Falun Dafa Minghui.org www.minghui.org PRINT

Police Extort Money from Practitioners In Mishan City, Heilongjiang Province

January 13, 2002 |  

(Clearwisdom.net) Kind-hearted people, the following is a partial account of how Mishan Policemen Liu Qin and Meng Qingqi, and Du Yongshan of the Politics and Security Department, extorted money from Falun Dafa practitioners.

Wang Xiaowei, male, from Lianzhushan Township, went with his wife and child to Beijing to appeal for Falun Dafa. They were arrested and escorted back to their hometown by the local police, who demanded the Wangs to pay for their airfare and tickets for a sleeper train to and from Beijing. In addition, with the assistance of a policeman named Zhang Fanghong from the local detention center, the police extorted 4000 Yuan [Chinese currency, the monthly salary for an average Chinese urban worker is about 500 Yuan] from Wang's relatives without his knowledge. They were fined an additional 10,000 Yuan before they were released.

Wang Junhua, female, a worker from the Mishan Bureau of Livestock, was taken into custody on May 25, 1999 by local policeman Meng Qingqi simply because she practiced Falun Gong. Unable to find any excuses to detain her longer, Meng released Wang Junhua on the condition that she pay 6000 Yuan. A few days later, some practitioners went to Beijing and Meng was afraid that Wang would follow suit, so he took her into custody again and later sentenced her to 2 years in Wanjia Forced Labor Camp. She was later transferred to Jiamusi Forced Labor Camp. Wang was tortured so brutally that she could barely speak or move when the police notified her family to pick her up, claiming that she was seriously ill.

Zhang Yutang, male, a carpenter from Tiexi Village, Mishan City, was detained for 40 days for practicing Falun Gong. One day after he was released, he was taken into custody again and held at the First Detention Center. His family was forced to pay 3000 Yuan for his release. In December 2001, local police stormed into his home, took his wife (who is not a practitioner) away and ransacked his home. Zhang was forced to live on the street to escape further persecution.

Xing Defu, male, the second son of Zhang Yulan, a practitioner who was tortured to death at Wanjia Forced Labor Camp, was arrested while he was working in the fields in the name of distributing Falun Dafa flyers. His motorcycle, worth 5000 Yuan, was confiscated. He was detained for more than 20 days before being sentenced to Jixi Forced Labor Camp.

Xing Delu, male, the third son of Zhang Yulan, was arrested with the same excuse, along with two practitioners from Daqing City, Heilongjiang Province. The police confiscated four cellular phones and four pagers. The police also took away 10,000 Yuan in cash from the practitioners. Xing Delu is still being held at Mishan Detention Center. They also searched the five-year-old grandson of Zhang Yulan, twice ransacked Zhang's home, and took away 200 Yuan.

Liu Changlong, male, from the Mishan Grain Depot, blind, was detained for 51 days and fined 1700 Yuan for listening to Falun Dafa audiotapes. While Liu was being detained, the police headed by Meng Qingqi searched Liu's home during the night, and Liu's mother-in-law was so scared that she became seriously ill afterwards. After Liu was released, the family was forced to leave home and live on the street.

Wang Youxia was sent back to the Wanjia Forced Labor Camp in October by Meng after being released from there. After the Wanjia Forced Labor Camp refused to admit her, she was illegally sent to Heilongjiang Forced Labor Camp for Drug Offenders.

Wang Shixiang, 62, male, was taken into custody on January 15 of the lunar calendar. Legally, he couldn't have been detained there for more than 15 days without being charged, but he was held there for over 9 months. Detained along with Wang were Zhang Fuchun, 69, and Zhang Jian, 54. All three of them were held beyond the legal limit, during which they were transferred to Jixin Asylum for 3 months. Later Meng Qingqi, who once said to Zhang Fuchun, "I will make sure that you die here!" also sent them to forced labor camp. Wang Shixiang and Zhang Fuchun were beaten and verbally abused by the guards, and they were often not allowed to use the restroom.

Zhang Jian, female, 54, was shackled to an iron chair for 8 days and 8 nights for clarifying the truth of Falun Gong. It is hard to imagine how one can do something like this to an elderly woman.

Meng Qingqi told a practitioner with the last name of Li from Chengzihe Township that if he paid him 1000 Yuan, he would not be arrested. Li was not able to come up with the money and as a result, Meng sent in his subordinates to arrest Li's wife. Li had to borrow money to pay Meng to avoid arrest. This is just one of the many examples of extortion. Many practitioners, including a professor with last name of Qian from University of Agriculture, were forced to pay money and valuables to avoid arrest or to be released.

According to a partial estimate, the police have extorted a total of 900,000 Yuan from Falun Dafa practitioners. All the money has been allocated to the local 610 Office, [a agency specially created to persecute Falun Gong with absolute power over each level of administration in the Party and all other political and judiciary systems] the department of Politics and Security, and the Bureau of Finance. As soon as some of the these facts were exposed, the police sent out plain-clothes policemen to monitor practitioners and their family members, tap their phones and check identification at the entry of some of the apartment buildings.

Mishan City, Department of Politics and Security

Phone number: 86-467-5230149

Postal Code 158300

Section Head: Meng Qingqi

Phone number: 86-467-5231270

Other perpetrators: Liu Qin, Li Gang, Du Yongshan

December 31, 2001