News and Events from around the World -- May 30, 2007

Issued by Clearwisdom Net


  • Mr. Chao Zhiming Disabled and His Wife Persecuted to Death

  • The CCP Is Hiding Its Second Verdict Against Cao Dong from the Public

  • Mr. Wang Jitao from Chengde City, Hebei Province Died within Three Months from Brutal Torture in Detention Centers

  • Crimes Committed by Li Laotie, Former Head of the Chinese Communist Party in Laishui County, Hebei Province

  • Many Falun Gong Practitioners Imprisoned in Harbin Women's Prison with Terms of Four to Thirteen Years

  • Police, Fearing Exposure, Arrest Cui Yumei from Daqing City, Heilongjiang Province

  • Recent Information on Mr. Wang Youjiang, a Former PLA Major Who Was Sentenced to 10 Years

  • Mr. Chao Zhiming Disabled and His Wife Persecuted to Death

    Mr. Chao Zhiming and his wife, Zhu Xiuying, were persecuted cruelly over the past few years for practicing Falun Gong. Now Chao Zhiming is disabled, and his wife has died due to the persecution.

    Mr. Chao Zhiming, 65 years old, was the manager of Feilong Cooperation, part of the state-run Lingwu Farm in Ningxia Province. He had to retire earlier than is customary in 1994 because a stroke prevented him from working any longer. His wife, Zhu Xiuying, was an employee at the alcohol factory of Feilong Cooperation. She also retired early, in her case because she was suffering from severe diseases, including diabetes. Besides the stroke, Mr. Chao also suffered from pancreatitis, gastritis, arthritis, chronic cholecystitis and tracheitis. The illnesses, along with the expensive medical costs made their lives miserable.

    In 1997, Chao Zhiming was given a copy of Zhuan Falun by chance. He loved the book and the teachings immediately, and he and his wife began practicing Falun Gong. From then on, all their diseases went away, which saved them a huge amount in medical costs. Even more miraculous was that Zhu Xiuying, who had been illiterate her whole life, was able to read all of Zhuan Falun. She later made a speech as the only practitioner from Ningxia Province at the cultivation experience sharing conference in Lanzhou City. The two practitioners were steadfast in cultivation.

    However, Jiang Zemin's regime started the persecution of Falun Gong in 1999, and the couple were persecuted relentlessly from then on. In August 1999, Mr. Chao was arrested and taken to the Lingwu City Police Department. Their home was searched twice and Falun Gong books and other items related to the practice were taken by the police around May 2001.

    In March 2000, Mr. Chao went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong. After he returned home he was detained illegally overnight by policeman Ma Yuelin from the Lingwu Farm Police Station. He was then detained for another 15 days by the Lingwu City Police Department. In 2000, police and 610 Office agents harassed him and his wife at home six times.

    In fear of being illegally arrested, Chao Zhiming left home and went to Yulin City, Shaanxi Province, to invest in a company with friends and relatives. The Lingwu City police informed the Yulin City police to continue persecuting him. The police often sent out four or five policemen to harass him and his friends or relatives at home or at work. Everyone was afraid of the police. The Bureau of Quality and Technical Supervision of Yulin City refused to supply the production materials for the company, the banks refused to give them loans and their clients canceled their orders. All this resulted in huge financial losses to the company. Mr. Chao had to stop cooperating with his friends and relatives after losses of 40,000 yuan and went back to Lingwu City at the end of 2000.

    In March 2001, due to great pressure caused by the constant persecution and harassment, Ms. Zhu's old diseases recurred, and diabetes damaged her legs. The police still harassed Mr. Chao when he was accompanying his wife to the hospital, and they even wanted to arrest him while his wife was having surgery to cut off part of her legs.

    In May 2001, Chao Zhiming was arrested and sent to a detention center by Li Ming, deputy chief of Lingwu City Police Department; Yang YuChaog, the Party secretary of the Political Security Section of Lingwu City Police Department, and Zhang Zhanlin, the former head of the Political Security Section of Lingwu City Police Department. At that time, Mr. Chao's former diseases recurred and his stroke symptoms returned.

