Falun Dafa Minghui.org www.minghui.org PRINT

A Letter to a Former Employer by a Relative of Li Mei, A Falun Dafa Practitioner Tortured to Death

April 03, 2001 |   Wu Xing

Director XX,

Greetings. My name is Wu Xing (Male). I am writing to you regarding my resignation. I hope you can spare some time to allow me to explain this to you directly. This way, the reasons for my departure will be clearer, and you will be able to let me go with a better understanding of why.

The general proceedings of the whole event are as follows: My sister-in-law was illegally detained in May 2000 at the Provincial Women's Labor Re-education Camp for practicing Falun Gong. According to the rules of the Camp, every 13th and 26th of the month are the visitation days scheduled for Falun Gong detainees. Being her family, we went for the visit numerous times but were never allowed to see her. On the morning of the 3rd day into the Lunar New Year (1/26), I accompanied other family members to pay another visit. We thought that since it was a visitation day, plus it was a traditional holiday, we would be able to see her. Much to our surprise, the visitation was denied in the name of "tightened supervision." My wife reasoned with them, "Even criminals are allowed visitation rights. Why are you not allowing us to see her? Do you still care about human rights?!" Director Wang responded viciously, "Don't mention human rights in here. We don't have laws or human rights. We don't know what's good or evil, and can't tell right from wrong. No visitation, period!" Because of this, we had some verbal disputes. After we went home, at around 5 pm on the same day 8 or 9 policemen from the local Security Bureau suddenly broke into our house. They brought "directives" and wanted to use force to take us away for "further action" because they said we "disrupted the carrying out of police duties." After we spelled out the entire situation, we rejected the validity of "obstruction of public duties" as cause for detaining us. In addition, we pointed out that they violated the Constitution: No government staff may attack or retaliate against citizens [for making complaints]. They finally ended this at midnight on that day.

On the 7th day of the Lunar New Year, I was told by my family that something happened to my sister-in-law the day before. On the afternoon of the 9th, we received notification from the company that she had died at 6:05 in the morning. On the 8th, while reporting to my manager and obtaining approval to take some time off, I helped my family with various matters--consultation with lawyers, comforting and receiving relatives, etc. During those 2 or 3 days, none of her family members, myself included, did anything that was unlawful. I didn't even say anything that was inappropriate, nor did I mention or involve any offices or departments. (The managers from the companies where all the relatives worked were ordered to be present.) Even so, I still received attacks, and was denied the right to work. In other words, basically, I did not cause any unsound impact on the company. I didn't involve any aspect of the company, nor did I ask the company for any assistance at that time. As I am not willing to leave the job I love and the job I depend on to support my entire family, even though I am submitting this so-called resignation letter, in real sense, I am being fired.

My sister-in-law was a very quiet and simple girl. She used to be very weak and was frequently sick. After she began practicing cultivation, she became positive and outgoing. Her health improved significantly. She was very honest and kind. She gave up her permanent position as an accountant to a colleague with a disability, and volunteered to be laid off. She was just that kind of person. Because she felt that Falun Gong was good, unlike what was portrayed on TV, she went to appeal to the Beijing Appeals Office, and was arrested there. She was sentenced to a year and a half in labor camp. They denied her visitation rights. She was sent to a mental hospital for "treatment," and underwent all kinds of physical and mental torture. (The goal was to make her give up her belief and say things against her will.) In the end, her body was covered with wounds (upper, middle and lower body; front and back of the body). During the period of "tightened supervision," (tightened supervision means being watched by 2 criminals 24 hours a day) she was tortured to death. While other families were celebrating the holidays, she died miserably in a labor re-education camp. In the end, she was slandered as a person who "due to her obsession with Falun Gong and pursuit of Consummation, jumped off a building and committed suicide"!

After the tragedy, let's look at how the Jiang Zemin administration reacted. The people from the Provincial Political and Legal Committee, Provincial Legal Department, Bureau, District Office, the Provincial Public Security office, to the District Political and Legal Committee, and the Neighbor Committee summoned all the managers from all the companies my family members were working for, and applied pressure to the family through them. They didn't directly deal with the family, but through the companies they gave instruction for what to do. During the process, every basic right and normal procedure that, through our lawyers, we discovered we were entitled to, had to be fought for through difficult negotiation and reasoning. Even with this, in the end they still managed to use suppression, deception and imprudence to impede the process. Many of their acts were so disheartening that some of the company managers that were present quietly shook their heads. On the surface, they were notifying us to go to the hospital, yet behind our backs they were taking the body to the funeral home. Without allowing for the agreed-upon physical examination of the body, we were ordered to dress the body, say good-bye and send it in for cremation all within 10 minutes. At that time, my sister-in-law had been pronounced dead for 12 hours. In that cold weather, wearing light clothes, her body felt very warm. My father-in-law was extremely angry. He denounced them for untimely rescue, inhumanity, and no regard for human life. He even went so far as to tell them there was a need to "appeal to the society and expose it through the media." He also said things like, "Chinese are numb and inhumane." These people became speechless and didn't have anything to say in response. At the funeral home, with officials from all levels being present, the secretary for the East City District Political and Legal Committee apologized to the family in person. But on the following day, I was asked to leave the company and it has been confirmed that the telephones of the entire family are tapped. (I don't know if this has impacted you.) When we leave the house, there are people documenting what we do. They also spread around the idea that they will send my wife to labor camp, etc.

These are the acts toward the citizens of a noble nation proclaimed by its administration to be in "the best period of human rights."