Falun Dafa Minghui.org www.minghui.org PRINT

Ms. Wang Ya Abused at Chongqing Women’s Forced Labor Camp

July 18, 2013 |   By a Minghui correspondent from Chongqing, China


Summary of Key Persecution Facts:

Name: Wang Ya (王娅)
Gender: Female
Age: 48
Address: Unknown
Occupation: Former secretary for president of Chongqing University
Date of Most Recent Arrest: June 2, 2012
Most Recent Place of Detention: Chongqing Women’s Forced Labor Camp (重庆市女子劳教所)
City: Chongqing
Persecution Suffered: Sleep deprivation, forced labor, illegal sentencing, beatings, imprisonment, solitary confinement, torture, physical restraint, detention, forbidden to take showers

Ms. Wang Ya is a Falun Gong practitioner from Chongqing. On June 2, 2012, she was illegally arrested and sent to Chongqing Women’s Forced Labor Camp, where she was incarcerated in the Fourth Team.

To protest the illegal detention, Ms. Wang refused to wear the labor camp uniform. Guard Han Lu ordered several inmates to cut Ms. Wang’s clothes off and forcibly put the uniform on her.

One day when Ms. Wang shouted “Falun Dafa is great,” several inmates taped her mouth shut and brutally scratched her fingers. They also punched and kicked her. Ms. Wang's fingers bled badly after the beating.

That evening when deputy team leader Yu visited her cell, Ms. Wang told her about the violence. Yu responded, “Let me check the surveillance video. If what you said is true, we will punish them according to the rules.” However, Yu later praised the criminals and said, “Good work.” Usually, criminal inmates avoid the video cameras when committing violence against other detainees.

For a year now, Ms. Wang has been singled out as a key target for abuse at the labor camp. Except for the guards and inmates assigned to watch her, no one else is allowed to see her or talk to her. Whenever she had to walk past other cells, the doors and windows are quickly closed so that no one can see her.

Ms. Wang Ya, 48, was the secretary to the president of Chongqing University. She used to suffer from arthritis and had to wear long sleeves, even in the summer. After she began practicing Falun Gong in 1996, all her physical problems were gone. She was happy and was a good worker. Before Ms. Wang began practicing Falun Gong, family members had to take care of her; now she has become a caretaker of others.

After the Communist Party began to persecute Falun Gong in July 1999, Ms. Wang was detained a number of times, for a total of seven years. The first time, she was arrested after a trip to Beijing and held at Maojiashan Women’s Forced Labor Camp in Chongqing. Right after she was released in November 2001, she was arrested again in Xiaoquan, a suburb of Chongqing, on January 2, 2002. She was sentenced to three years in prison, serving from 2002 to 2005 in Yongchuan Women’s Prison. On February 1, 2007, Ms. Wang and several other practitioners were arrested while they toured the Chongqing Culture Center one morning. Following this arrest, she served 19 months in a labor camp.

On May 4, 2012 as she was leaving her younger brother’s house, Ms. Wang was arrested by officers Liang Shibin and Liu Ling from the Jiangbei District Domestic Security Division in Chongqing She was sentenced to another forced labor term.

During her first 40 days in the labor camp, Ms. Wang was only given very small meals. Once, when Dai Wei, a labor camp administrator, saw a full bowl of rice in Ms. Wang’s hands, she told the criminal assigned to monitor Ms. Wang, “The next time I see her having so much to eat, I will reduce your food allotment.”

Ms. Wang was deprived of both food and sleep. She was only allowed to sleep between 1 a.m. and 5:30 a.m. Nearly every day, she was forced to remain standing or squatting for long periods of time. After she refused to squat, the guards changed the routine to extended standing and sitting.

To protest the persecution, Ms. Wang refused to wear the name badge for labor camp inmates, and the inmates assigned to monitor her were not able to make her wear it. In order to instigate hatred toward Ms. Wang, a team head forced the two inmate monitors to squat and stand continuously 500 times. The two women were in their 50s, and they struggled to complete the routine in tears.

When labor camp authorities tried to force Ms. Wang to write a “thought report,” she refused. In retaliation, they locked her up in a room and kept the windows and doors closed so there was barely any fresh air or ventilation in the stifling summer heat of July. Several other inmates were also locked up in the room, but no one was allowed to talk to her. One inmate couldn't bear the heat any longer, and begged the guards to let her out. The guard told her, “We'll let you out after you pass out.”

For nearly 40 days in 2012, from June through July, Ms. Wang was not allowed to wash her face, brush her teeth, or take a shower. Currently, she's allowed to wash her face and brush her teeth, but only once every three weeks, depending on the guards' mood.

Chongqing Women’s Labor Camp:
Head office of Team No. 4: +86-23-67549181
Administrator of Team No. 4: +86-23-67549185