The Facts of the Persecution of Falun Gong -- March 12, 2008

Issued by Clearwisdom Net


  • Mr. Wang Guiming Died on February 29 in Chaoyanggou Forced Labor Camp, Jilin Province
  • Mr. Wang was arrested on  February 13, 2008 and taken to the Chaoyanggou Forced Labor Camp where he was detained in Xinsheng (Brainwashing) Ward. After going on a hunger strike and being force-fed, Mr Wang died on February 29, 2008. After a delay, Mr Wang's family was told that he committed suicide by hitting his head against a heater. When the family was allowed to see his body, they saw injuries apart from his head and incompatible with the claimed cause of death. They were denied the right to take home his body or to talk to his guards at the time of his death. The family attempted to file a lawsuit in a local court to investigate the case, but were denied.
  • Relatives Try to Rescue Mr. Qi Wei
  • Mr Qi Wei was arrested in February 2008 and detained without due process. The police refuse to inform his family of his condition or location.

    Mr. Wang Guiming Died on February 29 in Chaoyanggou Forced Labor Camp, Jilin Province

    Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Wang Guiming, 40, lived in Tonghua City, Jilin Province. He was arrested in 2002 by the Domestic Security Team of Dongchang District Police Branch and sentenced to five years in prison. He served in his term in Jilin Province Prison and Siping City Prison. In the Jilin prison, Mr. Wang was once brutally beaten for eight days straight, until he was almost unrecognizable and in critical condition. On February 23, 2004, he was transferred to Siping City Prison and detained in the Eleventh Ward. Mr. Wang locked in a small cell (1) and electric baton shocked by four batons, severely injuring his face . Mr. Wang went on a hunger strike to protest, and the guards force-fed him nearly for a month in the prison hospital.

    On the afternoon of February 13, 2008, Mr. Wang was selling baked sweet potatoes at the Hongyuan Market. He was clarifying the truth out of compassion. Nonetheless, he was reported. At 2 p.m., policeman Zhang Xiaoxu from the Xinzhan Station used a 110 police vehicle to arrest Mr. Wang and take him into custody. Officers interrogated Mr. Wang in the station for seven hours, stripped off his shoes, and took off his belt. Several officers ransacked his home at 4 p.m. At around 9:20 p.m., the police took him to the Dongchang District Police Department, completed his paper work, then detained him in the Changliu Detention Center. On February 17, 2008, he was taken to Chaoyanggou Forced Labor Camp and detained in the Xinsheng (Brainwashing) Ward. According to sources, Mr. Wang went on a hunger strike to protest, and as a result he was force-fed and electric baton shocked. He died on February 29, 2008.

    As soon as Mr. Wang died, Chaoyanggou Labor Camp officials sealed off most outgoing information and emptied the Xinsheng Ward. Some family visitors started to talk about it from the other side of the windows. Many sensed that something had happened. The camp administration did not notify his family directly. Instead, they told local police to pass on a message to bring Mr. Wang some clothes. His family did not go that same day. The next day, Mr. Wang's older sister received a phone call, telling her that Mr. Wang had died and asking his family to come to the camp.

    Mr. Wang's family reached the camp on March 2, 2008. The camp officials explained that Mr. Wang had committed suicide by ramming his head against the heater and that he had died on the way to the hospital. His family talked about this with Deputy Warden Li (male, given name unknown), and he said that Mr. Wang came to the ward as healthy man, and there was no reason for him to commit suicide. He admitted that Mr. Wang was on a hunger strike the entire time and had been force-fed three times. He emphasized that Mr. Wang did not resist the force-feeding and absolutely did not die due to force-feeding.

    On March 3, 2008, the camp administrators allowed Mr. Wang's family to see his body but emphasized that they would not be allowed to take photos and assigned a guard to accompany the family. His family found a dry cut on his head, but no blood. They also found purple bruises on his body. They raised questions as to why his wounds did not look like they were made by ramming into a heater. His family wanted to take his body home and were even willing to pay the cost of 1800 yuan to the hospital. The camp administrators refused and did not allow the family to visit with the guards who had witnessed his death.

