Falun Dafa Minghui.org www.minghui.org PRINT

My Cultivation Story

December 22, 2002 |   By a Dafa practitioner in China

December 9, 2002

(Clearwisdom.net) My family lives in Northwest China. The three of us were living in a small shabby room without electricity or running water. I am short in stature and have one blind eye; the other eye is severely nearsighted. My wife walked with a crutch due to infantile paralysis. Back when my son was around 6 years old, the whole family relied on my 300 Yuan [Chinese currency, the monthly salary for an average Chinese urban worker is about 500 Yuan] per month salary for a poor living. Later, my work unit was restructured: I was listed as an unnecessary person, and was given only 210 Yuan per month. My home was broken into several times and a whole month's salary and daily items were stolen. We were worried all the time.

One day in August 1996, someone sent us two tickets to a Dafa introduction class. Since both my wife and I believed in Buddha, we were very interested. With my wife sitting in a wheel chair, I carried my son, and we three went to the class and started our practice in Falun Dafa. My wife followed one class after another, but still wanted to learn more. Going back home, we three would discuss with each other. By reading the book Zhuan Falun, we were enlightened to many truths and became broad-minded.

Such a great cultivation method--how could we not learn it! With no Dafa books, we started transcribing the books by hand. My wife would make hand copies by candlelight. On the 100th day after obtaining Dafa, electricity was connected to our home. My salary was resumed to its original level, and my son could go to school. Things were noticeably changing for the better.

We realized that the pains we felt before when we lost something were really unnecessary. We realized that the more attachments we got rid of, the easier our minds would be, the purer our minds and bodies would be, the more upgraded our virtue would be, and the clearer our minds would become. We got up early and came home late to practice in the Children's Park a kilometer away. Since Dafa was spreading from relative to relative, friend to friend, the number of practitioners had been increasing day by day.

Not long after, my home became a Dafa study site; we put most of our spare time into the practice of Dafa. Through arduous practice, my wife threw away her crutch and wheelchair; she could ride a bicycle, and could even carry some groceries when we went shopping. My chronic asthma and coughing disappeared, my body became very light and my heart was full of joy.

But in July 1999, evil stretched out its demonic hands to Dafa and kind hearted Dafa practitioners. All the media in China were mobilized to spread lies that slandered Dafa. Policemen and agents were mobilized to arrest Dafa practitioners and destroy Dafa books. Government, company and Party offices, even residents were mobilized to monitor Dafa practitioners tightly. Facing such huge pressure, millions of Dafa practitioners stepped out bravely to clarify the truth of Dafa to people, to appeal to the government, forming the powerful currents of Fa-rectification.

In the winter of 2000, carrying the only 300 Yuan our family had with her, my wife went to Beijing to appeal in the freezing wind. That was an especially cold winter. My wife and a fellow practitioner were gone, and my salary was suspended because I insisted on practicing Falun Gong. After going back home, I tested my son: "Now daddy's salary is suspended by my work unit since I insist on practicing Falun Gong. Should we still practice or not?" My son answered without hesitation: "Yes, we should practice!" I said: " Then let's break through this hardship together." We reduced our consumption to a minimum. The coal stove was lit for just a short while each day. One day, a fellow practitioner visited my room and found that we were running out of salt. She said suddenly: "Our Teacher has asked me to send you some salt." Then she gave me five bags of salt. I said in my mind: "Dear Master Li, I am sorry I keep you worrying about me."

The second day, fellow practitioners sent rice, flour, various items, and a heating stove for the winter. I accepted their aid with no more words, since our hearts are connected.

It got colder and colder, and my small room could not block the chilly winds. Wherever there was water in my room, it would freeze. But thinking of the brave fellow practitioners who went to Beijing to appeal, who were tortured in the jail, who had lost their lives for Dafa, I really felt very comfortable, and knew I should be happy.

Later, my room was secretly closely watched, and was searched six times. Lots of Dafa materials and many Dafa books were taken away. My son and I were detained twice, my wife was detained six times. Currently she is still being detained, and even I do not know her recent situation.

Jiang's regime has persecuted Falun Gong for more than three years, and Dafa practitioners have suffered a lot. But dark clouds won't be able to block the sunshine, spring is getting closer. Come, fellow practitioners! Do not slack off. Let's work together in the final stage of Fa-rectification to welcome the day when Dafa rectifies this world.