Falun Dafa Minghui.org www.minghui.org PRINT

The Hospital Gave Up on Me, But I Had Faith That I Would Recover

June 13, 2018 |   By a Falun Gong practitioner in Qingdao City, Shandong Province, China

(Minghui.org) I am 84 years old and I live in the countryside. Because of the Chinese Communist Party's (CCP) policies, I was very poor and had to work very hard since I was young. This left me with numerous health problems including dizziness, gallbladder problems, and leg pain. My wife was not healthy, either, and she suffered from stomach flu, a nervous breakdown, and headaches from stress. We did not have money for treatment and had to endure year after year.

A neighbor told me in 1998, “I heard that Falun Gong is really effective at improving health and curing illnesses. Do you want to give it a try?” Both my wife and I began to practice it.

We attended group exercises both in the morning and in the evening in those days. We also listened to the audio lectures every day. We were very excited and happy. Within two months, my wife and I had regained our health. I was not able to work on the land, but led others to do construction work. Our life became better and better, and we became a wealthy family in the village.

I would like to share several stories about how Master Li Hongzhi (the founder of Falun Gong, also called Falun Dafa) helped me.

A Second Life

Former communist party leader Jiang Zemin banned Falun Gong in 1999 and started a massive hate propaganda and persecution of the practice. To help people understand Falun Gong and the severity of the suppression, my wife and I went out on our bikes every day to distribute informational materials.

The police took me to the local police station one day in 2002. They tortured me for five days during detention and extorted 5,000 yuan from me. Upon arriving home, I felt immense pressure and I slacked off in studying the Fa principles. As a result, I suffered from illness tribulations, including a horrible stomachache.

My children were not practitioners and they took me to a hospital. The doctors said it was intestinal cancer and operated. Six days later, I felt something wrong and noticed the incision was open. The doctor operated again and sewed up the incision. It opened again on the fourth day. In addition, there was a lump due to excessive gas in the intestine. 

One doctor said, “This isn't working. You can only live for a few more days, so you can go home now.” I looked and saw that my intestines were almost falling out. So I covered the opening with my hand to keep them from falling out on the floor. This rattled the doctor, who stepped out and discussed with my son and daughter in the hallway whether or not to send me home. They talked for three hours while I held my intestines in for three hours. No one came to talk to me during that time.

I remained calm and held only one thought in my mind: I am a Falun Gong practitioner and Master Li will take care of me.

My children asked the doctor, “Isn't there an emergency treatment?” The doctor was impatient, “You would do better to leave now. We will not charge for the second surgery. Please just go!” 

Someone told us that the doctors were afraid that, if I died in the hospital, my family may hold them accountable. So they were in a hurry to send us home. My children asked for my opinion. “Let's go home,” I said. "I have been thinking about this for a long time.” Seeing no better solution, my children wrapped a bandage around my abdomen. They took me to a vehicle on a stretcher and we went home.

I lay in the bed, unable to eat. In addition, I kept vomiting fluid tainted with blood. The incision also kept bleeding. Even the chicken soup my wife gave me came out from the incision. The skin on both sides of the cut was rotten. Seeing the thread exposed out of the incision, my wife pulled it out and discarded it.

Friends and relatives who visited me were frightened by my condition. “This isn't going to work out. We'd better prepare for his funeral,” one of them said.

My sister brought me a shroud and I told my wife to discard it, “I am a practitioner and Master will take care of me. I will recover for sure.”

Surprisingly, I did not feel any pain after the surgeries. Knowing Master has helped me, I was not afraid and was very calm. My mind was clear all the time. Since coming back home, I listened to Master's audio lectures every day, while my wife did the Falun Gong exercises next to the bed. In the beginning, I could not get up and could only mimic some movements. Later, I was able to sit up and began to do more movements. I did not take medication during those days. My wife just cleaned the incision with water, salt water, or alcohol.

Surprisingly, the incision had no infection at all, nor did I have any fever. My wife also had strong faith in Master. She was not afraid and reminded me to believe in Master. Because I could not eat, my body was emaciated. My friends and relatives did not even dare to look at me.

A doctor in the village came to see me and said, “Since you cannot eat, how about injecting you with some nutrition?” I thanked him and said no, “I will be fine. I am a Falun Gong practitioner and my Master will take care of me.”

Time passed quickly, and the incision and rotten skin dried day after day. The eight-inch-long incision also began to heal from the edges to the middle. At the one end of the intestine, the cut was big, about two inches in diameter, and it was difficult to heal. One day, my wife noticed something new was growing from inside my abdomen, which later filled the gap. I was very grateful and said to my wife, “Master is so capable and he is always around to help us.”

The incision fully healed in about two weeks and I was able to get out of bed. Within a month, my wife and I could go to the farmer's market to tell people about Falun Gong.

Our friends, relatives, and residents in the village were all impressed. They told more people about me: “A man was dying and even the hospital refused to admit him. But he recovered by practicing Falun Gong.”

When I went out to tell others about Falun Gong, the people who knew me liked to hear my story, while those who did not know me were curious. Some learned how the CCP had been harming people and they decided to quit the Party.

I also went to police departments and my former workplace, telling people about Falun Gong and then asking them to quit the CCP organizations.

A Court Case

The news that I recovered also reached the hospital. Instead of acknowledging it was medical malpractice, the hospital sued me, saying I did not pay my bill.

When my wife and I went to the court hearing, we saw lots of bystanders. In front of the judge, I told what had happened: “The doctors told me to go home because they did not want me to die there. They also told me that they would not charge me for the surgery. After returning home, I did not take any medication. It was Falun Gong and my Master that helped me recover. Without Falun Gong or Master Li, I would have died a long time ago.” Many people in the courtroom were convinced it was the hospital's fault. They said I should sue the hospital instead of paying them.

“As a Falun Gong practitioner, I follow the principles of Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance and I am trying to be a better person, so I will pay the bill anyway,” I said. Many people in the courtroom were surprised and looked at me with admiration.

I then borrowed money, went to the hospital, and paid the money to the doctor and hospital director. “We all know you could not help me and that I was sent home. I am not resentful because I am a Falun Gong practitioner. I was able to recover because I practice Falun Gong,” I said. They nodded in agreement. I then told them that one is blessed by remembering “Falun Dafa is good” and “Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance is good.” They thanked me and said that Falun Gong practitioners are good citizens.