Latest News from China - 09/28/2001
- [Chengdu City, Sichuan Province] 610 Office Granted Unchecked Power
- [China] A Kind-hearted Young Man Protects Dafa Practitioners
- [China] A Disabled Practitioner Validates Dafa
- [Shijiazhuang City, Hebei Province] Criminal Conduct of a Policeman in Zhao County Police Station
- [Mengyin City, Shangdong Province] Local Practitioners Sent to Brainwashing Class
- [Shuizhou City, Hubei Province] Police Harass Relatives of a Falun Gong Practitioner
- [Shuizhou City, Hubei Province] Saving Sentient Beings
- [Hegang District, Heilongjiang Province] Police Arrest Two Practitioners
- [Lezhi County, Sichuan Province] Policeman Says, "Falun Gong Is Incredible!"
- [Changping Township, Beijing] Female Practitioner Escapes From Detention Center
- [Chaoyang District, Beijing] Cases of Recent Persecution
- [Shenzhen, Guangdong Province] A Dafa Information Storehouse Damaged by Police
1. [Chengdu City, Sichuan Province] 610 Office Granted Unchecked Power
According to a county official in Chengdu, the Committee of Politics and Law and the "610 Office" (an agency created by the Chinese government to deal specifically with
issues related to Falun Gong) currently have nearly unlimited power. In order for any court to begin an investigation or indictment against any official higher than Deputy Bureau Chief, it has to be first approved by the Committee of Politics and Law and the "610 Office." As a result, public prosecutors have lost even more independence. The Committee of Politics and Law is now able to control the fate of every senior government official. This action is clearly related to the suppression of Falun Gong. It allows the "610 Office" to protect officials who persecute Falun Gong and at the same time commit other crimes.
2. [China] A Kind-hearted Young Man Protects Dafa Practitioners
When two Dafa practitioners returned to their apartment and were about to open the door, they heard some people talking inside. They realized that their place had been discovered by the police. The two quickly went upstairs and knocked on a neighbor's door. They frankly told the young man who answered the door, "We are Falun Gong practitioners. The police are downstairs to arrest us. Could we stay at your home for a few moments?" The young man was a bit nervous in the beginning, but then quickly calmed down and invited the two in. The young man said, "I've read your flyers, and I know you are good people." He went to the balcony several times to check on the situation downstairs. He then handed garbage bags to the practitioners for cover and advised them on how to get away. With his help, the two practitioners were able to escape safely.
3. [China] A Disabled Practitioner Validates Dafa
I am a disabled housewife. Before attaining Dafa, I could not take care of myself. After attaining the Fa, I have benefited so much and can now do all the housework. When the evil forces came to sabotage Dafa and prevent us from practicing, I was resolutely willing to give up my life and went to Beijing to validate the Fa three times. Even though I had difficulty moving about and had virtually no financial sources, I didn't draw back in the face of pressure. I know that I have Teacher and the Fa, and I have nothing to fear.
One day several months ago, I was at home reading Clearwisdom articles when four policemen came to my home. One of them snatched away my articles and demanded to know where they came from. Meanwhile, he tried to grab Teacher's photo. I sent forth righteous thoughts and clarified the truth to the four policemen. I told them about the consequences of good and bad deeds. In the end, they left without taking anything related to Dafa.
One day in July, I went to validate the Fa by writing "Truthfulness Compassion Forbearance, Falun Dafa is good!" on the roadside. I was forcefully taken away by policemen, but I used my righteous thoughts and did not cooperate with the evil. I told the police that I did the most righteous and best thing. In the police substation, I was not afraid of being beaten or sent to jail. Keeping in mind every moment that I was a Falun Dafa practitioner, together with sending forth righteous thoughts, I was able to walk out of the police substation with dignity in front those policemen. Now, I am firmly doing what a Dafa practitioner should do, closely following the Fa-rectification process, actively eliminating the evil to defend the great and sacred Buddha Fa, and conducting myself as a dignified practitioner.
Because my home faces a street with a lot of pedestrian traffic, I wrote things to promote the Fa on my door: "Falun Dafa is suffering the most grave injustice!!! Restore the rights of the common people!"
