. Between March 9 and April 9, she was handcuffed to the prison cell railing by both of her hands. In September 2001, she was extorted out of 1,100 Yuan by Song Shaohui from the hospital in Wanjia Labor Camp.

Sun Yufeng, 28, validated Dafa in Beijing in October 1999. He was captured on October 20 and detained in the Harbin City Power Supply Branch Detention Center for 8 months, during which time he was beaten and verbally abused by criminal inmates as well as the police. He was released from the center in June 2000. On June 14, directed by Yang, the Security Chief of the Power Supply Branch, someone with the surname of Zhang and Yang Shouyi extorted 5,000 Yuan from Sun Yufeng in the name of "bail" and never returned it. On October 28, 2000, Sun Yufeng was again detained, this time by the Daowai District Security Branch in Harbin City. Sun, the Head of the Political Security Branch, confiscated 1,700 Yuan, a cell phone, pager and other belongings from Sun Yufeng. Sun Yufeng had been detained in the Daowai District Security Branch of Harbin for 8 months, during which time he endured vicious beatings and insults by criminal inmates. The guards employed various means of brutal torture to try to extract a forced "confession," including beating Sun after wrapping his head in a plastic bag. Sun suffered a severe head injury that required many stitches. He was sent to 2 years of forced labor, starting from August 2001. He is presently being detained in Changlinzi Labor Camp, Harbin City.

Harbin Power Supply Public Security Chief Zhang, Yang Shouyi: 86-451-2108845

Harbin Power District Jinxiang Police Station: 86-451-5674517, 86-451-2681690

Harbin Daowai District Public Security Branch: Chief Sun, 86-451-8387435

Harbin Law Enforcement Department: Guo and Zhang, 86-451-4610014

Sun Shuxia, a 52-year-old female practitioner, was arrested by police in Tiananmen when she appealed in Beijing on February 1, 2000. She was detained in Harbin's provincial office in Beijing for 3 days, and then another 18 days after she had been sent back to Harbin on February 7. She was kept in the "severe punishment class" during the detention, which entailed sitting still from 7 a.m. in the morning until 10:00pm at night. No movement was allowed, and her bottom and ankles turned purple. At night, each person had a space only 20 cm wide to sleep in. It was difficult to breathe and therefore hard to get any sleep. Then on February 25, 2000, Wang Shengli from Xiangfang Police Station, Harbin City, extorted 3,000 Yuan from her. Qu Aimin, Head of Personnel Department at Sun Shuxia's work unit, suspended her salary without any valid reason after her trip to Beijing to appeal in April 2000. Now she is being pressured to write a "guarantee" [to give up cultivation], or else her salary would not be reinstated. On July 22, 2000, she was arrested by the Xiangfang Police Patrol Unit of Harbin simply for making a large number of copies of Dafa information. Her home was ransacked as a result. The police tried to force her and her husband to curse Teacher, but they firmly refused. For her "disobedience" she was sent to the Xiangfang Police Branch of Harbin, and then to the 7th Department, to be detained for 56 days. She was forced to watch brainwashing videotapes of enlightenment along an evil path, and her detention was later further extended. She successfully fought for her unconditional release through a hunger strike. During the hunger strike, she was force-fed by the police with thick tubes 2 cm in diameter. On September 17, 2000, Xu Binzhang -- an officer from the Xiangfang Police Branch of Harbin -- extorted another 900 Yuan from her.

Di Lihua, a 52-year-old female practitioner, was detained at the Yingfeng Police Station, Yanshan Branch, for going to Beijing to appeal in 2000. A vicious policeman rolled up a newspaper and hit her on the face. She was forced to squat while barefoot and her hands in handcuffs. Her face was beaten so severely that her eyes were swollen shut, her mouth could not remain closed, her eyeballs turned red and she became deaf at times. After she was sent back to Harbin, the Xiangfang Police Branch extorted 3,000 Yuan from her.

Ma Junyong, a 51-year-old female practitioner, was arrested in Beijing on December 2, 2000. First she was detained for 2 days in the Jiamusi City representative office in Beijing, where each Dafa practitioner was given only 20 cm of space to sleep in and yet had to pay a 60 Yuan per day for room and board. The transportation cost of getting her to the office was 70 Yuan, but she was extorted 210 Yuan for those 2 days. On December 7, the Zhongshanlu Police Station and Xiangfang Police Branch of Harbin City extorted 4,000 Yuan from her family and brought her back from Beijing. She was detained in the 7th Police Department in Harbin for 36 days. As a result of strong protests and hunger strikes from Dafa practitioners in this detention center, she was released. During the detention period, she was force-fed once. On January 4, 2001, the Xiangfang Police Branch in Harbin City extorted 3,000 Yuan from her.

