The Facts of the Persecution of Falun Gong  -- July 10, 2005

Issued by Clearwisdom Net

  • More Information about the Persecution of Falun Gong Practitioner Wen Fenhua from Guangdong Province

  • A Tribute to the Memory of Falun Gong Practitioner Ms. Jia Cuiying from Jishou City, Hunan Province

  • Cao Yanzhuo and Other Practitioners On Hunger Strike to Protest Persecution at Masanjia Labor Camp

  • Chengdu City Falun Gong Practitioner Tao Naihua Tortured to Mental Disability at a Brainwashing Center

  • Nine Falun Gong Practitioners from Guizhou, Inner Mongolia, Liaoning and Jilin Provinces Die as a Result of Being Persecuted

  • Brief News from China - May 7, 2005

  • Brief News from China - June 22, 2005

  • More Information about the Persecution of Falun Gong Practitioner Wen Fenhua from Guangdong Province

    Ms. Wen Fenhua is a Falun Gong practitioner from Mianhu Town, Jiexi County, Guangdong Province. She was arrested at home on May 30, 2005 by the Jiexi Police Department, the 610 Office, and the Mianhu Police Station. Ms. Wen was tortured so badly that she was disabled when she was sent back home on June 17. She was unable to move, and there were many pinholes and dark blue scars on her hands and wrists, along with many wounds on her legs, some of them bleeding. Wen Fenhua had to rely on others to take care of her, and was unable to even turn herself over. Her eyes were closed, and she responded only when somebody called her name.

    On June 20, Wen Fenhua's husband Yang Yingpeng went to the Jiexi government and Mianhu government to ask them why his wife had been tortured so brutally. The secretary of the Police Department 610 Office, Chen Jihua, claimed that it was because Wen Fenhua went on a hunger strike. He said that Falun Gong is banned by the central government, and they would send her to a brainwashing class if she continued to practice. They said that Ms. Wen's carrying out a hunger strike was an action against the government, and she had to suffer because of this. The vice-secretary of the police department, Wang Shaomin, claimed that Wen Fenhua had nephritis and diabetes prior to her arrest. The Mianhu 610 Office Political Committee Secretary, Lin Chunsong, also said the same thing. They continued to spew out lies about her situation.

    After being arrested by the Chinese Communist Party officials, Wen Fenhua, who was completely healthy, was tortured to the brink of death. The officials then sent her back home and attempted to avoid any responsibility.

    Below are details of the persecution that Wen Fenhua'a family has suffered over the past five years:During the New Year of 2000, Wen Fenhua went to Beijing to appeal for justice for Falun Gong. Before she even got a chance to speak, she was illegally arrested by the police and detained in the Jieyang government office in Beijing. She was sent back to Mianhu Police Station after being detained for three days in Beijing. Six policemen from the Mianhu police station searched her house and seized dozens of Falun Gong books. Ms. Wen was then illegally detained in a detention center for two weeks. The police extorted several hundred yuan from her, and her husband Yang Yingpeng was called to the police station, where the several hundred yuan he carried with him was also confiscated.

    On February 10, 2000, Wen Fenhua and her husband visited a practitioner in Puning, Zhanlong, and were illegally detained for two days by the Zhanlong Police Station. The police then sent the couple back to Jiexi, where they were detained for two weeks. They had one thousand yuan extorted from them.

    On June 25 and 26 of 2000, Wen Fenhua and her husband brought their three children to practice the Falun Gong exercises in the park. Because of this, Wen Fenhua was illegally sentenced to a labor camp for two years, and Yang Yingpeng was detained for two weeks.

    In July of 2002, Wen Fenhua was released, but she still refused to give up Falun Gong. Therefore, the local police regularly went to her house to harass her and her family. Before the 16th Party Congress, Wen Fenhua was illegally detained in Jiexi Asylum for one month.

    On June 24, 2004, the police unreasonably arrested Ms. Wen again, and sent her to Sanshui Brainwashing Center. She had just given birth to a child at that time, and needed to nurse the baby. After her husband and mother-in-law made repeated demands on her behalf [Chinese laws states that it is illegal to detain nursing mothers], she was released the following day.

    On the night of April 20, 2005, the police attempted to arrest Wen Fenhua in order to take her to the Sanshui Brainwashing Center, but she escaped through the window. She then had no choice but to become homeless to avoid arrest. At the end of May, as soon as she went back home, Wen was spotted by a spy who had been monitoring her house. On May 30, Ms. Wen was arrested by the vice-secretary of the Jiexi Political Committee, Chen Jihua, the head of the first branch of the police department, Lin Shaoxin, Mianhu Governing Office, Guo Lewei, and a dozen or so other policemen. Ms. Wen was then once again sent to Sanshui (the so called "Law School") to be put through a forced brainwashing class.

    Wen Fenhua was sent home on the night of June 17. On arriving home she lay down, unable to move. There were many pinholes and dark blue scars on her hands and wrists, and many scars and wounds on her legs, some of them bleeding. Ms. Wen had to rely completely on others to take care of her, as she was unable to even turn herself over. Her eyes were closed, and she responded only when somebody called her name. Judging from her state, it looked as if she had been injected with some kind of toxic drugs.

    Wen Fenhua has four children (the youngest is only one year old) and an over 70-year-old parent, all of whom she is no longer able to look after.

