Falun Dafa Minghui.org www.minghui.org PRINT

Ms. Li Wenjuan Tortured in Shanghai Women's Prison

June 19, 2015 |   By a Minghui correspondent in Shanghai, China

(Minghui.org) Ms. Li Wenjuan, in her 60s, is from Shanghai. She was illegally arrested when she went to visit another Falun Dafa practitioner in June 2009. She was sentenced to four and a half years in the Shanghai Women's Prison and was severely tortured.

Inmates pulled her hair and smashed her head against the wall. She was forced to stand for several days and was deprived of sleep. She was handcuffed and hung up for three days. She became so emaciated and weak that she fell and broke her leg.

To the astonishment of all, she recovered completely by doing the Falun Dafa exercises.

Ms. Li was released in December 2013.

The following is what Ms. Li was subjected to in Shanghai Women's Prison.

Under orders from the head of the team, Zhang Yongmei, and deputy team leader Yao Di, inmates were proactively involved in the brutal torture of Dafa practitioners, both physically and psychologically.

Forced to Stand and Deprived of Sleep

When Ms. Li went to the bathroom, inmates pulled her hair and smashed her head against the wall. Inmates, led by Chen Wen, forced Ms. Li to stand for long periods of time. At first, she was made to stand for four days and nights nonstop. A few days later, they forced her to stand for six days and nights. Several days later, they made her stand for eight days and nights.

She had to stand with both legs completely straight facing a smelly rag that was hung on the bed of the top bunk. If she tried to bend just a little, the inmates kicked and punched her.

In the winter, she was only allowed to wear a thin layer of clothes, and the window was left open. When she dozed off, inmates poured cold dirty water over her head, soaking her clothes.

She was tortured like this for over a year. Due to prolonged sleep deprivation, her blood pressure rose dramatically. Yao Di ordered inmates to drag her to her office and force-fed her unknown drugs. Ms. Li writhed on the floor in pain.

Tortured and Humiliated

Ms. Li was forced to sit on a small stool for over 20 hours a day, and her buttocks festered with pus and blood. Inmate Chen Wen hit Ms. Li's hand with a bamboo stick until it was swollen and severely bruised.

When Ms. Li fell asleep, inmate Zhang Wenhua pulled her blanket away and pinched her. Ms. Li was then forced to get up and clean the toilet in the middle of the night. The inmates slapped her face and kicked and punched her wantonly.

Chen Wen made Ms. Li jump up repeatedly, bringing her knees up to a required height. She was severely beaten when she couldn't manage it.

The guards also hung her up by handcuffs to a bunk-bed rail for three days and nights.

Slandering Falun Dafa

Practitioners are ordered to read materials that slandered Falun Dafa, while inmates wrote notes that defamed the practice and stuffed them into the practitioners' clothes and shoes and put them on their beds.

The inmates even stuck these notes on the floor so that the practitioners would have to step on them.

Nearly Paralyzed after a Fall

Ms. Li lost almost half of her body weight. She was taken to the “intensive unit” for four months. She wasn't allowed to go outside or have family visits. The guards there didn't even allow her to take a shower.

When she was eventually returned to her cell, she slipped on the floor while taking a shower and fractured her thigh bone. At the hospital she was told that any form of surgery could leave her paralyzed from the waist down and that she might have to spend the rest of her life in a wheelchair.

Fracture Healed by Practicing Falun Dafa

Ms. Li faced the news with a calm heart. She had always told people of the benefits of Falun Dafa, so the head of the team, Zhang Yongmei, said, “Your femur is fractured. If you can recover by practicing Falun Dafa and without surgery, I will practice it with you.” Others said similar things.

Ms. Li broker her leg on June 16, 2011. She was bedridden and chose not to have any treatment.

On August 8, she suddenly felt heat around the fractured area and then felt it move throughout her entire body. The next morning, she could sit up, get out of bed, and walk slowly around the ward.

The medical staff and other patients were stunned. A doctor took an X-ray and discovered that the bone was completely healed, with no evidence of fracture.

When she was seen walking normally, the guards and inmates were astonished by the healing power of Dafa. They were ashamed of themselves and told Ms. Li that they mistreated her because they were pressured by the prison authorities, who threatened to extend their terms if they didn't cooperate.

Background Information

Ms. Li, who is from the Putuo District in Shanghai, was the vice president of the union for the No. 101 Factory under the Instrument and Meter Bureau.

From the time she was a child, she suffered from a series of ailments, including back and leg pain and rheumatism. She was bedridden for about six months of the year.

Adding to the family's burden, her husband and daughter were also ill, and her whole family lived in despair. She taught herself Western and Chinese medicine and practiced many types of qigong, but nothing helped to cure her ailments.

She was introduced to Falun Dafa in April 1997. After reading the Dafa books, she followed the principles of Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance in her daily life. She put others' interests before hers and worked hard at her job. Shortly after she became a practitioner, her illnesses disappeared. Because of this, her entire family lived in joy, peace, and harmony.

After Jiang Zemin, former Party secretary of the Chinese Communist Party, and his gang launched the persecution of Falun Dafa in 1999, Ms. Li was frequently arrested for her belief. From 2001 to 2002, she was repeatedly taken to the Qingpu Brainwashing Center and subjected to brutal brainwashing.

She was arrested by officers from the Putuo 610 Office and Domestic Security Division when she went to visit a fellow practitioner in June 2009, and was held in the Zhabei Detention Center.

While there, she went on hunger strikes to protest her detention. A week later, she was taken to the Nanhui Prison Hospital and force-fed. After she was released, she was transferred to the Putuo District Detention Center.

She was sentenced to four and a half years and was transferred to the Shanghai Women's Prison in 2010.

Earlier Reports:

Li Wenjuan Suffers Severe Thigh Bone Fracture, Songjiang Women's Prison in Shanghai Refuses to Release Her for TreatmentMs. Li Wenjuan Subjected to Intense Persecution and Suffers a Bone Fracture