Falun Dafa Minghui.org www.minghui.org PRINT

Guizhou Man Serving 3-Year Sentence Outside of Prison

January 24, 2018 |   By a Minghui correspondent in Guizhou Province, China

(Minghui.org) Mr. Li Qi was doing chores at home in mid-October 2016 when three officers broke in and arrested him.

This was not the first time that the Liupanshui City resident has been targeted for refusing to renounce Falun Gong, a spiritual discipline being persecuted by the Chinese communist regime. He was arrested once in 2004 and twice in 2015. His latest arrest was his third in 2016 within a six-month window.

Zhao Zhan, an officer with the local Domestic Security Office, took Mr. Li to Liuzhitequ People’s Hospital for an exam after his latest arrest. Mr. Li was diagnosed with heart problems and high blood pressure, but Zhao said he was perfectly fine for detention and drove him to the Liupanshui City First Detention Center.

The detention center demanded a second opinion, so Zhao took Mr. Li to Shuigang Hospital, which issued a similar diagnosis. Zhao had no choice but to take Mr. Li back to the local police station and released him three days later.

Mr. Li was placed under house arrest on November 2, 2016. His case was submitted to the local procuratorate three weeks later.

Mr. Li appeared in court on March 29, 2017. When he said he broke no law, Judge Yang Fen immediately ended the hearing.

When the hearing resumed on April 26, Judge Yang read aloud her ruling without asking Mr. Li any questions or giving him a chance to talk.

Mr. Li was sentenced to 3 years in prison and fined 2,000 yuan.

Officer Zhao and two other agents took Mr. Li to Guizhou Province People’s Hospital for an exam, and Mr. Li was diagnosed with an enlarged heart, irregular heart rate, and high blood pressure.

Because Mr. Li was unfit for imprisonment, judge Yang ordered him to serve his term outside of prison between May 7, 2017, and May 4, 2020. He must be examined every three months and submit the results to the Liuzhitequ Judicial Bureau. He has to report to the judicial bureau in person every six months.