Yang Yining was a Ph.D. candidate in Computer Science at the University of Transportation in Shanghai. On July 22, 1999, the situation in China suddenly changed. Lies and persecution toward Falun Dafa and practitioners were everywhere. As a Falun Dafa practitioner, Yang soon realized that he should step forward to clarify the truth to the people in the world. The police considered him to be the most "stubborn minded."

In October 1999, the People's Congress was preparing to make a new law to persecute Falun Dafa. Yang went to Beijing again with a righteous belief in Falun Dafa. He went directly to Zhongnanhai (the government headquarters) to express his heartfelt voice to the government leaders. The police hand-cuffed him and sent him back to Shanghai. Yang pointed out that it was against the Constitution of China to forbid citizens to appeal to the government and that the police were violating the law. The University police detained him for several months. Yang did not waver in his belief at all. The evil people were not satisfied since they did not achieve the goal of destroying his will. The police in the Transportation University and Anhui University (where Yang's father worked) conspired to threaten his family members that Yang would be sent to a labor camp. With Yang family's agreement, he was illegally sent to a mental hospital for as long as three months and was inhumanly tortured with psychiatric drugs. Yang was finally released but was continuously under house-arrest at his home in Anhui Province.

Yang's fiancée Zhao Lijun is also a Falun Dafa practitioner. She went to Tiananmen Square in Beijing to validate Dafa in the Spring Festival 2000. She was sent back and detained in Wuhan, Hubei Province. She openly clarified the truth and spread Falun Dafa while she was in prison. After she was released, she went back to Shanghai to work. In the morning of the Chinese New Year's Eve 2001, her local police kidnapped her on her way to work. They sent her to a brainwashing class but she did not change her mind. After that, the local police kidnapped her again from home and sent her to a brainwashing class in Qingpu and tortured her for several months.

Under the aggressive evil persecution, Yang and Zhao both made statements that were against their hearts. However upon gaining freedom, they immediately announced that those statements were invalid and went back to join the flow of assisting the Teacher in Fa rectification.

Yang and Zhao met, got to know each other, and fell in love with each other through cultivating Falun Dafa. Since they were persecuted, they were forced to be separated, yet they still helped and encouraged each other when facing the tremendous hardships. After the severe test, they were again united. Although the persecution is still continuing, they always have active and optimistic minds. They even began preparing for their wedding.

Unexpectedly, news has come that both of them have recently been arrested. We do not know their whereabouts and their current situation and hope that people who know can provide information about them.