Falun Dafa Minghui.org www.minghui.org PRINT

59-Year-Old Woman Doused with Cold Water in Freezing Temperatures While Serving Time for Her Faith

Feb. 11, 2024 |   By a Minghui correspondent in Heilongjiang Province, China

(Minghui.org) A Harbin City, Heilongjiang Province, resident was subjected to severe abuse while serving time for practicing Falun Gong, a spiritual discipline that has been persecuted by the Chinese communist regime since 1999.

Ms. Wang Jingli, 59, was arrested at home on June 10, 2021, while caring for her three-year-old granddaughter. She was beaten by the inmates at the Harbin City No. 2 Detention Center. She had injuries on her head and her teeth were loosened, yet the guards accused her of “inflicting self-harm.”

After six months of detention, Ms. Wang was sentenced to three years by the Daoli District Court on December 23, 2021. She was transferred to the Heilongjiang Province Women’s Prison on February 18, 2022.

Because Ms. Wang refused to renounce Falun Gong, the guards instigated the inmates to torture her by offering term reductions and other incentives. Between November 17 and 19, 2023, when the temperature was between -13°F and 5°F, inmate Huang Tingting poured more than ten basins of cold water over Ms. Wang’s head.

Torture illustration: Pouring cold water over the head

Past Persecution

Prior to her latest sentencing, Ms. Wang had been arrested and detained multiple times for upholding her faith. She was arrested on July 25, 1999, for going to Beijing to appeal for the right to practice Falun Gong. She was held at the Shuangcheng Detention Center for 70 days and then transferred to the Guxiang Detention Center. The guards took turns beating her, sometimes with PVC pipes. She was once forced to wear shackles for eight days.

Ms. Wang was later given one year in the Wanjia Forced Labor Camp. She held a hunger strike to protest the persecution in the labor camp. The guards attempted to force feed her but failed, so they beat her in retaliation. After her term expired, the authorities held her in a brainwashing center for another month before releasing her.

She was arrested again on February 20, 2020, when she met with another practitioner, Ms. Cui Xiuqin, at a supermarket. She was chained to a metal chair overnight at the police station.

Related Report:

Heilongjiang Woman Sentenced to Three Years for Her Faith