    Right before the Moon Festival in the fall in 2001, even though Chao Zhiming had not yet recovered his health, police officers Li Ming, Ma Yuelin from Lingwu Farm Police Station, and Cao Juxiang from the security section, without showing any police ID, broke into Mr. Chao's home, arrested him, and sent him to a forced labor camp. At that time Zhu Xiuying's health was declining and she was unable to carry out her daily activities. The police also arrested Chao Zhiming's youngest daughter and her 20-month-old child and took them to the police station. Scared by the police and left alone, the child kept crying and asking for his mother.

    In the labor camp, Chao Zhiming kept saying aloud, "Falun Dafa is good." Guard Wu handcuffed him to a bunk bed, which prevented him from standing, sitting, or laying down. Before long, the right side of his body became paralyzed, and he partially lost his ability to speak. Afraid of being held responsible for his poor health, the labor camp sent Mr. Chao home after more than 20 days of illegal detention.

    At that time, Chao Zhiming was paralyzed and suffering from incontinence. His blood pressure was 240-250 mmHg, and he was very skinny. However, the police still went to his home to harass him and search it four more times. Moreover, the police also spread lies that Falun Gong's teachings do not allow its practitioners to go to the hospital, that it was the police who sent the couple to the hospital, etc.

    In the beginning of June 2003, Li Cun, director of the State Security Group of the Yinchuan City Police Department; Jin Chunhua, deputy director of the 610 Office; Zhang Anzhong, deputy director of the State Security Group; Wu Hao; and others followed practitioner Zhang Sixi (who has since been persecuted to death) and his wife to Mr. Chao's home. The gang of officers broke into the home by climbing over the walls. Policeman Wu Hao ran into the kitchen and dragged Ms. Zhu Xiuying, who was cooking, to the floor and dragged her for several meters, breaking her arm in the process. Mr. Chao's stroke symptoms recurred immediately. The police searched the whole house and took away two cellphones, two desk-top computers, one laptop computer, three printers, one VCR, the cash that Chao's son had in a safe, and other items. Everything together was worth about 60,000 yuan.

    Ms. Zhu was sent to the emergency room at Lingwu City. However, because of her diabetes, her arm would not heal. The hospital fees and treatment costs were over 10,000 yuan. The elderly couple went to the Lingwu City Police Department and Yinchuan City Police Department to ask for compensation, but the responsible people either tried to avoid them or berated them. Yang, the deputy director of the Lingwu City Police Department, swore at the couple and said, "Do you still dare to continue your practice?"

    In September 2003, Li Cun and nine other policemen from Yinchuan City Police Department broke into Chao Zhiming's home by climbing over the walls again while the couple were both sick at home. They broke several locks and doors and took away a computer.

    In the summer of 2004, Yang Yufeng, head of the Political Security Group of Lingwu City Police Department, and Cao Juxiang, associate head of the Security Department of Lingwu Farm, secretly waited for Chao Zhiming outside his home. They arrested him when he returned home and took away an external hard drive in which there was material about suing the police who had persecuted Chao Zhiming.

    The constant persecution harmed the couple both mentally and physically. With her severe diabetes and a broken arm, Zhu Xiuying fell and broke her leg, which resulted in her complete paralysis. She was sent to the hospital again but they could not help her. She died on January 25, 2006.

    In June 2006, Yang YuChaog, Party secretary of the Political Security Group; Yang Yufeng, head of the Political Security Group; and two policemen from Chengzhen Police Station of Lingwu City broke into Chao Zhiming's home. They pushed him onto the couch and berated him. Mr. Chao tried to stop them when they started to take away his son's computer; they finally stole two external hard drives instead.

    The Chaos' personal belongings taken away by the police and the medical costs for their physical ailments caused by the persecution added up to about 120,000 yuan for the past several years. At present, Chao Zhiming is paralyzed and can hardly take care of himself, and has lost some of his ability to speak.

    There are many similar persecution cases like the Chaos' at the hands of 610 Offices, police systems, and legal systems at both provincial and city levels.

