Cases of Practitioners Arrested in Hubei Province under the Pretense of the Beijing Olympics
August 20, 2008
By practitioners in Wuhan City, Hubei Province
(Clearwisdom.net) The Olympic Charter states that the Olympic spirit
requires "mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and
fair play." However, the Olympic Games in Beijing has been a time of
hardship for the vast number of Falun Gong practitioners in China. The Chinese
Communist Party has not only excluded practitioners from participating in the
Olympics, it has escalated the suppression of practitioners in the months
leading up to the Games, all in the name of using the Olympics to glorify
itself. Zhou Yongkang, a member of the standing committee of the Politburo,
Secretary of the Central Political and Judiciary Committee, and director of the
Central Office for the Comprehensive Administration of Public Security, issued
orders for a "strike-hard campaign" against Falun Gong practitioners
earlier this year. In numerous cities, the authorities have offered monetary
rewards to people to turn in practitioners. According to a report on the Chinese
edition of Clearwisdom.net on July 27, 2008, between the end of 2007 and June
30, 2008, there were over 8,037 cases of unlawful arrests of practitioners
across the country. Incidents of practitioners being tortured to death or
seriously injured have been taking place consistently as a result of the
coordinated government campaign.
More cases have been reported by Clearwisdom.net since July 2008. Based on
the information that made it across China's information blockade, 26
practitioners were taken into custody in Wuhan City, Hubei Province. Among them,
2 were from Qiaokou District, 8 from Wuchang District, 5 from Hanyang District,
1 from Dongxihu District, 4 from Jiang'an District, 1 from an unspecified
district, and one whose name is not known. Most of these practitioners were
unlawfully arrested on around July 20. On July 19, 11 practitioners were taken
into custody. Details are as follows:
- On the morning of July 3, Mr. Xiong Wenyi was taken from his home to the
Erdaopeng Brainwashing Center in Jianghan District.
- On July 5, Ms. Li Junxia from Jiang'an District was taken to the Wuhan
City No. 1 Detention Center in Dongxihu District. Later she was transferred
to the Yangyuan Brainwashing Center in Wuchang District.
- On July 7, Ms. Zhang Cuiyun was taken to the Erdaopeng Brainwashing Center
by officers from the Changqing Police Station.
- Ms. Tang Dongru from Fuxing Village in Jianghan District was taken into
- At around 10:00 p.m. on July 14, Ms. Gao Bizhen in Wuchang District was
taken to the Yangyuan Brainwashing Center.
- In the early morning hours of July 16, Ms. Yang Jiamin was taken into
police custody at her home.
- At around midnight on July 15, Ms. Qin Hanmei, in her forties, who lives
near the Sanyanqiao area in Hankou District, was taken into custody.
- At around 3:00 p.m. on July 18, Ms. Hu Lifeng was taken from her home by
officers from the Beihu Police Station, officials of the neighborhood
administration office, and persons in charge of the residential community.
Her home was unlawfully searched.
- At around 10:00 a.m. on July 19, Ms. Cai Changzhen, in her seventies, who
suffered blindness due to police abuse, and Ms. Liang Shaolan were taken
away by six unidentified people at Ms. Cai's home in Qiaokou District.
- At around 9:00 p.m. on July 19, Mr. Zeng Jianxin was taken to the Wuchang
Brainwashing Center by officers from the Baisha Police Station.
- At 6:30 p.m. on July 19, Ms. Feng Lianhua, 53, was taken into custody by a
dozen people led by officers from the Ziyang Street Police Station.
- At 3:00 p.m. on July 19, Ms. Du Yufen was taken by nine police officers to
the Chenjiaji Brainwashing Center while she was in her store on Hanzheng
- On the afternoon of July 19, Wang Xiong (gender unknown), Ms. Chen Manqin,
Ms. Guo Guilan, and Ms. Guo Lingli were taken into custody at Wang's home by
officers from the Dunkou Police Station. Ms. Guo Guilan is being held at the
Chenjiaji Brainwashing Center, while the other three practitioners are at
the Taojialing Brainwashing Center.
- At around July 20, Ms. Guo Jiamei in Jiang'an District was taken to the
Chenjiaji Brainwashing Center. Her home was unlawfully searched.
- On the evening of July 19, Mr. Jin Heping, in his fifties, was taken from
his home in Fangzhi Village, Wuchang District, to the Yangyuan Brainwashing
Center by a group of people from the Yuqiao Police Station and the local
- At around 9:00 p.m. on July 19, Mr. Du Shanyou, in his sixties, was taken
to the Yangyuan Brainwashing Center by the police.
- On the morning of July 20, a practitioner whose name is unknown was
arrested at Zhongshan Park by a group of police officers led by Hu Shaobin
(male), head of the 610 Office of the Jiang'an District Party
- At around 10:00 p.m. on July 20, Ms. Tan Bilian in the Hanyang area was
taken to the Hanyang No. 1 Detention Center.
- On July 20, Ms. Chen Min, 54, was taken to the Yangyuan Brainwashing
Center by officers from the Xujiapeng Police Station. She was at her home in
the No. 4 Residential Community of the Vehicle Factory in Wuchang District.
- On July 24, Ms. Chu Lanying, in her seventies, was taken into custody in
Wuchang District by officers from the Yuqiao Police Station.
- On the morning of July 25, Ms. He Yan, 35, a music teacher at the Dongxihu
District No. 4 Middle School, was taken to a brainwashing center.
Ms. Xue Liangyan has been unlawfully sentenced to three years in prison, and
Mr. Peng Weisheng has suffered injuries from brutal beatings at the Hewan Forced
Labor Camp. Four practitioners who have received harsh sentencing are being held
at the Fanjiatai Prison in the Shayang area. Mr. Xu Jianjun, around 50 years
old, was sentenced to 13 years in prison. Mr. Yu Ganghai, 63, was sentenced to 9
years. Xie Fengji, almost 70 years old, was sentenced to 8 years. Mr. Liu
Shuisheng, in his fifties, was sentenced to 8 years. Their families have been
denied visitation unless they can bring papers from local police stations
certifying that they are not practicing Falun Gong themselves. There is no
receipt for the cash covering the living expenses that the families must submit
to the prison guards. Any valuable items they mailed in have been taken by the
guards for their own use.