Falun Dafa Minghui.org www.minghui.org PRINT

Elderly Widow Arrested by Police from Honggang District in Daqing City, Heilongjiang Province, Despite Severe Injuries from a Fall

June 15, 2008 |   By practitioners in Daqing City

(Clearwisdom.net) On the morning of April 7, 2008, Falun Dafa practitioner Ms. Wang Yanxiang, 71, mother of practitioner Ms. Liu Shufen, jumped from the window of her third floor apartment to avoid being arrested. She lived at number 6-10-3-301 in the No. 6 Residential Area in Chengfeng Village. Ms. Wang's neighbors found her and took her to Longnan Hospital in Daqing City. She suffered several broken ribs, a broken leg, and internal injuries that resulted in fluid in her pleural cavity. Her daughter Liu Shufen is unable to care for her, however, because Ms. Liu was illegally sentenced to eleven years in prison and is currently in Heilongjiang Provincial Women's Prison.

On July 5, 2007, practitioner Ms. Liu Sheng, who had left her home to avoid persecution, went to Ms. Wang's home, a rental unit of the Daqing City No. 5 Factory. Undercover police officers arrested both women. Ms. Wang was released after she had gone on a hunger strike for five days in protest. Ms. Liu Sheng, however, was tortured to death on September 11, 2007.

On September 27, officials from the Honggang District Police Department and District Attorney's Office illegally filed charges against Ms. Wang in Honggang District Court. Facing persecution, she did not dare stay at home, so she began staying at other locations for short periods of time. The Honggang District police searched for her everywhere. They went to her relatives' homes and even used a special device to unlock the door of her own home in hopes of capturing her.

Ms. Wang was forced to flee her home to avoid persecution. Kind-hearted people would sometimes give her shelter, but she did not want to cause them any trouble, so she usually did not stay with them for more than a day. When she was unable to find a place to stay, she would return to her own home and stay there secretly. She did not dare turn on the lights at night or make any loud noises. She also became very nervous whenever someone knocked on her door.

Ms. Wang returned home secretly on April 6, 2008. The next morning, someone knocked on her door. She panicked and jumped from the third floor window, suffering severe injuries.

Ms. Wang's daughter, her only child, was sentenced to eleven years in prison. Ms. Wang's husband, who was ill, missed their daughter very much, and the mental anguish made his illness even worse. He passed away about one year ago. Ms. Wang had no income, and whenever she was able to earn a little money, she used it to help her daughter in prison. She was unable to return to her own home, and she faced the possibility of arrest at every moment.

Officers of the Honggang District Court secretly arrested Ms. Wang only a month after her fall. At that time, her health was still fragile and she was unable to care for herself. They handed down a "court judgment" that neither she nor her friends or relatives had ever heard of before. She was taken to the No. 1 Detention Center in Daqing City.

We call upon all the relevant agencies to release Ms. Wang and other practitioners immediately and unconditionally.

May 31, 2008