    Relevant contact information:

    The Political Committee of the Mianhu 610 Office: Lin Chunsong 86-663-5256035
    Mianhu 610 Office: Guo Lewei 86-13076558952 (Cell)
    Deputy Chief of Jiexi Police Department (he is also the secretary of the 610 Office Political Committee): Chen Jihua 86-663-5586239
    Head of the first branch of Jiexi Police Department: Li Jimu 86-663-5587688, 86-13060582028 (Cell)
    Li Shaoxin
    Director of Mianhu Police Station: Lin Zhuozhu
    Vice-secretary of Jiexi Polical Committee: Wang Shaomin
    Jiexi Police Department: Xinan 86-663-5584302, 86-663-5581648, 86-663-5583156
    Switchboard: 86-663-5582115, 86-663-5517770

    A Tribute to the Memory of Falun Gong Practitioner Ms. Jia Cuiying from Jishou City, Hunan Province

    This article is not just to honor the memory of Ms. Jia Cuiying. I wrote this article because there still are more than 100 practitioners imprisoned in the Hunan Provincial Women's Prison. They are being brutally persecuted for persisting in their righteous faith and are suffering tremendous trauma. The prison authorities restrict the flow of information to the outside as they continue to ruthlessly persecute these women. Moreover, the prison police, headed by Deputy Chief Zhao Lan, utilize the ""reform results" from such savage torture on their list of achievements for promotion. Li Chunhui, the chief police guard of the "Reform Team" (the brainwashing team), was promoted to Deputy Section Chief of the Education Section and the head of the "Reform Team," giving him more power to do evil. Most of the criminal inmates selected to assist in the persecution of practitioners were given credit that reduced their terms. The highest credit scored is 40, which equals half a year's reduction in term. This scheme has enabled the prisoners to secure earlier release.

    Prison should be a place to punish evil and to promote goodness; it must not become a paradise for doing evil! We are calling on kindhearted people around the world to pay attention to the ruthless persecution against Falun Gong practitioners in the Hunan Provincial Women's Prison, to help international organizations investigate the malicious deeds of people such as Zhao Lan, and to quickly bring them to justice!

    * * * * *

    When I heard the news of Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Jia Cuiying's death from lung cancer on October 20, 2004, as a result of the persecution in the Hunan Provincial Women's Prison, I was upset for a long time. In grief and indignation, I reflected on the knowledge that the healthy and optimistic Ms. Jia would never have died so prematurely if it weren't for the evil persecution against Falun Gong practitioners perpetrated by Jiang Zemin and the Chinese Communist Party (CCP). If the Hunan Provincial Women's Prison authorities hadn't tormented her physically and mentally, she would still be alive.

    When she was illegally sentenced, Ms. Jia Cuiying was 58 years old. Faced with the imposed tribulation, she did not regret her practice of Falun Gong nor her clarifying the truth. Instead, she continued to appeal for Falun Gong openly and nobly, no matter where she was.

    In the second half of 2001, Ms. Jia was sent to the Hunan Provincial Women's Prison in Changsha City by CCP personnel. She was imprisoned in Uniform Team Four, the "Reform Team" (the brainwashing team designated for Falun Gong practitioners), the Changfeng Team Five, and in the Senior and Handicapped Team. Ms. Jia realized that practitioners aren't criminals, so she refused to wear the prison uniform and refused to have her photo taken. To force her to wear the prison uniform, the police guards took away her own clothes.

    In September 2002, Ms. Jia was detained in the Changfeng Team Five, a team mainly responsible for bookbinding. The books were pirated versions. The prison authorities turned a blind eye to this violation of copyright laws in order to create revenue. Because of the intense and long hours of labor, the inmates referred this team as the "Devil Team." Ms. Jia suffered all kinds of inhuman maltreatment in this team.

    As soon as she arrived at the Changfeng Team Five, Jia Cuiying protested her illegal detention. She refused to squat and count off when work started and stopped. The prison police specifically arranged for several strong inmates to watch her. They forced her into a squat every time they started and stopped work. The police guards watching the door would intentionally hold the door closed and delay everyone's passing through so as to provoke the inmates' anger towards her. Faced with that situation, Ms. Jia had to squat down, but she would never "count off."

    The prison authorities organized everyone to watch videos defaming Falun Gong several times. Ms. Jia spoke out each time and resisted resolutely. Fearing that Ms. Jia would again defend Falun Gong, Tang Jun, the chief police guard of the Changfeng Team Five, once arranged for several inmates, prepared with handkerchiefs and tissue to cover her mouth in case she spoke out again, to sit next to Ms. Jia and watch her. Even so, Ms. Jia still managed to cry out from the bottom of her heart, "Long live my Teacher!"

    All the detainees in the Changfeng Team Five spent the winter of 2002 in the new dormitory building. The new building was damp and cold. Except for Ms. Jia, all the inmates slept with one quilt underneath them and two quilts on top to keep themselves warm. Ms. Jia had only one thin quilt. It was said that her quilts "were lost in the Reform Team." Almost 60 years old, Ms. Jia had to sleep in the lower bunkbed in the middle of the room, with the whistling north wind leaking through the window. "Helper" inmate Wang Wei even kept the north window open all the time so that the wind blew toward Ms. Jia's bed. One night, when it was extremely cold, Ms. Jia wanted to close the window, but Wang Wei stopped her with the excuse of air-drying her clothes. Wang taunted her, "You're a practitioner of Falun Gong. You shouldn't fear cold."

    Supported by the police guards, the "helper" inmates were aggressive in persecuting Ms. Jia. Once, when Ms. Jia was reading Teacher's articles in the bathroom, Wang Wei discovered it. She and another "helper" inmate threw themselves on Ms. Jia. One grabbed her by the neck and the other pried her hand open. They snatched the article away and handed it in for a reward.

