Falun Dafa Minghui.org www.minghui.org PRINT

Ms. Zhang Furong Persecuted in a Forced Labor Camp and Tortured for Eight Years in Hunan Women's Prison

February 12, 2011 |   By a Clearwisdom correspondent from Hunan Province, China

Name: Zhang Furong(章芙蓉)
Gender: Female
Age: 52
Address: Changsha City, Hunan Province
Occupation: Employed with the Changsha City Electrical Equipment Corporation
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
August 21, 2002
Most Recent Place of Detention:
Hunan Women's Prison (湖南女子监狱)
City: Changsha
Persecution Suffered
: Fired from workplace, forced labor, sleep deprivation, interrogation, illegal sentencing, long-term standing, denied visitation, brainwashing, long-term squatting, beatings, insults, handcuffed behind her back

(Clearwisdom.net) After Jiang Zemin and the CCP cooperated to begin persecuting Falun Gong in 1999, Ms. Zhang Furong was fired from her job at the Changsha City Electrical Equipment Corporation. In 2000, she was sentenced to a year and a half of forced labor. In 2002, she was sentenced to prison for seven years and brutally persecuted in Hunan Women's Prison.

After practicing Falun Dafa, her cancer disappears

Ms. Zhang Furong had all kinds of illnesses when she was young. Later she had uterine cancer and chronic nephritis. She tried both Chinese and Western medicine but nothing worked. Chemotherapy made her lose all of her hair.

In 1997, Ms. Zhang heard about Falun Gong's health benefits and power to heal illnesses. She stopped chemotherapy and began practicing Falun Gong. Not long after, miracles happened. All of her illnesses were gone and her hair turned black again. The most important thing was that after studying Zhuan Falun, Ms. Zhang Furong said goodbye to her previous selfish personality and tried to be a good person by following the universal principles of Truth-Compassion-Forbearance.

The persecution begins and Ms. Zhang ends up first in a forced labor camp and then prison

1. Fired and sentenced to forced labor

In November 1999, the local government went to Ms. Zhang's work unit and pressured her to give up the practice of Falun Gong. She refused to. In December, she was fired. At that time her daughter was still very young and her husband had no job. Ms. Zhang had to rely on her relatives and friends to support her. In July and October 2000, she wanted to speak out on behalf of Falun Gong and went to Beijing twice to appeal. In October, she was sentenced to one and a half years of forced labor by the local 610 Office.

2. Sentenced to prison

The evening of August 21, 2002, several plainclothes officers broke into her home and dragged her downstairs. Her daughter witnessed everything and was so scared that she couldn't help trembling. Since then she has had mental aberrations that are hard to heal.

In the Kaifu District Branch Police Station, people from the Criminal Investigation Team, National Security Team, and the Kaifu District Political and Security Section handcuffed her to a chair and would not allow her to go to sleep. They took turns interrogating her for three days and nights. In 2003, she was taken to the No. 1 Court for a secret hearing. Several other Falun Gong practitioners were also sentenced to heavy penalties at the same time. Ms. Zhang was sentenced to seven years.

3. Hunan Women's Prison brutally persecutes Falun Gong practitioners.

In December 2003, she and four other practitioners were transferred to Hunan Women's Prison. As soon as they were admitted, they were placed in the strictly controlled section. They were forced to watch videos slandering Falun Gong. Each practitioner had several criminal inmates assigned to her to monitor her. The guards encouraged the criminals to help torment the practitioners.

When Ms. Zhang went to the office, she did not say, “Excuse me,” so the police would not allow her to enter. At the end of 2003, she delivered Dafa article to Li Deyin, a practitioner from Changsha Machine Tool Plant of Hunan Province. The police saw her, dragged her to a classroom, and made her stand from 7 a.m. until midnight for four days. They would not allow her sit down even to eat. Later Li Deyin was persecuted to death in prison.