    The CCP Is Hiding Its Second Verdict Against Cao Dong from the Public

    In May 2006, Falun Gong practitioner Cao Dong met with the European Parliament's Vice President, Mr. Edward McMillan-Scott. As a result, he was arrested and sent to Gansu Province. On February 8, 2007, he was illegally sentenced to five years of imprisonment. After the sentence, Mr. Cao's defense lawyer made a statement that "the trial decision does not conform to the facts" according to new evidence he collected. In order to cover up their crime of depriving Chinese citizens of their basic human rights, the judicial system operated by the CCP ignored the voice of justice and malevolently insisted on convening a second trial in private. Even judges of the Gansu Intermediate Court in charge of the two trials do not know the result, because it is "decided by the upper level authorities." The court and judges are just administrative puppets.

    It was said that the results of the second trial will be announced to Mr. Cao Dong next week. His family still does not know it. Even Mr. Cao's lawyer has not received the sentence statement. Mr. Cao was charged with "colluding with overseas anti-CCP forces" and "accepting an illegal interview."

    One of the reasons the CCP is keeping its second verdict of Mr. Cao Dong from the public is that the EU-China Bilateral Human Rights Dialogue was held on May 15 and 16, 2007 in Berlin, Germany. More and more EU officials are denouncing the CCP for the persecution of Falun Gong practitioners, especially the crime of harvesting organs from living practitioners. Since the closed-door EU-China human rights dialog did not improve human rights in China over the past 11 years, Edward McMillan-Scott, the European Parliament's Vice President, proposed that the EU publicly censure the CCP instead of holding meaningless human rights dialogs.

    At the press conference held in Brussels on May 10, 2007, Mr. McMillan-Scott stated that the CCP's human rights situation is regressing. He said, for example, that two Falun Gong practitioners, Niu Jinping and Cao Dong, were arrested right after they met with him when he was on a fact-finding mission in Beijing last year. He also said, "The report of the two independent Canadian investigators concerning the live organ harvesting is absolutely reliable."

    Mr. Cao Dong met with Mr. McMillan-Scott on May 21, 2006. In order to rescue his wife who was detained and persecuted, Mr. Cao told the vice president about the brutal persecution of his wife and other practitioners he knew. Two hours after the meeting, Mr. Cao was arrested by the CCP's national security agents. Personnel from the Chinese Ministry of National Security and from the 610 Office thought "it was too sensitive an issue to persecute Mr. Cao in Beijing" so they transferred him to Gansu Province National Security Bureau and the Judiciary Department in September.

    The CCP kept this case a deep secret because they worried "the case would have too much influence." They wanted to evade the investigation by the forces of justice in China and overseas, and feared their shameless lies would be revealed. The true reason they sentenced Mr. Cao was not any so-called "new activities" Mr. Cao was involved with in Gansu Province, but that Mr. Cao exposed the truth to the outside world that the CCP persecutes Falun Gong. Lu Yanhong, the judge in charge of the second trial against Mr. Cao Dong (the second section of the Gansu Intermediate People's Court) said: "It is too light to sentence Mr. Cao to five years' imprisonment. He should be sentenced to seven or eight years just because he accepted a foreigner's interview." This statement reveals the real reason why the CCP sentenced Mr. Cao and exposes the CCP-controlled judiciary system's method of ravaging the Constitution and violating the law while supposedly executing the law.

    Herein we strongly call on all governments and organizations to denounce the CCP's tyranny and support all Falun Gong practitioners, including Cao Dong, who are illegally detained by the CCP. When all kindhearted people make an effort together to disintegrate the CCP and stop the persecution, the world will have a good future.

    Mr. Wang Jitao from Chengde City, Hebei Province Died within Three Months from Brutal Torture in Detention Centers

    Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Wang Jitao, 54 years old, was living in Chengde City, Hebei Province. Because he practiced Falun Gong, officers from the Chengde City 610 Office, the National Security Group, the CCP Political and Legal Committee, and the local police station cruelly tortured him. He died on April 30, 2007.

