(Minghui.org) Mr. Gao Hengbai stated in his own defense during in a trial at the Pingdu Detention Center on April 2, 2018, “The reason I share the goodness of Falun Gong is to let people know the truth and receive good fortune… I did not commit a crime, so I should be released immediately.”
Mr. Gao is a 46-year-old resident of Nancun Town, Pingdu City and graduate of a technical academy. He was reported to police and arrested for distributing table calendars which contained information about Falun Gong at a farmer's market on December 16, 2017.
An arrest warrant was illegally issued by the Pingdu City Procuratorate on December 29, 2017.
The Pingdu City Court of Shandong Province tried Mr. Gao at Pingdu Detention Center on April 2, 2018. The trial ended without an announced verdict. Mr. Gao remians in detention as of this writing.
Mr. Gao’s eldest sister spoke in his defense at the trial:
“My brother often fought violently with his wife before he practiced Falun Gong. But after he became a practitioner, the family became harmonious. What kind of crime did he commit?
“Judge Li, I hope you can speak for justice and truly judge by the law. If a good person like my brother is sent to prison, heaven will not allow it and your conscience will be condemned.”
Judge Li Yan retorted, “What you said is not related to this case. Besides, you are insulting me!”
Mr. Gao’s neighbor also submitted testimony asserting that Mr. Gao became a good person after he practiced Falun Gong: “In 2016, his neighbor’s gas pipe caught fire and the whole family ran outside to avoid an explosion.
“Mr. Gao was awakened by the commotion. He grabbed a blanket and soaked it with water, then rushed across the street to his neighbor’s house to put out the fire.”
Upon hearing the neighbor’s testimony, prosecutor Zhang Zhenxia exclaimed, “It is normal that a person with a conscience would do righteous things!”
Mr. Gao's attorney entered the following defense statement in his client's not-guilty plea:
1) The indictment accusing Mr. Gao Hengbai of “sabotaging law enforcement” lacks sufficient evidence. The facts are unclear and the wrong article of the law was cited; therefore, it is not admissable evidence.
What is the implication of “sabotaging law enforcement?” Does it mean that he obstructed the law in his social life and wielded power over people and convinced them to do wrongdoing?
For example, Bo Xilai, the former Party Secretary of Chongqing, turned Chongqing into an independent region. That is truly an act of sabotaging law enforcement!
However, my client is an average citizen. He had no such intent; even if he did, such an act is beyond his capability.
2) The prosecution offers no corresponding evidence to prove that Mr. Gao had sabotaged law enforcement.
3) The interrogation record of the police station should be declared invalid for its illegal procedure and suspected forgery.
4) The identification statement provided by the prosecution does not meet the law’s requirements and lacks certification and personal information about the person who made this identification. The party that offered this identification was unqualified and lacks connection to my client.
In particular, it is important for the court to objectively appraise the contents of the Falun Gong materials confiscated as evidence. Falun Gong teaches people to be good; whereas, the Chinese Communist Party has committed wrong in persecuting good people.
There is no association between the evidence presented and the conclusion drawn in this case.
5) Mr. Gao did not infringe upon on anyone's rights. The prosecution has no evidence to prove my client’s act has caused harm to others, society, or public property. In summary, Mr. Gao Hengbai should not be prosecuted by law.
Mr. Gao's elderly mother did not recognize her son upon seeing him, as he had lost a lot of weight. After the trial concluded, Mr. Gao's entire family implored the judge to allow them to speak with him. The judge agreed, but the bailiff blocked the family from getting close to him and abruptly dragged him into a waiting police vehicle.
Pingdu City Court:Li Yan (李岩), 30s, female judge that wrongly sentenced two Falun Gong practitioners: Ms. Li Li and Mr. Jiang TaoCell: 86-532-80817967, Office: 86-18563906220
Zhang Zhenxia (张正夏), 40-something male. He was a teacher who illegally prosecuted Mr. Jiang TaoTelephone: 86-13658689958
Sheng Xianting (生显亭), director of Landi Police Station:Cell: 86-13969616887, Office: 86-532-66587608