    His family felt they had no choice but to try to file a lawsuit with Chengjiao District Court in Changchun City. They tried to do this for two days but in vain. Mr. Wang's wife and teenage daughter are both deeply hurt.

    Xinzhan Police Station: 86-435-3616892
    Policeman Zhang Xiaoxu: 86-13944596115 (Cell), 86-435-3909516 (Home)
    Dongchang District Domestic Security Division Leader Jin Guiquan (male): 86-435-3258809 (Office)
    Tonghua City 610 Office: 86-435-3231120, Chair Jiang Haidong (male): 86-13704355110 (Cell)

    (1) Small cell - The detainee is individually locked up in a very small cell. The guards handcuff practitioners behind their backs in a fixed position, in which the practitioners can neither move nor lie down. The small cell is very damp and no sunshine comes in. Detainees have to use a bucket in the cell as a toilet. Only half of a regular meal is served during the daytime. During the night rats run around. The stench in the small cell is so bad that it is difficult to breathe.

    Relatives Try to Rescue Beijing Mr. Qi Wei

    On February 22, 2008, Qi Wei, a Falun Gong Practitioner in Chaoyang District in Beijing, was forcibly taken away by Liu Xun and Liu Zhenqiang, police officers from Anzhen Station. It has been 14 days and there has been no word from him. His family has not received any legal documents from the police.

    Mr. Qi's family and friends have searched everywhere for him, but authorities at the police station, detention center and Chaoyang District Police Branch told them they didn't know where he is. It is not known whether he is still alive or not. His family and friends are very anxious.

    At about 9:20 p.m. on February 22, 2008, when Mr. Qi and his newly-wedded wife were out for a walk, four plainclothes officers approached suddenly and, without presenting any ID, started kicking and beating Mr. Qi. They forcibly took the couple to Anzhen Police Station. At 3 a.m. on February 23, Mr. Qi's wife was released after vigorous protest from her family. At 6:30 a.m., Mr. Qi's wife and his mother went to Anzhen Police Station to see him, but they were turned away by the police. At 8 a.m., they saw that Mr. Qi was handcuffed, forced into a police van, and taken away.

    On February 22, between 9:40 p.m. and midnight, a team leader from the Domesticl Security Unit of Chaoyang District and other police officers raided Mr. Qi's house. Not finding any relevant evidence after ransacking the home, they took Mr. Qi's notebook computer and an empty hard drive.

    Since February 23, Mr. Qi's family has gone several times to the police station to ask his whereabouts. The police have arrogantly told them that they were only responsible for his arrest and cared about nothing else. They haven't told them where Mr. Qi is.

    On February 25, between 7 p.m. and midnight, Qi Yulin and Xu Yong, the captains of the Chaoyang District Public Security Bureau, and more than ten police officers broke into Mr. Qi's house again and searched for five hours. Without finding any evidence, they pretended to have found two disks, the Nine Commentaries on the Communist Party and The Chinese New Year Global Gala in a pile of clothes in the room and threatened Mr. Qi's mother. In fact, Mr. Qi's family had never seen these two discs in their house before. Furthermore, the police had already come and thoroughly searched the house on the night of February 22. The Qi family suspected that the police had planted the disks on orders from their superiors. When the family asked Mr. Qi's whereabouts, the police said they didn't know and that their task was just to search their house.

    On February 28, the Qi family hired a lawyer who tried to find Mr. Qi in the detention center. The lawyer was told that there was no such person.

    At about midnight on February 29, Mr. Qi called his brother-in-law from his cell phone, which showed the caller ID 64419129. He just said one thing, "Is my mother there?" before he was forcibly cut off. Later, the family learned from the caller ID number that the call originated from the police station. This means that since midnight on February 29, the eighth day since he was missing, Mr. Qi was still being detained in the police station.

    Mr. Qi's family and their lawyer have tried their best to find him in the past 10-plus days, but to no avail. They have strongly appealed to heads of related departments to punish the criminal acts of the public security personnel and have urged them to release Mr. Qi.