    Mr. Wang became healthy and was free of illness after he started practicing Falun Gong. Officers from the city 610 Office, National Security, and the local police department arrested him on September 1, 2003. They took him to the Chengde City Detention Center and locked him in a cell on death row. In order to force him to give up his belief in Falun Gong, the guards used all kinds of brutal methods to torture him. They didn't give him food, didn't allow him to sleep, used electric batons to shock his head, and beat him. They beat him so brutally that his head became badly swollen. The beating resulted in extravagated fluid inside his skull, and he eventually got a brain tumor.

    Later, Mr. Wang was transferred to the Luanping County Detention Center. The guards ordered the inmates to strip off Mr. Wang's clothes and pour cold water over him from head to toe in the freezing winter. After they poured 33 buckets over him, he lost consciousness. They beat and cursed him every day to try to force him to give up practicing Falun Gong.

    Mr. Wang Jitao was then transferred to the Dalaohugou Detention Center in Chengde City. He was held in three detention centers within three months. He was beaten badly whenever he was moved to a new detention center. The 610 Office in Chengde City did this on purpose because they were attempting to kill him.

    After he arrived in the Chengde City Detention Center, the guards were even more cruel. They beat Wang Jitao so badly that he vomited blood. His head became swollen, four of his teeth feel out, and his ribs were broken. The photo taken before he died showed his ribs with obvious fractures (The above injuries to his head, teeth, and ribs were all photographed as evidence).

    In Chengde City Detention Center, he was only given some leftover vegetable soup at every meal. He didn't receive the clothes and shoes his family members sent him and had to go barefoot in the winter.

    See related report: /emh/articles/2007/5/5/85280.html

    Crimes Committed by Li Laotie, Former Head of the Chinese Communist Party in Laishui County, Hebei Province

    Li Laotie, born in Li County, Hebei Province, was the head of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) in Laishui County in 2000. Soon after taking the position, Li closely followed the CCP and Jiang Zemin's regime to persecute Falun Gong practitioners. During Li's tenure, five practitioners in Laishui County were persecuted to death. They were Ms. Zhang Xiuxian, Ms. Jiao Fenglan, Mr. Yan Jianqi, Mr. Wu Yanshui, and Mr. Zhang Zhiyong. Seven practitioners were issued severe sentences of fifteen, thirteen, eleven, ten, nine, or five years of imprisonment and they are still in prison. More than ten practitioners were illegally detained in forced labor camps. Almost forty practitioners were imprisoned in Laishui County Prison for as long as one year, and Laishui County Detention Center for up to two years. Numerous practitioners lost their jobs, their salaries were discontinued, they were fined, their homes were searched and their property was confiscated, they were brutally beaten, their families were broken up, and they had to leave their homes.

    On April 7, 2004, Sun Guijie, deputy head of the CCP in Laishui County, Zhang Haili, Li Zenglin from the Public Security Bureau, Liu Yaohua, Cui Jikun, head of the court, and other corrupt people from the Procuratorate in various villages and towns launched an inhuman persecution against practitioners, under instigation from Li Laotie. During this period of persecution, the number of ropes used to persecute practitioners reached one thousand per day. In brainwashing sessions in Laishui County, practitioners' bodies showed signs of severe beating. Some of them had sustained swelling to their heads, black and blue eyes, or marks on their faces caused by being beaten with shoes. Some practitioners had become crippled. Practitioners were beaten with sticks, the handles of pickaxes or shovels, whips, and clubs.

    Sun Guijie hit practitioners with the soles of shoes. Many practitioners are still not able to hear clearly as a result. Cui Jikun ordered his subordinates to use ropes to pull practitioners' arms back until they reach the back of their heads, which could cause practitioners' arms to be crippled in the process. One practitioner passed out from being beaten, while constantly twitching. Li Zenglin watched officers beat practitioners with a smile, and appeared happy. Liu Yaohua forced practitioners to kneel down for half a day. Laishui County extorted two thousand yuan in cash per practitioner, while various villages and towns extorted practitioners again for one thousand yuan or several hundred yuan.