    In March 2003, Ms. Jia Cuiying was moved to the Senior and Handicapped Team. This team is the repository for all the elderly, weak, sick and disabled inmates, many of whom do not have relatives to visit them, have no source of income, and are referred to as the "Three nothing detainees." The police guards turn a blind eye to these people's situation. Ms. Jia often gave away her personal necessities to those inmates who were having difficulties. In the eyes of the guards, however, her kindness toward others was interpreted as "winning over inmates with petty favors." They took away her cash card (a kind of coupon purchased with cash to buy things in a designated area, such as the prison store, prison cafeteria, etc.) and kept her from buying necessities.

    Even in such harsh circumstances as the Senior and Handicapped Team, Ms. Jia still persisted in "clarifying the truth" and teaching the Falun Gong exercises to those who were interested, but she was kept in close confinement for nine days for doing this.

    Long-term imprisonment severely devastated Ms. Jia Cuiying's mind and body. By May 2004 she had lost a significant amount of weight and could not walk normally. The hospital diagnosed her with lung cancer. The prison authorities feared being held responsible and quickly released her on a "medical parole." Ms. Jia's family members took her home in June 2004.

    Within four months, on October 20, 2004, Ms. Jia Cuiying had passed away, leaving her family members in deep sorrow.

    Cao Yanzhuo and Other Practitioners On Hunger Strike to Protest Persecution at Masanjia Labor Camp

    Ms. Cao Yanzhuo, 43, is from Lanjiagou Village, Gangtun Township, Lianshan Disctrict, Huludao City, Liaoning Province. Since the persecution began on July 20, 1999, the local police have constantly harassed her because she refuses to give up her belief in "Truthfulness, Compassion, Forbearance." Ms. Cao was forced into a homeless situation, but she kept doing truth clarification work for Falun Gong. On July 10, 2002, Cao Yanzhuo was reported to the police when she was clarifying the truth about Falun Gong on Shuini Street in Lianshan District. She was arrested and sent to Masanjia Labor Re-education Camp, where she has been detained ever since.

    According to reliable sources, Cao Yanzhuo has been on a hunger strike for several weeks to protest the persecution. When the guards force-feed her, she protests loudly, shouting, "Falun Dafa is good!" The guards cannot stop her hunger strike, so they tell Ms. Cao that they will prolong her detention term - they will add 10 more days each time she refuses to eat.

    A "Strictly Controlled Division" has been set up at Masanjia Labor Re-education Camp. Steadfast practitioners at Masanjia do not cooperate with the evil; they refuse to wear the prisoners' uniform, they do not attend the prison exercises, and they do not participate in the prison re-education activities. These practitioners are all kept in Division One (the Strictly Controlled Division), and many of them have been on hunger strike to this day. The guards of Division One dare not wear their nametags, fearing that their names and wicked deeds will be exposed to the public.

    There are more than ten other practitioners on hunger strike besides Cao Yanzhuo. The guards force-feed them with soy powder, milk powder, flour, vegetable soup, and so on through a stomach tube once a day. Whenever they try to force-feed the practitioners, the practitioners shout, "Falun Dafa is good!" Among the practitioners, Ms. Sun Jiping shouts the loudest, and the guards are very afraid of her. They beg her to just shout once for the day. People in the whole building can hear Ms. Geng Yulan's voice. She is force-fed twice a day with her hands handcuffed and her head and feet held by the police. The Strictly Controlled Division guards often search prisoners' belongings for Falun Gong books or articles, and they do not allow practitioners to practice the Falun Gong exercises. Practicing the exercises always results in the guards torturing the practitioners. Geng Yulan has been detained in the Strictly Controlled Division for 20 months, and has been forced to watch TV programs that slander Falun Gong all day long. Practitioner Cao Yanzhuo is detained on the second floor, and she has been on hunger strike for a long time. Practitioner Chen Hong has been beaten severely.

    It is the second time that Ms. Ying Liping has been sent to Masanjia. Before she was transferred to Zhangshi Labor Re-education Camp (from Masanjia), she was stripped and thrown into a male inmates' cell. Practitioner Ms. Li Ming confronted Su Jing from Masanjia Labor Re-education Camp about the lie that no female practitioners had been put into male inmate cells. Li Ming herself was mistreated this way before and she is still imprisoned at present.

    Practitioner Dong Jingzhuo has been on a hunger strike for more than 3 months. She was transferred from a detention center to the Masanjia on March 5. Gong Xuerong, a practitioner from Dalian City, is on a hunger strike and has already lost the ability to walk.

    Practitioner Sun Guixiang, Li Hong, and others shout, "Falun Dafa is good" aloud every day at Masanjia. Since April 19, they have been locked in an extremely small cell for more than 2 months because they tried to sit in the lotus position [both legs crossed, on top of the other] and send forth righteous thoughts. The small cell is only as big as a straw mat. A high-volume speaker is on all the time and the practitioners are not allowed to have water to drink.

    Practitioners from Huludao City detained at Masanjia Labor Re-education Camp are as follows: Teng Shirong, Wang Jinfeng, Sun Jiping, Qiu Li, Jiang Guiyun, Li Chunfeng, Cao Yanzhuo, Zhang Xiumin, Zhu Yun, and Wang Hong.