4. [Shijiazhuang City, Hebei Province] Criminal Conduct of a Policeman in Zhao County Police Station
In July 2000, I was arrested for validating Dafa in Tiananmen Square and held at the Mentougou Detention Center in Beijing. I did not cooperate with the evil, refusing to give my name and address, and went on a hunger strike in protest. Three days later, I was transferred to the Zhao County Detention Center in Shijiazhuang City, where I continued my hunger strike.
On the third night in Shijiazhuang, a policeman in his forties from the Politics and Security Division of the Zhao County Police Station came to interrogate me and took me to his station. As soon as we arrived, the policeman started to physically abuse me, while two policemen in their twenties helped. Since I was not cooperating, the policeman tied me up with a rope and exerted all his strength to twist my arms. Later he tightened the rope with all his strength, and it carved into my arms. He did not stop there and started to slap my face. After many slaps, my mouth started bleeding, and my teeth felt loose. He then cursed me like a common hoodlum, while the two other policemen chimed in with their own insults. Later on he gave me another half dozen slaps in the face. Then, a senior looking man, apparently his boss, walked in and said, "OK, send her back." So, they sent me back to the detention center.
It was after midnight when I came back to detention center. A fellow practitioner saw my swollen face, bleeding gums and bruised arms, and she asked me what had happened. I told her about how the policeman had assaulted me. The following morning, several of us went to see the director of the detention center and asked for a meeting with the police chief. After a while, the police chief came, and I told him what had happened the night before. He saw my bruises and said that he would handle this case, but we don't know if anything came of it.
5. [Mengyin City, Shangdong Province] Local Practitioners Sent to Brainwashing Class
Peng Bo, female, Gao Jun and three other Dafa practitioners working at the Shandong Yinmai Brewing Company were sent to a brainwashing class. Liu Peihou, female, in her 60s, of Chengguan Township, was also sent to the brainwashing class. She has been on hunger strike for almost ten days, but she is still being held.
6. [Shuizhou City, Hubei Province] Police Harass Relatives of a Falun Gong Practitioner
Practitioner Gong Huaqing, a teacher at the Wenfeng Middle School, was constantly harassed by policemen Hu Anming and Liu Guoliang. As a result he was forced to leave home and wander about at the end of 2000. However, Hu Anming still did not let up. He went to Gong's home many times, deceiving and threatening his family members to find out Gong's whereabouts. The police have often followed Gong's mother when she went out.
Once when Gong's mother went shopping, Hu Anming followed her and rudely searched her basket. Not finding anything, he had to let her go. Another time because she missed her son very much, she went to an old, blind fortune-teller to inquire about her son. After she left, Hu took the fortune-teller and interrogated him in the police car. The old blind man was terrified, and he repeatedly said that she just inquired about her son's future. Without getting any useful information from the interrogation, Hu had to release the old man.
7. [Shuizhou City, Hubei Province] Saving Sentient Beings
A local practitioner often gives truth-clarifying flyers to vendors when she goes shopping. Once she gave some literature to a young man, telling him to read it carefully at home. She also asked him to keep "Truthfulness Compassion Forbearance" and "Falun Dafa is good" in mind and recite those words when he had time. He nodded his head in agreement and said, "OK." A few days later when she saw the young man again in the market, he said to her, "Falun Gong is so miraculous! One day when I was taking a rest, I thought of what you told me and recited "Truthfulness Compassion Forbearance, Falun Dafa is good." I immediately felt my body getting warm and felt relaxed like I have never experienced before."
8. [Hegang District, Heilongjiang Province] Police Arrest Two Practitioners
On September 25, 2001, Hao Shuxian, a female practitioner, was arrested for making Falun Gong truth-clarifying materials. More detailed information is being gathered.
At around 5:00 pm on September 26, 2001, four policemen brought practitioner Hou Xinyu to the Hongjun Police Station under the pretense of checking on his residency permits. He was later detained in the Xiangyang Police Substation. More detailed information is being gathered.
9. [Lezhi County, Sichuan Province] Policeman Says, "Falun Gong Is Incredible!"
A few policemen tore down all the flyers and banners that they saw on their way to arrest a Falun Gong practitioner. When they went back an hour later, they found that banners were put up again all along their way back. They were overheard saying several times, "Falun Gong is incredible!"
