Falun Dafa Minghui.org www.minghui.org PRINT

Ms. Wang Jing Tried in Detention Center Despite Serious Health Issues

January 28, 2017 |   By a Minghui correspondent in Heilongjiang Province, China

(Minghui.org) Ms. Wang Jing was tortured during her eight months of detention for refusing to give up her belief in Falun Gong, a spiritual practice persecuted in China since 1999.

While detained, her physical condition deteriorated and she was moved to the intensive care unit (ICU). Despite her precarious health condition, the local court decided to unlawfully try her for propagating a cult organization.

Ms. Wang, 63 years old, from Qitaihe City, Heilongjiang, was arrested on May 8, 2016, and taken to a detention center. She was force fed and mentally abused, resulting in the deterioration of her health.

Pretrial Irregularities

Her family and lawyers, worried about her health, demanded that she be spared a trial. Their efforts resulted in the local court canceling the trial scheduled for December 1, 2016, but they later rescheduled it for January 6, 2017.

The court refused to process the lawyers’ petition for Ms. Wang's medical parole and would not allow review of their client's case files. The authorities from the detention center also prevented the lawyers from discussing the case with their client.

The court moved the trial to the detention center over the protest of Ms. Wang's lawyer and family. On the day of the trial Ms. Wang was in a wheelchair, exhibited symptoms of hypertension, and had difficulties talking.

Two days before her trial on January 4, the detention center deputy chief talked to Ms. Wang's son. He claimed that the court would put Ms. Wang on probation if she and her lawyers did not challenge the court officials during the trial. If they did not comply, then she would be given a three year prison term. Her son turned down the offer.

The deputy chief continued to pressure the son, demanding that he advise his mother to admit guilt, and again claimed that she would be released immediately after the trial. Ms. Wang's son again refused.

Lawyer Repeatedly Obstructed

Ms. Wang was not included in a pre-trial meeting a day before the trial, because she was in the ICU. Thus, she was unable to review and question the evidence.

Her lawyer demanded to see Ms. Wang. The chief judge refused, unless the supervising agencies approved. At the hospital, he was told that he needed approvals from seven government agencies before he could see her.

When he finally met with Ms. Wang, he noticed that she was chained to her bed and looked emaciated. She could barely speak and seemed to have breathing problems. She was not told of the pending trial on January 6.

Because of her serious health condition, her lawyer told the court that she was unfit for being tried. The court refused to commit either way, but agreed to review her condition on the day of the trial.

Ms. Wang's family tried to see her. A guard demanded that the visit be approved by the detention center authorities. He claimed that Ms. Wang was in great health. He threatened arrest if they entered the prison hospital without proper approval.

The family was informed that only two family members could attend the trial, which would be held in the detention center.

Trial Preparations

On the day of the trial, Ms. Wang's family and the lawyers arrived early in the detention center. First, two security guards were monitoring them, which were then replaced by two armed policemen.

The lawyers refused to go through a security check before entering the detention center. They said that a lawyer has the same legal rights as public prosecutors, whom were exempt from being checked. In the end the two prosecutors had to go through a security check, as well.

During the trial, the family was prohibited from sitting behind Ms. Wang.

Ms. Wang was dressed in pink pajamas. She was emaciated, had breathing problems, and was not fully conscious. The court forced her out of the ICU for the trial, where there was no medical professional monitoring her health.

Court Session in the Detention Center

When the lawyer told the presiding judge Zhou Ludi that Ms. Wang was unfit for trial, Zhou responded that this issue was not under consideration. Zhou then asked Ms. Wang if she could stand trial. Ms. Wang responded in a weak voice that she could not hear because of ringing in her ears.

Prosecutor Li Dayu ordered the trial to go on. The presiding judge asked Ms. Wang to admit to the crimes as charged, which she did not do. When Ms. Wang objected to something, the judge or the prosecutor would interrupt her, try to confuse her and demand that she keep everything short.

Her lawyer objected to the evidence that they presented. He said that the evidence did not prove that Ms. Wang had the tools to produce Falun Gong informational materials, nor that she indeed promoted Falun Gong. Lastly, the prosecutor's deposition was not signed.

In his closing argument, the lawyer stated that no law in China stipulates that Falun Gong is a cult organization.

After the conclusion of the trial, Ms. Wang refused to sign the transcripts. She was then taken back to the hospital without having talked to her lawyer or her son.