    I was arrested on September 26, 2003. When I was on a hunger strike at Huludao Detention Center, I was beaten severely by the policewomen and force-fed by inmates. I was sent to Masanjia Labor Camp on the sixth day, and I continued my hunger strike there. My hunger strike lasted for 63 days. We were watched all the time in the cells. We only have five minutes for washing ourselves, and we were not allowed to have showers, wash our clothes, or even drink water. I was tortured physically and not allowed to sleep. The criminal inmates beat me. I was diagnosed with uterine tumors and ovarian cysts. They forced me to take an ultrasound scan on the tenth day of my hunger strike. I could not urinate soon after, and my body was dehydrated. Later, the camp staff informed my family to come and take me home. My family came to the camp on October 14, and they were extorted out of 1,800 yuan for "forced-feeding fees." Finally, my family had to give them 200 yuan, and altogether they paid the labor camp 700 yuan.

    The former head of Division One, Wang Xiaofeng, is currently the head of Division Three. He curses whenever he speaks, and beats people whenever he wants, especially when he sees Falun Gong practitioners resisting the torture.

    At present, Dalian Labor Re-education Camp and Longshan Labor Re-education Camp are being closed down; all the remaining prisoners at the two camps have been sent to Masanjia Labor Re-education Camp. There were about 300 prisoners at Masanjia, and now there are about 600 prisoners there.

    Chengdu City Falun Gong Practitioner Tao Naihua Tortured to Mental Disability at a Brainwashing Center

    Ms. Tao Naihua, a Falun Gong practitioner from Chengdu City, Sichuan Province, was abducted and taken to a brainwashing center for more than 20 days. When released on June 22, she appeared mentally disabled. It is apparent that during detention, Ms. Tao was injected with unknown drugs, causing her to become mental disabled in just 20 days.

    Ms. Tao is more than 60 years old. She retired from Hongguang Electronic Tube Factory, and has been very healthy since she started practicing Falun Gong. Ms. Tao was abducted by the authorities on the morning of May 17. According to eyewitnesses, there was a minivan parked by the roadside. When Ms. Tao passed by, someone in the car said, "That's her!" Four or five men immediately came out of the minivan and seized her. Ms. Tao struggled and fell, injuring her wrist. She called out for help, but the men forced her into the minivan. When people nearby asked what was going on, one of the men responded, "She is insane." The minivan then sped off.

    When Ms. Tao's family learned about this, they went to Jianshe Road Street Bureau to ask for her release. The staff on duty denied any knowledge, and even called in the police in an attempt to drive her family members away. It took several days before Ms. Tao's family found her at the Xinjin County Brainwashing Center.

    On June 22, when Ms. Tao was sent home, her behavior was abnormal. She often left the house, and lay down and rolled around in the street. It is not known what tortures she endured during the more than 20 days of detention. Evidently, she was injected with drugs that harm the central nervous system.

    Phone numbers of the responsible parties -

    Chengdu City Police Department: 86-28-86407273

    Jianshe Police Station in Chengdu City: 86-28-84331256, 86-28-84348847

    Jianshe Road Street Bureau Director Wu Quanzhong: 86-28-84319243, 86-28-84319251 (Office), 86-28-84381588 (Home), 86-13808021998 (Cell)

    Jianshe Road Street Bureau Staff member Li Shuqin: 86-28-84319251 (Office), 86-28-83248446 (Home), 86-13658024524 (Cell)

    Chengdu City Hongguang Electronic Tube Factory Home Committee Yang Xiuying: 86-28-84307961

    Chengdu City Hongguang Electronic Tube Factory 610 Office Director Zhou Chuangui: 86-28-84306683, 86-13980678336 (Cell)

    Chengdu City Hongguang Electronic Tube Factory 610 Office staff member Ge Shanda: 86-28-84348847

    Chengdu City Hongguang Electronic Tube Factory 610 Office staff member Li Xiangguo: 86-28-84306904

    Chengdu City Hongguang Electronic Tube Factory 610 Office staff member Yang Dingxiang: 86-28-84306568

    Chengdu City Hongguang Electronic Tube Factory 610 Office staff member Peng Yanqiu: 86-28-84306742

    Chengdu City Hongguang Electronic Tube Factory 610 Office staff member Xiao Fulian: 86-28-84306955

    June 29, 2005

    Nine Falun Gong Practitioners from Guizhou, Inner Mongolia, Liaoning and Jilin Provinces Die as a Result of Being Persecuted

    Ms. Wang Xia, 36, lived in Xima Town, Longli County, Guizhou Province. She had illnesses throughout her body before she learned Falun Gong, and became healthy after she began practicing. After the persecution of Falun Gong started in 1999, policemen savagely beat Ms. Wang because she was steadfast in her Falun Gong practice. The beating broke her wrist and she was illegally incarcerated for 15 days. After Ms. Wang returned home, her whole family regarded her as a bad person. People from the government monitored her, and personnel from her work unit went to talk with her and threaten her. Due to many forms of pressure, Ms. Wang's physical and mental state deteriorated. She died on March 29, 2003.

    Ms. Liu Jie, 43, was a resident of Qingshan Mountain, Baotou City of Inner Mongolia. In April 2001, because she firmly practiced Falun Gong, she was reported to the police. Ms. Liu was illegally sentenced to 13 months of forced labor. This resulted in Ms. Liu suffering a mental collapse due to the torture. After she was sent home, she was harassed by the local police many times and was under great pressure. She died on June 6, 2005.

    Ms. Chen Guizhen, 64, had serious illnesses before she learned Falun Gong. She often experienced severe nosebleeds. She had difficulties standing and walking, as she often fainted, and several times she was on the brink of death. After she started practicing Falun Gong, Ms. Chen gradually became healthy. On July 20, 1999, when the persecution started, her children and husband's minds were poisoned by the deceitful lies constantly spread about Falun Gong. They started to make trouble for her and forced her to do manual labor. Ms. Chen was verbally abused as soon as she was a bit slow in doing the work they forced upon her. Even the day before she collapsed, her husband used a small donkey cart to carry her to the field to do the farm work and verbally abused her when she was too weak to do it. Ms. Chen became ill and died on July 22, 2004.