10. [Changping Township, Beijing] Female Practitioner Escapes From Detention Center
On April 8, 2001, a veteran practitioner and I were arrested while distributing Dafa literature. Because I refused to answer their questions during interrogation, a policeman abused me by denying me sleep, not allowing me to use the restroom, slapping me in the face, pulling on my hair, and forcing me to stand in the rain. However, I did not give in. Then another policeman came in, trying to shake my belief in Dafa by trying to coerce me using sentimentality, but he also failed to move me. Throughout the entire interrogation, I did not say anything. Several guards surrounded me, cursing at me and threatening me.
At 11:00 o'clock that night, the first policeman began to interrogate me again, and it was obvious that he was drunk. He threatened to lock me up with a male inmate in an iron cage. He then turned off the lights and forcibly pushed me down to the floor. I refused to submit with all of my strength, and he did not prevail. The next day they continued to interrogate me. Because I still did not speak a word, they brutally beat me again. Eventually they had to write down "Said nothing" on their interrogation record, and three policemen forced me to take fingerprints. Then the veteran practitioner and I were sent to the Changping Detention Center. A few days later, we went on a hunger strike to protest the illegal detention. During our nine-day hunger strike, officers of the detention center talked with me many times, attempting to convince me to give up the protest. They even sent a person who had betrayed Falun Gong to my cell, expecting that he could pour his evil thoughts into my mind. They also sent us to a brainwashing class for two days, but in the end they did not succeed. Throughout the hunger strike, we remained peaceful in our hearts and sent forth our righteous thoughts. We only followed Dafa as our teacher without cooperating with any of the evil forces' arrangement. Finally they unconditionally released us. The head of the Changping Detention Center even took us to a railway station personally and bought two tickets to Shenyang City for us. Having experienced these tribulations, we returned to our hometown.
When that veteran practitioner went home, the local police arrested her again. I was forced to leave home to avoid the persecution.
The badge number of the policeman who tortured me was 050143.
11. [Chaoyang District, Beijing] Cases of Recent Persecution
1. Hu Jialou Police Station is notorious for persecuting practitioners. One day policeman Li Tieshan, whose badge number is 031612, and another policeman with badge number of 031624 attempted to tear out Master Li's picture from a Falun Gong book and threatened to force practitioners to trample on Teacher's picture if they refused to give their names. After practitioners sent forth their righteous thoughts, a policeman said, "Let it go. Don't force him to step on this picture." The book was torn a little and tossed to the ground. Later on a young guard picked up the book and started reading it.
2. A district attorney from the Public Security Sub-bureau of Chaoyang District said, "As long as you are a Falun Gong practitioner, I will arrest you whether it's legal or not." Some practitioners had tried to persuade him to change his attitude towards Falun Gong. They told him that even inmates in the detention center changed their minds and wanted to be good persons after learning about the Falun Dafa principles. But the district attorney said, "We can allow a thief to steal or a prostitute to make a living out of prostitution, but we won't allow them to study Falun Gong."
3. At the end of August this year, a group of practitioners were sent to the Chaoyang Detention Center, where they started a widespread hunger strike. Those practitioners who had endured their tribulations passively gradually realized that they had attachments of seeking comfort and fearing hardships. They joined in the hunger strike one after another. The head of the detention center took various violent measures such as force-feeding and forced-infusion to coerce us to give up the hunger strike, but his efforts were in vain. Finally, he had to unconditionally release a group of practitioners. Fearing that such an unconditional release would result in more practitioners joining the hunger strike, the officials told them that those who were actually set free had been transferred to "the Seventh Section of Criminal Investigation," a department of local Public Security Bureau notorious for its cruel tortures.
12. [Shenzhen, Guangdong Province] A Dafa Information Storehouse Damaged by Police
On July 12, 2001, a plain-clothes policeman followed a practitioner to a location where lots of Dafa literature was being stored. The police then raided this site and destroyed or damaged much of the Dafa materials and equipment stored there. Practitioner Li Xiangxian, Zeng Dapin (female), and Zhang Zhenshan were also arrested. Because the police are blocking all information about them, we have not learned of their current whereabouts. If anybody has detailed information about these three practitioners, please let us know.