Falun Dafa Minghui.org www.minghui.org PRINT

The Cultivation Story of a 77-Year-Old Dafa Practitioner from Beijing

March 02, 2014 |   By Si Yugui, a Dafa disciple in Beijing

(Minghui.org) During my 21 years of Dafa cultivation, I have not only seen my health improve but have also become a much better person who conducts herself according to Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance. To say that I am deeply indebted to Master Li is an understatement.

In particular, I am immensely grateful that Master twice saved me from grave danger. Back in 1996 when I was hit by a flying truck tire, I didn’t even feel a thing, and I knew Master bore the pain for me. Fast forward to 2010 when I collided with a motorcycle on my bike. My face bled and swelled up, but it completely healed in just ten days.

Having benefited so much from Dafa, I was not fazed at all when the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) launched its attack on the practice in July 1999. I just knew I had to do better to validate the greatness of this practice. I was once arrested for doing the Dafa exercises in public, but with righteous thoughts, I left the detention center the very same day.

However, I had trouble talking to people directly about the facts of the persecution. I was afraid of being arrested, but thanks to Master strengthening me, I made a breakthrough in 2007. For the first time ever, I clarified the facts to a stranger and got her to quit the Party, right under the watchful eyes of patrolling police officers.

Since then, I’ve never stopped face-to-face truth-clarification efforts. While staying at my hometown between 2007 and 2011, I visited all the neighboring villages and talked to numerous people about the groundless persecution. I was able to help many of them quit the CCP and its affiliated organizations.

Now I live in the same city as my cousin-in-law, who also practices Falun Dafa, and the two of us encourage each other to do better in the three things required of us. Though I am already 77 years old, I am not afraid to learn new technology so I can make more and better truth-clarification materials. I just have one wish, which is to save as many people as possible.

Below I share my cultivation story.

Fortunate to Attend Master’s Sixth Fa-teaching Seminar

I remember clearly it was on January 4, 1993, when I attended Master’s sixth Fa-teaching seminar held in the auditorium of Beijing Nuclear Instrument Factory.

At the time my son was hospitalized for rectal cancer, and I myself had all kinds of health problems. I was always on the lookout for cures, so I immediately became interested when a colleague told me that Master would treat illnesses at the end of the seminar.

It was already the second day of the seminar when I went in, but I was hooked after listening to just one lecture. I came to see that Falun Dafa was no ordinary Qigong, but a Buddha School cultivation practice.

Returning home that night, I got rid of all the other Qigong books I owned and became a Dafa practitioner.

Though I had the heart to cultivate, I wasn’t too diligent until a few years later when I ran into an accident and was saved by Master.

I Didn’t Feel a Thing after Being Struck by a Flying Tire

One night in August 1996, I was walking my bike towards an intersection when I saw something black fly right by me. I stopped and noticed a heavy object slamming into the wall by the roadside before rolling away.

Several people rushed over and asked me how I was. I was taken aback since I hadn’t felt anything. They couldn’t believe it: “But we just saw a tire fly off a truck and hit you. Even your bike is damaged. How could you not have felt a thing?”

A young man inquired, “Ma’am, do you believe in Buddha? It looks like you have some superpower’s protection!”

I acknowledged that, as a Dafa practitioner, I did have my master’s protection.

When the truck driver emerged, the onlookers urged him, “Your tire hit this lady. Quick, get her to the hospital!”

He was frightened, but I assured him, “No worries. I practice Falun Dafa and I have my master’s protection. You can leave now.”

He offered to pay me, but I firmly declined. In the end, he marveled at his unbelievable luck: “I am so fortunate to have met such a good person like you today!”

The bystanders all agreed, “True! Such good people are hard to find nowadays!”

While doing the morning exercises the next day, I felt something spinning on the right side of my abdomen. When I checked upon returning home, I saw a purple lump on my belly where the tire had hit me, but it didn’t hurt at all.

After this incident, I knew everything Master said is really true! Master is the Lord Buddha! I felt so lucky to have found Master!

After that I became much more diligent in my cultivation. I attended the group exercises every morning and squeezed every bit of time possible to study the Fa. Soon I felt like I’d changed into a totally different person.

I Recovered in 10 Days after Colliding with a Motorcycle

While approaching a junction on my bike one evening in September 2010, I collided with a motorcycle carrying a young family.

I touched my face and felt blood dripping down it. I immediately shouted, “Master, please save me! Falun Dafa is good! Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance is good!”

The husband and wife offered to take me to the hospital, but I declined. I assured them I’d be fine with my master’s protection.

For some reason, the wife kept looking at me wide-eyed. She couldn’t restrain her curiosity any longer and asked, “Ma’am, it’s really strange. I can see the bruises on your face disappearing right before my eyes. The purple discoloration is gone, the swelling has gone down, and the bleeding has stopped. What did you shout out when we bumped into you?”

