Media Advisory: TWO YEARS TOO LONG
[NEW YORK], June 4 - Jiang Zemin's regime has continually escalated its brutal persecution of Falun Gong for nearly two years now. The lies and propaganda have not let up. Tens of thousands in China suffer torture and severe abuse while illegally imprisoned for their beliefs; every base means imaginable is used to break their will, including brainwashing, slave labor, and rape. There are already 216 that we know of who have died from torture and abuse in custody
On June 5, 2001, those who practice and support Falun Gong will gather at Chinese consulates and embassies around the world. We gather to demand the immediate, unconditional release of all those detained in China for practicing Falun Gong. We call for an immediate end to the ban on Falun Gong and the vicious persecution.
Chinese embassies and consulates have become an unlikely political weapon in the regime's campaign. They have spread hateful propaganda to their host countries, and have consistently turned away thousands of concerned American and Chinese citizens who come to their doors demanding answers. These embassies and consulates have clearly forsaken their mission. Now they must listen to the people.
Our appeal highlights the cases of five non-China residents who are still illegally detained:
- Dr. Teng Chunyan (New York, US) - American permanent resident, sentenced to three years in labor camp on Thanksgiving Day, 2000.
- Zhu Ying (Montreal, Canada) - Canadian permanent resident, secretly arrested by police on May 10th in China's Guangdong province on her way to visit family. Currently missing.
- Zhao Ming (Dublin, Ireland) - A postgraduate student in computer science at Trinity College, Ireland, imprisoned and tortured at two labor camps since July 2000.
- Chu O-Ming (Hong Kong) - Hong Kong permanent resident and SAR passport holder, arrested on September 7, 2000, after filing a lawsuit against Jiang Zemin. Currently missing.
- Hu Guoping (Tokyo, Japan) - Japanese researcher, arrested in February 2000 in Beijing for taking pictures at the Tiananmen Square. Sentenced to three years in labor camp.
Appeals are planned for a number of cities, including: Hong Kong, Sydney, Tokyo, New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Washington DC, Houston, Montreal, Toronto, Dublin, Gothenburg, etc.
|Date and Time:||Tuesday, June 5th and Thursday, June 7th; 10:00 AM - 12:00 noon|
|Location:||Chinese Consulate in New York City, 42nd St. and West Side Hwy|
|Local contacts:||Gail Rachlin 212-501-8080, or Feng Yuan 917-912-3301|
FOR MORE INFORMATION, or to arrange interviews with these Falun Gong practitioners who have first-hand accounts of the labor camps in China, please contact the Falun Dafa InfoCenter. Gail Rachlin 212-501-8080, Adam Montanaro 917-405-4507, or Feng Yuan 917-912-3301. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Website: http://www.faluninfo.net/
Category: April 25 Events