    Ms. Wang Yanjun, 47, was a resident of Xinmin Village, Taihe District, Jinzhou City, Liaoning Province. She was a disabled person and confined to a wheelchair and needed help whenever she lay down or sat up. On July 20, 1999, Ms. Wang was very to happy to learn Falun Gong, but soon, Falun Gong was attacked and defamed through radio and TV programs. Ms. Wang started to read Zhuan Falun while she was under a lot of pressure. Thanks to the practice, in 2002 she was able to get in and out of the wheelchair by herself. In 2004, her husband, who did not practice Falun Gong, started to make trouble for her. He forced her to do a lot of work that she was unable to do because she couldn't walk. He did not cook for her or buy food for her. He ate the food brought for her by her family and friends. When fellow practitioners helped Ms. Wang to do things without letting him know, he verbally abused them as soon as he found out, and tried his utmost to prevent her from contacting other people. This lasted until Wang Yanjun died on March 30, 2004 (Chinese lunar calendar).

    Ms. Zhang Guizhi, 72, was a practitioner from Daer Taicai, Songcenmen Township, Chaoyang County, Liaoning Province. She lost her cultivation environment after July 20, 1999. Ms. Zhang suddenly had a stroke and was treated in the hospital. After she was sent home, her family did not want to look after her, as they feared being implicated and losing their jobs. This elderly woman died of her illnesses on May 25, 2002.

    Mr. Wang Zhendong, 72, was a practitioner from Donggou Village, Wafang Town, Chaoyang County, Liaoning Province. Due to long-term persecution, he died in December 2003.

    Mr. Zhang Zhongren, 70, was a retired official from the Shenyang City High Pressure Switch Factory. He suffered a serious stroke after his retirement, and his brain had shrunk. Mr. Zhang fully recovered after practicing Falun Gong. Due to the persecution, however, he died on March 1, 2003.

    Ms. Wu Shulan, 79, was a practitioner from Changchun City, Jilin Province. Her son also practiced Falun Gong. Her son was unlawfully arrested after July 20, 1999. After that time, she was constantly worried and afraid. She was quite concerned that her son might be incarcerated and persecuted. Ms. Wu actually had become healthy after practicing Falun Gong, but then she suddenly became ill in September 2000, and her health quickly deteriorated. She died in October 2000.

    Ms. Zhang Lixin was a practitioner in her 50s from Changchun City, Jilin Province. Her long-term illness had completely vanished after she started practicing Falun Gong. She fully experienced the mighty power of Falun Gong. During the rampant persecution that began on July 20, 1999, Ms. Zhang felt great mental pressure. In particular, her younger brother was arrested and persecuted many times, and was brutally tortured. One day in March 2002, she learned that the authorities had again taken her brother away. The next day she died from an acute heart attack.

    Brief News from China - May 7, 2005

    1. [Shenyang City, Liaoning Province] Mr. Zhang Lirong and His Wife Ms. Ma Yuping Arrested

    On March 1, 2005, Ms. Zhang Lirong went to a fellow practitioner's home to pick up a receipt of water usage. Officers broke into the house and arrested him. The officers also arrested Sui Hua, Zheng Shoujun and Zheng's spouse, who is not a practitioner. In the police station, the officers forcibly held down Zhang and Zheng and injected them with an unknown drug. As a result, Zhang and Zheng both developed symptoms of illness.

    Mr. Zhang Lirong was sentenced to three years of forced labor and held in solitary confinement in the Masanjia Forced Labor Camp. Ms. Ma Yuping is being held in the Shenxin Forced Labor Camp. Their 10-year-old child currently lives with Ms. Ma's mother. Sui Hua is being held in the Shenyang City Detention Center.

    Address of the Hebei Police Station in Heping District, Shenyang City: No. 19 Hebei Street, Heping District, Postal Code: 110005
    Telephone number: 86-24-23318323

    Cheng Guanxin, director of the police station

    2. [Daqing City, Heilongjiang Province] The Police Arrest Ms. Cui Hongyan at Her Home

    At 7:30 a.m. on May 5, 2005, the police suddenly came to Ms. Cui Hongyan's home. They arrested Ms. Cui and tried to confiscate her personal computer. Ms. Cui's son tried to stop the officers, who in turn tried to arrest him. Ms. Cui's family members resisted and the police only took Ms. Cui away with them.

    3. [Yanshi, Henan Province] Ms. Zhu Xianzhi Arrested and Tortured; Her 80-Year-Old Mother Abused When Asking for Her Release

    Ms. Zhu Xianzhi was sentenced to seven years for practicing Falun Gong. She disputed the sentence and went on a hunger strike. Tubes were inserted into her body for force-feeding, which caused complications in her lungs. She is being held in Huaxia Hotel in Yanshi.

    When Ms. Zhu's family learned about her condition, they went to see the authorities. In the temporary office of the Political Security Section and the 610 Office, Zhang Qinghua, head of the 610 Office, was enraged whenever Ms. Zhu's family raised the issue of her lung problem compared with her healthy conditions prior to her arrest. Zhang pushed Ms. Zhu's 80-year-old mother, teenage son, niece and husband out into the corridor, and tried to scare them away with threats but this was of no avail.

    Around 7:00 or 8:00 p.m. a dozen or so people came out of various offices. A man and a woman dragged Ms. Zhu's 80-year-old mother downstairs and threw her onto the lawn. Then they called a taxi, dragged the elderly lady into it and it sped away.