I replied, “I have a life-saving secret. Since fate has brought us together, let me tell you what it is.”

The whole family was eager to find out, “Please, tell us!”

I told them, “Whenever you are in danger, remember to shout ‘Falun Dafa is good! Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance is good!’”

The husband, the wife, and their six-year-old child immediately called out “Falun Dafa is good! Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance is good!”

My cousin-in-law, who was accompanying me on the bike ride, and I next sat down to talk to the family about the ruthless persecution of Falun Dafa and advised them to sever ties with the Party and its affiliated organizations. Without any hesitation, the three of them quit using their real names. They also gladly accepted the truth-clarification materials we gave them.

They kept thanking me, but I reminded them that they should thank my master instead.

My heart was filled with joy to see the young family saved.

When two of my non-practitioner relatives came to visit me the next morning, they couldn’t believe I had turned down the motorist’s offer to go to the hospital, “Well, if it were anyone else, she would have checked into the hospital and spent several thousand yuan to make sure everything was fine.”

I told them that, as a practitioner, I just couldn’t do that. I assured them I’d be fine in just a few days.

My cousin-in-law stayed with me day and night, studying the Fa, practicing the exercises, and sending forth righteous thoughts with me. To me, she was a godsend from Master. We asked Master to help me heal so that I didn’t end up with scars on my face. After all, I didn’t want to cause any damage to Dafa disciples’ image.

In less than a week the swelling subsided, and my face completely healed, with no scars or marks.

The two non-practitioner relatives were amazed by my quick recovery and finally understood why I was so determined in my cultivation. In the past, no matter how hard I tried, they just refused to quit the Party. Now they became totally convinced of Dafa’s power. Not only did they quit the Party, they also stopped referring to Master disrespectfully.

I felt like I had gained four things through this incident. I had negated the old forces’ arrangement to kill me and validated the Fa, and I had improved my xinxing and saved more people.

I Was Released the Same Day I Was Arrested

When I saw the TV footage of the Tiananmen Square Self-immolation on January 23, 2001, I knew immediately it was nothing but a farce. There were just too many suspicious elements.

I made up my mind to show the public how good Dafa is.

I began to practice the exercises in the courtyard just outside our apartment building with my husband. Four other practitioners in the neighborhood soon joined us.

We did our morning exercises like that for about six months, when the security guard warned us on June 28, “Don’t do that here anymore. I heard the police are set to catch you guys today.”

I shot back, “There’s nothing wrong with us practicing the exercises here every morning.” He admitted, “Well, I don’t mean to bug you. But now that the police have taken notice, I don’t want to lose my job because of you.”

I suddenly remembered what Master taught us in Zhuan Falun:

“If you are always compassionate and friendly to others, if you always consider other people when you do things, and whenever you have issues with other people you first think about whether they can take it or whether it will cause them harm, then you won’t have any problem. So, when you cultivate you should follow high and even higher standards.”

I suggested the four neighborhood practitioners go home and practice on their own, but my husband and I decided to move to a place outside our apartment complex. One of the practitioners insisted on joining us, so the three of us began to do the exercises at the new location.

The music player suddenly stopped when we were near the end of the fourth exercise. I opened my eyes and saw a policeman in front of us. Learning we were practicing Falun Dafa, the officer ordered us to turn in all our Dafa books.

There was no way I’d allow him to touch Master’s portrait in my home, so I said to him after he drove us to our apartment building, “You can’t go up to my apartment. You must wait here; otherwise I’m not going to give you my books.”

He agreed to wait outside and let me fetch my books on my own.

The three of us were taken to the police station before being transferred to the detention center. After going through the paperwork, we were driven to the hospital for a checkup.

At first I thought to myself that, as practitioners, we had no illnesses whatsoever. Not surprisingly, the x-ray and blood pressure all turned out normal.

But then I realized we shouldn’t allow the police to detain us, so I summoned a thought to have an abnormal electrocardiogram (ECG). All three of us indeed had really abnormal ECG results.

The detention center refused to admit us based on those results. We knew that Master protected us. It was very hot (38 degrees Celsius) that day and the policemen’s uniforms were all soaked in sweat. Yet the three of us didn’t sweat a bit.

We all returned home at around ten that night.

Since the police didn’t give me back my Dafa books and music player, I decided to go to the police station a few days later to request their return.

My family members were worried about my safety, but I had Master’ poem “Benevolent Might” in mind:

"Dafa is what you carry everywhere,
Zhen Shan Ren, rooted in the mind;
A great Arhat walks the earth,
Gods and demons fear with awe." (Hong Yin)

It was pouring that day, and the officers were surprised to see me. When they heard what I was there for, they told me that the policeman who arrested me had my books.

