Falun Dafa Minghui.org www.minghui.org PRINT

Beijing Woman Arrested Prior to Winter Olympics, Accused of Distributing Falun Gong Materials a Year Ago

Feb. 9, 2022 |   By a Minghui correspondent in Beijing

(Minghui.org) Ms. Jiao Shuying was arrested by police officers who broke into her apartment on January 23, 2022. She was taken to Changping Detention Center the next day. The resident of Changping District in Beijing is accused of distributing Falun Gong informational materials a year ago.

In early 2021, the Hongfuyuan Residential Area, where Ms. Jiao lives, was locked down due to the Zero-COVID policy. All the residents were required to submit their personal information when the authorities ordered massive PCR tests of local residents. The police located her via the information her family submitted for her. But instead of arresting her back then, they waited a year and arrested her weeks before the Winter Olympic Games to be held in Beijing.

The police ransacked Ms. Jiao’s apartment and confiscated two calendars and several card readers. Before her arrest, a Pingxifu Police Station officer went to confirm she was at home by claiming to be conducting a census. Her 90-year-old mother is now on her own, struggling to care for herself.

Ms. Jiao’s arrest wasn’t an isolated incident, as the communist regime has always arrested Falun Gong practitioners prior to major events or politically sensitive days, under the pretext of preventing them from speaking out about the persecution of their faith that has lasted for 23 years.

On January 20 and 21, 2022, five practitioners from the nearby Chongli District in Zhangjiakou City, Hebei Province, one of the three Winter Olympics zones to host the snow sports, were arrested.

Meanwhile, eleven Beijing residents were sentenced to up to eight years on January 14 for taking pictures of Beijing during the height of the pandemic. Ms. Xu Na, who was given the longest term of eight years this time, was also targeted during the 2008 Beijing Olympics and sentenced to three years in November 2008. She also lost her husband, Mr. Yu Zhou, after the famous folk singer died in custody 11 days following their arrests in January 2008. He was 42.

Repeatedly Persecuted for Her Faith Since 1999

Ms. Jiao had over 20 health problems when she was young, including liver disease, stomach disease, rheumatism, and lumbar disc protrusion. They put her in bad mood all the time. She was grumpy and often cursed at people. When she was 36, she looked like she was in her 60s. She was laid off from Changping Second Textile Factory due to her poor health.

She changed into another person after she started to practice Falun Gong in 1998. All her health issues were gone and she could eat and sleep well. By following the principles of Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance, she became gentle and kind and never cursed again.

After the Chinese Communist Party started the persecution of Falun Gong in July 1999, Ms. Jiao was detained and forced to undergo brainwashing many times. Her two children grew up in the fear of losing their mother at any time.

Ms. Jiao went to Tiananmen Sqaure to appeal for Falun Gong in November 1999 and was detained for 15 days. She was arrested three more times in 2000. In April she was detained for two weeks, in July for a month, and in November 2000 for a month.

To avoid further arrests, she was forced to live away from home in March 2001, even though she was pregnant. Sometimes she had to stay in caves. While she was away, the police often harassed her family. Even the sound of cars frightened them.

She went home a few days after her second daughter was born but was arrested right away and taken to a detention center. The guards beat her and poured cold water over her, knowing that she was still sensitive to cold after just giving birth.

Ms. Jiao’s husband, who had practiced Falun Gong and recovered from many serious illnesses, stopped practicing after the persecution started. He passed away on April 6 2004, due to the stress and his wife’s repeated persecution.

Ms. Jiao was arrested in July 2007, again by officers from the Huangkan Police Station. She was beaten for an entire day in Huairou Detention Center. When she went on a hunger strike to protest the persecution, the guards force-fed her. The police extorted 2,000 yuan from her family. They had to borrow money to pay up.

In September 2015, the police harassed Ms. Jiao and her older daughter several times. To get Ms. Jiao’s phone number, the police also harassed Ms. Jiao’s brother-in-law. The police attempted to find Ms. Jiao again during the “Knocking on doors” harassment campaign in 2017 but had to give up as she was living out of town.

Related article:
Falun Gong Practitioners Arrested in Winter Olympics Host City Near Beijing