Falun Dafa Minghui.org www.minghui.org PRINT

Xinjiang Engineer Dies Within Three Months of Her Transfer to Prison

July 29, 2016 |   By a Minghui correspondent in Xinjiang Autonomous Region, China

(Minghui.org) An engineer from Karamay, Xinjiang Autonomous Region died 83 days after she was admitted to Xinjiang Women’s Prison in Urumqi to serve five years for filing a criminal complaint against Jiang Zemin.

Ms. Zhao Shuyuan accused the former Chinese dictator of initiating the persecution of Falun Gong that resulted in her 9-year imprisonment earlier.

The 52-year-old woman was arrested on November 5, 2015 and sentenced to prison on March 7 of this year. She appealed, only to have her verdict upheld without an open hearing.

She was transferred to Xinjiang Women’s Prison on May 3. Her health quickly declined as the guards kept force-feeding and torturing her. Meanwhile, the prison denied her medical parole. Even after she fell into a coma on three occasions, they still refused to render proper treatment. She died on July 22.

Her family requested that her body be sent back to Karamay, but the prison authorities forcibly moved it to a morgue in Urumqi and threatened to have it cremated within 10 days.

Medical Parole Request Repeatedly Denied

When Ms. Zhao’s two lawyers met with her on May 31, they noticed she was extremely emaciated, weighing around 70 pounds. They immediately filed a request for her medical parole, but it was rejected.

Her son and lawyers made a second request on June 23, only to be denied again. They next visited the prison administrative bureau, but their quest for her medical parole went nowhere.

No Proper Treatment Despite Comatose State

Ms. Zhao fell into a coma three times in her final days, but was never given proper treatment.

She first lost consciousness on June 26. The guards rushed her to a local hospital, but took her back as soon as she came to hours later.

She fell into a coma again on July 12, and the doctors issued a “serious condition” notice. The guards brought her back the very next day.

She was in and out of a coma for a third time on July 19. Despite the critical condition notice issued by the doctors, prison officials planned to bring her back on the second day, citing lack of funds to cover her medical expenses.

Her family strongly requested she stay in the hospital for further treatment at their own expense. The prison officials relented, but it was too late. She would die three days later.


In 1999, Jiang Zemin, as head of the Chinese Communist Party, overrode other Politburo standing committee members and launched the violent suppression of Falun Gong.

The persecution has led to the deaths of many Falun Gong practitioners over the past 17 years. More have been tortured for their belief and even killed for their organs. Jiang Zemin is directly responsible for the inception and continuation of the brutal persecution.

Under his personal direction, the Chinese Communist Party established an extralegal security organ, the “610 Office,” on June 10, 1999. The organization overrides police forces and the judicial system in carrying out Jiang's directive regarding Falun Gong: to ruin their reputations, cut off their financial resources, and destroy them physically.

Chinese law allows for citizens to be plaintiffs in criminal cases, and many practitioners are now exercising that right to file criminal complaints against the former dictator.

Related Reports:Court Circumvents Defense Lawyer in Trial of Falun Gong PractitionerEngineer Brutally Force-Fed during Nine Years in Prison, Arrested Again for Suing Jiang Zemin