The arresting officer didn’t come back to the station until 6 in the evening, but he left again quickly without addressing my concern. He showed up a second time about an hour later and was shocked to see I was still there waiting for him.

I made it clear to him that I wouldn’t leave until I got my books back. He sighed, “I can’t believe you dare to come here asking for your books back! Lucky you! I haven’t turned them in to my supervisor yet.”

He gave me back my Dafa books and music player and reminded me to just practice at home.

I was able to face down the police, all thanks to the wisdom and courage Master gave me. I truly experienced what Master said in “The Master-Disciple Bond:”

"When disciples have ample righteous thoughts
Master has the power to turn back the tide" (Hong Yin II)

I Got a College Student to Quit the Party Right in Front of the Police

There were so many plainclothes police officers in Beijing that I was always afraid of talking to people directly about the persecution. I didn’t break through my fear until January 2007.

One day while taking a bus to Zhongshan Park to distribute truth-clarification materials and send forth righteous thoughts, I suddenly didn't feel well and had to get off before reaching my destination.

I sat down on a bench to send forth righteous thoughts and soon recovered. A young woman sitting on the same bench was very curious and asked, “You didn't look good at first, but now, in such a short time, you seem fine. How can that be?”

I told her it was a miracle, but before I was able to explain how it happened, a police vehicle pulled over just in front of us. Several uniformed and plainclothes officers jumped out and began to patrol the area.

I was not deterred and talked to the young woman as if the officers didn’t exist.

I explained to her why the regime launched the persecution of Falun Dafa and how quitting the Party could bring people good fortune. She was very interested but was apprehensive about the patrolling officers.

I assured her, “No worries. Only good people can hear us, and bad people can’t catch even a word.”

She was a college sophomore who had joined the Party not long before but was glad to agree to quit after our chat. She also took an amulet with a truth-clarification message on it. She kept thanking me before we parted ways.

This was the very first time that I had talked to a stranger and gotten her to understand the truth, and it had happened right in front of the police! I knew that Master had made all the preparations for me and had brought someone with a predestined relationship to me. I was greatly inspired by this experience and was happy to have overcome my fear of face-to-face truth clarification.

Clarifying the Facts in my Hometown

In the second half of 2007, the local police and street committee people kept harassing us at home as part of their preparations for the following year's Summer Olympics. My daughter was sent to a forced labor camp, and my husband passed away after failing to pass the sickness karma test.

My son, the only non-practitioner in my family, asked me to move out of his home since he didn’t want to be implicated because I was a cultivator.

I decided to leave Beijing and return to my hometown in a rural area.

Having lived in Beijing for more than 40 years, I was used to modern conveniences and climate-controlled rooms. However, the house my third sister had me live in had no HVAC system. I had to endure mosquito bites on the hot summer days and froze in the cold of winter.

Every morning I got up at 3:50 to practice the exercises and read Dafa books. Little by little, I no longer felt lonely and soon adapted to the new environment.

I made up my mind to cultivate myself well and save more sentient beings.

Among the dozen or so practitioners in the over 40 villages in the area, only three were actively doing truth-clarification activities. Having no truth-clarification materials production site, they had to travel to the nearest county (about 10 miles away) once every month to pick up materials.

The villages are spread out, and it took a lot of time and materials to cover them all. I volunteered to go to the county twice every month to pick up more varieties of materials (including brochures, DVDs, and stickers).

In the meantime, I suggested to the local coordinator to get everyone together for group Fa-study. I also invited the practitioners living in the county to come share their experiences of doing the three things.

One by one, our local practitioners got rid of their fear and began to feel the urge to save sentient beings. Four of them even installed satellite dishes to receive New Tang Dynasty TV programs, an independent TV station that broadcasts uncensored news and programming and also covers Falun Gong.

During the four years I stayed in my hometown, I visited almost all the villages. My experience was that as long as I had strong righteous thoughts, everyone I talked to was glad to take my truth-clarification materials.

Those I helped quit the Party and its affiliated organizations included both young and old, from elementary pupils to seniors in their 80s. They came from all walks of life, including government officials, police, teachers, students, drivers, vendors, fortunetellers, truck drivers, and business people.

Now I live in the same city as my cousin-in-law, and we encourage each other to do well in the three things.

Since there is no materials production site yet, I am trying to figure out how to do it myself. For the sake of saving sentient beings, I must learn how to make better truth-clarification materials.

At this point, I already know how to upload and download information from the Internet. Though there is much more to learn, I am confident I can do it.

I always encourage younger practitioners, “If I can learn how to do this, you can too.”