    4. [Haicheng, Liaoning Province] Three Police Officers Arrest Practitioner Mr. Lu

    Elderly practitioner Mr. Lu from Haicheng was working at odd jobs in Anshan City, Liaoning Province. Three police officers arrested him at work on May 5, 2005.

    5. [Nanjing City, Jiangsu Province] The Police Arrest 70-year-old Ms. Wu Zhenying at Her Home

    On the morning of April 29, 2005, officers and members of the 610 Office in Xiaguan District, Nanjing City arrested Ms. Wu Zhenying at her home for practicing Falun Gong. Ms. Wu is 70 years old and her whereabouts are unknown. The police searched Ms. Wu's home and demanded that her husband, who is a non-practitioner, sign the warrant, but he refused.

    6. [Xuchang City, Henan Province] Ms. Zhang Peisheng Sentenced to Prison Again; She Is Appealing Her Case

    After being held for seven months in the Xuchang City Detention Center for her belief in Truthfulness-Benevolence-Forbearance, Ms. Zhang Peisheng from Xuchang City was recently tried in the Xuchang Court. She was sentenced to five and a half years (prior to this, in October 2001, she was sentenced to three years). Ms. Zhang has filed an appeal. Officers in the detention center put her in shackles.

    7. [Yuzhou City, Henan Province] Mr. Wang Weihong and Three Other Practitioners Remain in Detention Centers

    Since the Chinese lunar New Year's Day in 2005 (February 9, 2005), Zhang Guanlin and Xia Yuxiao ordered officers of the Yuzhou City 610 Office to stake out and follow practitioners and tap into their phone lines in order to escalate the persecution. Many people have been arrested and their homes searched. Four practitioners remain in the detention centers: Mr. Wang Hongwei, Ms. Bao Aizhi and Ms. Li Meirong are being held in the Yuzhou City Detention Center; Ms. Xia Chunmei is being held in the Xiang County Detention Center.

    8. [Shijiazhuang City, Hebei Province] The Police Arrest Ms. Feng Xiying Again and Extort Money from Her Family

    On April 30, 2005, officers from the Liuying Police Station in the Qiaoxi District of Shijiazhuang City broke into Ms. Feng Xiying's home. The officers took her to the Hebei Provincial Brainwashing Center and ransacked her home. They demanded 15,000 yuan from her husband, threatening to go to his work unit to secure payment if he refused.

    In 2001, the police had previously arrested Ms. Feng. The authorities were planning to sentence her to three years in prison. Ms. Feng firmly resisted. After her husband paid over 10,000 yuan, they released her. In 2005, the police arrested Ms. Feng again, this time demanding 15,000 yuan for her release.

    Relevant telephone numbers:

    Country code: 86, area code: 311
    Ms. Feng Xiying's home: 3657007
    The Liuying Police Station: 3601914
    Officials on duty at the Hebei Provincial Legal Education Center (brainwashing center): 7762641
    The Office of the brainwashing center: 7792624 extensions 8012 and 8015; 7712624 ext. 8016
    Yuan Shuqian, Guo Suoshan, Li Aiguo, Han, Liang, directors of the brainwashing center

    9. [Qingdao City, Shandong Province] After the Police Arrested Ms. Zhang Jing, She Went on a Hunger Strike

    In mid-April, officers from the Rehe Road Police Station arrested Ms. Zhang Jing, 60, from Qingdao. She was subsequently sent to a brainwashing center located at No. 34 Mingxia Road in Qingdao. Her family has been denied any visits. It has been reported that Ms. Zhang went on a hunger strike to protest the persecution and is very weak physically.

    10. [Beijing] The Police Harass Practitioners in the Fangshan Area

    Ms. Jiang Shufen, Ms. Zhao Shuqin, Ms. Zhang Chunhua, Mr. Cui Zhenyao and Ms. Cui Hongxia are practitioners from Dongguadi Village in Chengguan Town, Fangshan District, Beijing. On April 22, officers from the Fangshan Police Department searched the five practitioners' homes. Ms. Jiang Shufen was arrested. Ms. Zhao Shuqin has been forced to become homeless to avoid arrest.

    11. [Laishui, Hebei Province] Mr. Xin Tingchao Arrested; His Wife Forced to Become Homeless

    Ms. Wang Shuqin and her husband Mr. Xin Tingchao returned to their home in Dongnanzu Village in Laishui after work at 6:30 p.m. on April 7, 2005. Ms. Wang went out again on an errand. She was only a few yards away from her home when two vehicles stopped in front of her door. Eight officers led by Wang Fucai, director of the 610 Office, and Dai Chunjie, of the Political Security Group of the police department, broke into her home. They searched her home without any legal document, confiscating a CD burner and blank CDs worth over 2,000 yuan. Mr. Xin Tingchao was forcibly taken to the detention center.

    It has been reported that Mr. Xin was beaten beyond recognition and passed out twice during the interrogations. His family has been denied any visits. The authorities lied to his family, saying that he had not been abused at all, and that if Ms. Wang Shuqi turned herself in, her husband would be released. Ms. Wang has since been forced to become homeless in order to avoid arrest. Now no one is there to care for their two daughters or tends their fields.

    Xing Meng, Party secretary of the Dongnanzu Farm Group: 86-312-4510106

    12. [Harbin City, Heilongjiang Province] Officers from Wanjia Forced Labor Camp Arrest Ms. Chen Yaru

    Ms. Chen Yaru lives in the family quarters of the Harbin City Geographic Survey Bureau. On April 27, 2005, the Wanjia Forced Labor Camp arrested her.