    On August 10, 2000, officers sent more than eighty practitioners to brainwashing sessions in Laishui County and persecuted them. Police officers were fully armed and thugs were hired at thirty yuan per day to persecute the practitioners. They forced them to kneel down and slapped their face a thousand times. Practitioners were beaten so badly that their clothes became worn and they had to support each other while walking. Every single practitioner was extorted of three thousand yuan. One family had four people detained and this family had to give twelve thousand yuan. If the families were not able to hand over the money, then the authorities would sell all their food supplies and any possessions of value, which prevented them from having any rice to cook during the spring festival. Being unable to pay the sum, an old woman was thrown into a forced labor camp. Her husband was beaten and died on the road while traveling home. Their son was chased by Li Laotie, who mobilized many people to encircle the village where he lived and blocked vital communications lines, ordering that he be arrested upon sight; there would be no consequences for beating him to death.

    On December 27, 2000, Li Laotie and Wang Huixin ordered that twenty-eight practitioners be paraded through the streets with boards hanging on their necks. Authorities held a so-called "convention for public judgment," and illegally tried practitioners and sentenced them. Two practitioners were sentenced to five years of imprisonment and six practitioners were detained in a forced labor camp, one of whom was given five years for writing a letter to Li Laotie. In 2000, when Li Laotie had just taken the position, this practitioner wrote a letter to Li in a sincere and kind way, hoping that he would learn the truth about Falun Gong and stop the cruel persecution of practitioners. After receiving the letter, Li did not accept the truthful report from this person, and instead, he commanded his subordinate to persecute this practitioner. They kicked and trampled on her, especially her chest. Her face turned black and blue, and was swollen as a result of being beaten. Her waist was also injured and she could only walk bent over. When going to the restroom, she had to bend at the waist and rely on others' support. Her body was covered with scars from the beatings. A person in this condition was still sent to Laishui County Detention Center, which did not intend to accept her because of her poor health. They nevertheless imprisoned her due to pressure from Li Laotie and Sun Guijie. She was sentenced to five years of imprisonment on December 27, 2000.

    In March 2001, more than one fourth of the practitioners were transferred from the prison and detention center to the brainwashing center at Laishui County for "transformation." At the brainwashing center in Laishui County, there were two young practitioners who were seventeen or eighteen years old. One had two ribs broken as the result of being beaten, and the other's body was covered with scars resulting from beatings. One practitioner's skin became torn all over the body from being tied tightly with a rope.

    During the period that Li Laotie was the head of the CCP in Laishui County, he disregarded the cost. He took advantage of the masses' money, earned through hard work, to hire another corrupt person from the Nanma Brainwashing Center in Zhuozhou City, Hebei Province, at the cost of 16,000 yuan a month, to persecute practitioners in Laishui County. The person who executed the persecution this time was Wang Fucai from the Laishui County 610 Office.

    Li Laotie is currently the head of the middle court in Shijiazhuang City, Hebei Province. He is still persecuting practitioners and playing the role of interference and persecution regarding the release of practitioner Ms. Wang Bo and her family members, from Shijiazhuang City, Hebei Province, even though there are no charges laid.

    Police, Fearing Exposure, Arrest Cui Yumei from Daqing City, Heilongjiang Province

    On May 10, 2007, the police from Wolitun Police Station and Daqing City Police Department arrested Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Cui Yumei. She is presently detained in the Daqing Detention Center. The reason for the arrest is the fact that arrests of Falun Gong practitioners from Wolitun were exposed on the Minghui/Clearwisdom website.

    According to an eyewitness, at 8 o'clock on May 10, 2007, Cui Yumei was pushed down to the ground near Longfeng Shopping Center by two plainclothes policemen. The police dragged her, pushed her into a minivan and left. It was confirmed that police from Wolitun Police Station and Daqing City Police Department arrested Cui Yumei.