Because Zhang Furong did not admit that she was guilty, she was forced to do slave labor far more than what the ordinary criminals did. The usual quota for a criminal inmate was to peel 17 pounds of broad beans. Falun Gong practitioners were forced to peel 50 pounds. Those who could work faster had to work from 6:30 a. m. until midnight. Those who worked slower had to work the whole night but still might not finish.

In 2006, the police carried her by force to brainwashing sessions and made her watch videos and look at books that slandered Falun Gong. Because she would not cooperate, she was forced to stand, squat, or sit on a single-legged stool. She suffered verbal abuse and was beaten and humiliated. Each day she was only allowed to sleep for half an hour. She became exhausted both physically and mentally and totally overwhelmed. The police handcuffed her behind her back, which is also called “carrying a sword” after they saw that she would not be “transformed.” They instigated criminal inmates to beat and verbally abuse practitioners who would not give up their belief. The entire brainwashing session was filled with voices of condemnation and endless arguments.

Worse still, they forced practitioners to do “homework,” which meant writing about how they felt after seeing the videos or reading the books that slandered Falun Gong. They were not allowed to write things like “Falun Dafa is good.” They were not allowed to go to sleep and were forced to watch videos slandering Falun Gong day and night. If practitioners said, “Falun Dafa is good” out loud, they would be brutally tortured. Whoever refused to write negative things about how they felt about Falun Gong would have credits deducted, their prison terms extended, and be forced to stand up, squat, and/or suffer sleep deprivation. In severe cases, they were brutally tortures, until some unwillingly wrote the three statements, which meant that they would give up their practice. But that was not all. Those in charge still wanted to consolidate the “learning outcomes” by continuing to force the practitioners to see the videos or books slandering Dafa and to write “homework” statements to slander Falun Gong, until they felt that they had completely “transformed” them. Then they would transfer such people to slave-labor teams.

Ms. Gao Jiarui did not want to be “transformed.” Guard Yang Xiaolan handcuffed her for a long time. The handcuffs cut into her flesh so deeply that her bones were visible. Lei Xiying, a practitioner over 50 years old and whose husband was in Xinkaipu Forced Labor Camp, was not allowed to use the restroom for a long time because she did not want to be “transformed.” She had to relieve herself in her pants. The guards then accused her of poor hygiene.

Ms. Tang Yuhua did not want to be “transformed.” During roll call, she did not cooperate. She was forced to hold difficult positions beyond the limits of the human body. This elderly lady, 40 inches tall, immediately paled doing the first move. After a few moves, she almost fainted because of the pain. The prison used this method that did not spill blood to torture Ms. Tang and humiliate her.

Ms. Chen Xiaoling, a handicapped practitioner from Ningyuan County, Yongzhou City, did not want to be “transformed.” She was persecuted for a long time. Both of her feet were covered with blood blisters and became purulent and bloody. They would not allow her to take a bath. She was tortured until she became disfigured. Each night she was forced to remain standing. She could not continue and fainted onto the floor. The criminal inmates who were monitoring her beat her to wake her up and forced her to continue to stand up again. They verbally abused her, saying that she was pretending to be dead.

After being “transformed” under high pressure, Ms. Zhang Lingge, a Changsha practitioner, felt pangs of conscience. She decided to start cultivation again. The police used electronic batons to shock her, forced her to stand up or sit on a single-legged stool, handcuffed her behind her back, etc. Beautiful Ms. Zhang was tortured until she went into a trance. She cannot raise her hands or do manual work, but the police still force her to work on slave labor products and the workload is a lot more than that of an average prisoner.

Since all uncompromising Falun Gong practitioners were persecuted in isolation, the truth about each case will likely never be known. This article only reports a small sampling of what goes on on a daily basis. The brutality of the persecution has not been fully exposed.

Hunan Women's Prison has not stopped persecuting Falun Gong practitioners. They still hold violent brainwashing sessions. In order to completely destroy practitioners, this CCP's prison uses extreme methods beyond the limits of human endurance to try to force people to “transform.”