    Ms. Chen, in her forties, was arrested and sentenced to one year of forced labor after the persecution began on July 20, 1999. On April 27, 2005, when she learned that the labor camp authorities coerced practitioners' family members to curse and step on Teacher's portrait, Ms. Chen was determined that Teacher's portrait should not be placed there. When she arrived at the labor camp, officers asked her what she wanted. She replied, "I'm here to take back our Teacher's portraits." She was immediately taken into custody.

    13. [Linzhou City, Henan Province] Mr. Su Yongsheng Arrested; His Whereabouts Unknown

    Mr. Su Yongshen is from Dongjie Village in Chengjia Tonwship, Linzhou City, Henan Province. On April 29, 2005, the police arrested him at his younger sister's home. His whereabouts are currently unknown.

    14. [Yichang City, Hubei Province] The Police Arrest Falun Gong Practitioners

    In late April 2005, the Pinghu Police Department in Gezhouba arrested Mr. Zhang Huajun and Mr. Zhang Jian from Yichang City, Hubei Province. They were sent to the No. 1 Detention Center. Mr. Zhang Jian was not admitted, as he failed to pass the physical examination.

    Relevant telephone numbers:

    Country code: 86, area code: 717
    Mei Yuanchao, chief of the police department: 6728616 (home)
    Liu Zhengnan, political head of the police department: 6728776 (home), 86-13607205759 (cell)
    Wen Huizhong, deputy chief of the police department: 6713509 (office)
    He Jianqiang: head of the State Security Division: 6712813 (office)
    Zhou Xiangdong, head of the State Security Division: 86-13307205755 (cell)

    Brief News from China - June 22, 2005

    1. [Huludao City, Liaoning Province] Falun Gong Practitioner Na Heqin Holding a Hunger Strike to Protest Illegal Detention

    On June 14, 2005, police arrested Falun Gong practitioner Na Heqin from Huludao City, Liaoning Province from home. She is currently holding a hunger strike at the Qitun Custody Center in Huludao City to protest the illegal detention.

    2. [Heilongjiang Province] Falun Gong Practitioner Mr. Yan Shubin Arrested by Police

    Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Yan Shubin, 48, and his wife, also a practitioner, owned a shoe store near Beixing Farm; the coupled lived on the farm. Their neighbors call them "extremely nice people." In January 2005, police officers Zhang Jianping, Lian Bosheng, Zhang Liguo, Wang Guosheng and others ransacked Yan Shubin's home, claiming they were searching for practitioner Lu Jun, who left home to avoid persecution. They took a computer that was bought only four days ago, copying machine(s) and other equipment. The couple was compelled to leave home to avoid further persecution.

    In May 2005 police arrested Yan Shubin. Police officers Lu Ziting, Zhao Wenkai, Zhuang Dangsheng, Zhou Shengjun and Yang Hongjun from the Beixing Farm picked him up and held him at the Hongxing Administrative Bureau Detention Center.

    Phone numbers of related persons:

    Lu Ziting: head of Beixing Farm Police Station, 86-464-8863168 (Home) 86-464-8860818(Office)

    Zhao Wenkai: police officer, main person in charge of Yan Shubin's case, 86-13946517797 (Cell) 86-464-8860826 (Home)

    Zhang Jianping: police officer, 86-13945586776 (Cell) 86-464-8860883 (Home)

    Yang Hongjun: 86-464-8860458 (Home)

    Zhang Liguo: police officer, 86-464-8861053 (Home)

    3. [Jiangmen City, Guangdong Province] Practitioner Chen Junhui, a Pediatrician, Arrested by 610 Office Agents

    On May 1, 2004, agents from the 610 Office arrested Chen Junhui, a pediatrician at Beijie Hospital in Jiangmen City, Guangdong Province. Rumor has it he was sentenced to two years of forced labor.

    4. [Heilongjiang Province] Persecution of Falun Gong Practitioners at the Mudanjiang Prison

    Practitioner Li Baohua from Qitaihe City has been holding a hunger strike at the Mudanjiang Prison in Heilongjiang Province for over 20 days. Practitioner Yu Qinghai from Qitaihe City, who is being persecuted at Mudanjiang Prison, was diagnosed with hepatitis B, liver cirrhosis, nephritis and other illnesses. The prison authorities had told his family that he was released on medical parole, approved by the Heilongjiang Province Labor Reeducation Bureau.

    5. [Nanyang, Henan Province] Practitioner Ma Gang Sentenced to One-and-a-half Years of Forced Labor for Distributing Truth Clarification Materials

    Falun Gong practitioner Ma Gang, an employee from the Nanyang Oil Field in Henan Province, was arrested in May 2005 and sentenced to one-and-a-half years of forced labor. He has been sent to the Xuchang Forced Labor Camp.

    6. [Maoming City, Guangdong Province] Practitioner He Jing Sentenced to One Year of Forced Labor for Distributing Truth Clarification Materials

    Falun Gong practitioner He Jing from Maoming City was arrested and detained while distributing truth clarification materials during the five-day May 1 holiday in 2005. He was later sentenced to one year of forced labor and was sent to the Sanshui Forced Labor Camp in Guangdong Province.

    7. [Suzhou City, Jiangsu Province] Practitioner Li Wei Sentenced to Six Years in Prison

    Officers from the Jinchang District Police Department arrested Falun Gong practitioner Li Wei from Suzhou City in December 2004. A trial was held on February 21, 2005 and May 10, 2005, both trials ending without a verdict due to lack of evidence. On May 24 another trial was held and Li Wei was sentenced to six years in prison without any additional evidence being presented. Li Wei and his family have appealed the verdict.