    Li Wenhui, the leader of the criminal police unit from Wolitun Police Station, and two policemen from Daqing City Police Department have interrogated Ms. Cui since she was arrested. Cui Yumei did not say a word. At ten o'clock in the evening, she was sent to Daqing City Detention Center. She was detained for over 12 hours. According to lawyers, this kind of arrest is illegal. When family members went to Wolitun Police Station to ask for her release, Zhang Yuqing, the Political Commissioner of the Wolitun Police Station, threatened, "I will order the police to arrest you if you do not leave."

    Cui Yumei began practicing Falun Gong in 1997. She became a good person according to the standard of Truth-Compassion-Forbearance, and always considers others first. Such a good person has suffered a lot due to the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) persecution of Falun Gong. She has experienced torture, detention and time in a labor camp.

    In April 2000, Cui Yumei went to appeal for justice for Falun Gong. She was detained at Longfeng Detention Center for one month. On June 18, 2000 she joined a group practice in front of the Daqing Petroleum Administration Bureau. As a result, she was detained for over a month at the Taikang Detention Center. In November 25, 2000, Ms. Cui was detained at Daqing City Detention Center for a month and a half for appealing for Falun Gong in Beijing, and was later sent to the Harbin City Drug Rehabilitation Center for one year in a labor camp.

    Cui Yumei has been tortured many times during detention. At the Daqing Detention Center she was hung up with the tips of her feet just touching the floor. All her weight was on her wrists. This torture is very painful, with the handcuffs cutting into the flesh. At Longfeng Detention Center, Cui Yumei was forced to jog with over 50 pounds of shackles on her ankles. Her ankles were rubbed raw and bloody. The police also forced her to squat for a long time with her head touching her feet. These tortures have caused Ms. Cui physical and mental suffering.

    Cui Yumei's family members also practice Falun Gong. They have all suffered severe persecution. Her mother Wang Shuqin has been arrested many times and was persecuted to death on September 21, 2002. Her father Cui Hongyi has been detained many times, from September 1999 to April 2004. He was sentenced to one year in a labor camp, and three years in prison. Her sister Cui Yubo was sent to a labor camp twice from September 1999 to April 2003. Her sister-in-law was detained for 15 days at Longfeng Detention Center in 2000 for appealing for Falun Gong. Her husband divorced her as a result of extended persecution.

    Recent Information on Mr. Wang Youjiang, a Former PLA Major Who Was Sentenced to 10 Years

    Mr. Wang Youjiang, a Falun Gong practitioner from Lanzhou City, Gansu Province, was illegally sentenced to 10 years imprisonment in 2001. He is now detained at Dashaping Prison in Lanzhou City, Gansu Province. Due to long-term abuse, his hair has turned gray at a young age.

    Mr. Wang, 38, is a former Major from the Communication Unit of Lanzhou Military Region. He started to practice Falun Gong in 1998. After the persecution began on July 20, 1999, Mr. Wang was arrested and detained many times for going to Beijing to appeal for justice for Falun Gong. He tried to go to Beijing again in December 2000 but was arrested on his way and taken to the Zhongwei Train Station in Ningxia Province. After one day of detention, he was transferred to the Taoshuping Detention Center in Lanzhou City, Gansu Province where he was detained for one week.

    On March 6, 2001, Mr. Wang was reported and arrested. A truth-clarification materials production site was destroyed, and his direct loss totaled over 100,000 yuan. He was detained in Xiguoshuyuan Detention Center. The guards hit and kicked him and forced him to do extended periods of hard labor and deprived him of sleep. Because of the torture, Mr. Wang lost his ability to stand. He was transferred to Si'ergou Detention Center.

    In July 2001, Mr. Wang was secretly sentenced to 10 years without trial. Because he went on a protest hunger strike for a long period and was subjected to various torture methods, he became very weak and was taken to the Dashaping Prison Hospital. He was sent back to prison after he had shown a slight improvement in his health.

    In 2006, Mr. Wang's family members' request for his medical parole was approved by Lanzhou City after much effort. However, Yongdeng County Police Department rejected the request, claiming that when he is released for medical treatment, he cannot go home. The authorities from the police department said, "However he left the prison, we will take him back to the prison in the same way."