Li Xiuhua, a 45-year-old female practitioner, was detained for 22 days by the Qianmen Police Station, for appealing in Beijing on September 4, 1999. She was sent back to the 7th Police Department of Harbin and detained there for another 15 days. On July 22, 2000 she was detained again for 48 days, simply for leaving a message that Falun Dafa is a Righteous Way in the Provincial Museum. In August 2000, the female Party Secretary of the Xiangfang Hongqi Office extorted 500 Yuan from Li. On November 20, 2000, Li was arrested again for storing Falun Gong truth clarifying material at home. She was cruelly tortured from 5:30 p.m. until 7:00 a.m. the next day. Shi Shubin and Gao Ruixiang from the Daowai Police Branch extorted 6,400 Yuan from Li in total. They also confiscated her computer and printer, together worth over 6,000 Yuan. On the evening of the 21st, she was sent to the detention center and since then has been detained for 330 days, or nearly 11 months. On February 13, 2001, Gong Hanlong from the Harbin Steel Mill extorted 2,200 Yuan from her. On October 8, 2001, after 8 days of hunger strike, as well as strong protest from practitioners against the prolonged detention, she was finally released.

Zhu Qiangong, a 50-year-old male practitioner, was arrested on February 24, 2000 at Tiananmen Square for appealing. Wang Wenqing from the Yushu County Police Station handcuffed Zhu and brought him back to Harbin. He was detained for 36 days in the Daoli Police Branch Detention Center, where he endured inhumane treatments and was forced to pay more than 300 Yuan for meals. The Yushu County government also extorted 2,000 Yuan from Zhu and tried to force him to write guarantees "not to go to appeal in Beijing." Wishing for his early release, his family contacted the Prosecutor Kong Xiangbin, who extorted 800 Yuan from them. After his release, the county government sent policemen to monitor and supervise him, resulting in constant intrusions at his home.

Wang Pinggui, male practitioner, went to Beijing to appeal on April 25, 2000. The "610 Office" (an agency specifically created to persecute Falun Gong, with absolute power over each level of administration in the Party and all other political and judiciary systems) officials in Suihua's Representative Office in Beijing extorted 500 Yuan from him, and the person in charge of the Political Security Division, Wangkui Public Security Branch extorted 3,000 Yuan from him. He was detained for 18 days and forced to pay 360 Yuan.

Jin Shenghua, 26-year-old male practitioner, was arrested on December 28, 1999 on his way to file an appeal letter. After being detained for 2 days in Harbin's Representative Office in Beijing, he was brought back to Harbin City and detained in the Nangang District Police Branch for 15 days. He had 760 Yuan extorted from him during this period. His persecutors included an office worker from Songhuajiang Police Station in Harbin City, Han from the Political Security Division, Nangang Branch, Harbin City, and some individuals from the Nangang District 610 Office.

Bi Limin, a 51-year-old female practitioner, went to Beijing to appeal in order to validate and protect Dafa. On December 28, 1999, she was asked whether she practices Falun Gong at Tiananmen Square, and subsequently arrested. She was kept in Harbin's Representative Office in Beijing for 2 days and then escorted back to Harbin by Yuan from the Songhuajiang Police Station. She was then detained in the Harbin Number Two Detention Center for 15 days. While at the detention center, Bi Limin was forced to bundle toothpicks. Space for sleep is so limited that she had to sleep on her side and was unable to move or get up to use the toilet for the whole night. They ate, slept, and worked all on the same bunk. She had 110 Yuan extorted from her for room and board for the 15 days of detention, 600 Yuan for transport, and 50 Yuan for meals in Harbin's Beijing Office. Her persecutors included Jiao Zuoyi, Deputy Director of Chinese Medicine Factory, Heilongjiang Chinese Medicine University; some individuals from the Executive Committee, Heilongjiang Neighborhood Office; police officer Yuan from the Songhuajiang Police Station, who was in charge of the area; Han, an official from the Political Security Division, Nangang Police Branch; as well as some individuals from the Nangang District 610 Office and the Harbin City 610 Office.

Jin Shengrong, 22-year-old female practitioner, began her studies in the Chinese Language Department in Harbin University, Heilongjiang Province in 1998. She held up a banner at Tiananmen Square on December 20, 2000 to validate Dafa, and was arrested and detained. During her detention she firmly refused to write the "3 letters" (Letter of Guarantee, Letter of Repentance, and Letter of Severance), so her detention period was further extended for 7.5 months (222 days in total). She was immediately expelled by the University, and so she was unable to continue her studies in the past year. She was extorted 1,326 Yuan for food and lodging during the detention. Her parents visited university officials more than 10 times during this period, asking them to help in pressing for her release, but they were refused every time. Her persecutors included Yan Chunjuan, Party Secretary, Chinese Language Department Branch, Harbin Education University, and Zhu Xiaoping, the Vice Party Secretary in the department, some officers from the University Security Office, and individuals from the University Authority; Yang Renyi, officer from the Political Security Division, Nangang Police Branch, Harbin City; leaders of the Political Security Division, Nangang Police Branch, and individuals form the Nangang District 610 Office.

We hope and call for governments and individuals from the international community, as well as all kind-hearted people to help urgently. Stop this persecution against good-natured citizens just because they practice Falun Gong!