    8. [Huaiyang City, Jiangsu Province] Practitioners Wang Haomei and Guo Qingling Arrested by 610 Office Agents

    Around 5:30 p.m. on June 18, 2005, eight perpetrators from the Huaiyang 610 Office including Wang Quandong broke into the home of practitioner Wang Haomei at Louqian Group, Sisuo, Luji Administrative Village, Lutai Town, Huaiyang County. They arrested Wang Haomei and Guo Qingling and also beat Guo Qingling.

    9. [Tongzhou City, Jiangsu Province] Practitioner Yan Ling Sent to Forced Labor; Current Condition Unknown

    Falun Gong practitioner Yan Ling, 59 years old, lives in Jinsha Town, Tongzhou City, Jiangsu Province. She was sentenced to one year of forced labor for persisting in her belief in Falun Gong. She has been held at the Jiangsu Province Female Labor Camp for nearly six months. Her immediate family and other relatives are not allowed to visit her. Her current condition is unknown.

    Education Section at the Jiangsu Province Female Labor Camp: 86-511-7707013

    Division 3 (specializes in the persecution of Falun Gong): 86-511-7706074

    Yan Ling: 86-513-6510556 (home)

    10. [Tangshan City, Hebei Province] Practitioner Guo Shuxian Arrested and Sent to a Brainwashing Class

    On May 24, 2005, perpetrators from the Tangshan Textile University Brainwashing Class and from the Beijiadian Township government arrested Falun Gong practitioner Guo Shuxian from Beijiadian County. Her husband Liu Jinfu, also a practitioner, was sentenced to three years of forced labor and sent to the Hehuakeng Forced Labor Camp in late March by perpetrators from the Qianan National Security Division.

    11. [Harbin, Heilongjiang Province] Zeng Shuling has been Sentenced to Two Years in a Forced Labor Camp

    On May 14, 2005, Harbin Falun Gong practitioner Zeng Shuling was taken away from her work place. She was sentenced to two years in a labor camp on June 17 and is currently being detained in the Women's Labor Camp in Heilongjiang Province, the former Drug Rehabilitation Center in Heilongjiang Province.

    12. [Harbin, Heilongjiang Province] Ms. Hu Aiyun has been Locked Inside a Small Cell for a Year in the Women's Jail in Harbin City

    Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Hu Aiyun is being detained in the Women's Jail in Harbin City. Since May 12, 2004, she has been locked in a small cell. She was allowed to leave the small cell for only a couple of days. During that time she was handcuffed and had to sit on the floor. She has endured all manner of torture from the jail's second division.

    13. [Changchun City, Jilin Province] Chaoyanggou Labor Camp Guards Brutally Torture Falun Gong Practitioner Li Yongfu

    In May 2005, Chaoyanggou Labor Camp perpetrators started a round of "storming the Falun Gong practitioners of heavily fortified positions." At first, the policemen would talk to each practitioner individually till midnight. Practitioner Li Yongfu in Division One did not give in after many talks with the policemen. The evening of May 9, policeman Wang Bihong instructed criminals Zhang Liguo and Dong Chen to kick and punch Li Yongfu. When this information got out the next day, many practitioners resisted the persecution in different ways. Some talked to the director. Some clarified the truth to the criminals. Such persecution was not to be sustained. The policemen even said they would punish the ones who beat people. Afterwards they forced Li Yongfu to listen to their talk until 2:00 a.m. every day, and forced him to work during the daytime. On May 15 Li Yongfu was called to the guard's office. Head Yu Tie, deputy head Gao Zhilu, policeman Wang Bihong and policeman Yu kicked and punched Li Yongfu and shocked him with electric batons.

    14. [Puyang, Henan Province] Jiang Zhaofang, Zheng Xiaoli and Others Sent to a Forced Labor Camp

    Since January 2005, the 610 Office (now called Office for [Social] Stability) in the Zhongyuan Oil Field, Puyang, Henan Province arrested several practitioners. Eight of them were sent to a forced labor camp and forced to attend two brainwashing classes. Practitioner Jiang Zhaofang and Zheng Xiaoli were sentenced to two years and one and a half years in a labor camp, respectively, after they had been arrested over a month ago.

    In addition, after practitioner Yan Dongyu was sentenced to three years in March, the Zhongyuan Oil Field 610 Office authorities decided to retry him for longer jail term in June.

    15. [Zhengzhou, Henan Province] Six Practitioners Arrested and Taken to the Wanqinshanzhuang Brainwashing Class

    Between 5 and 6 o'clock in the afternoon of June 16, 2005, policemen in the Shangjie District, Zhengzhou City arrested Falun Gong practitioners within the Shangjie District area. We have confirmed six practitioners were taken away and sent to the Wanqinshanzhuang Brainwashing Class in Zhengzhou City. They are Jia Jun and Hu Aimin (employees at Zhongnan Aluminum Ltd. Henan Branch), retiree Jia Changfa, hospital employee/retiree Zheng Tonghua, Cement Plant retiree Ma Fenlin and Xiahou Village resident Su Yuzhi.

    16. [Hengshui City, Hebei Province] The 610 Office Perpetrators Sent Wang Fang to a Brainwashing Class in Hengshui City

    Wang Fang from the municipal Party committee in Hengshui City, Hebei Province has recently been taken away by personnel from the 610 Office and detained in a brainwashing class in Hengshui City.

    17. [Wuhan, Hubei Province] Policemen Arrested Liu Youqing As He Distributed Truth-clarifying Materials

    Wuhan Falun Gong practitioner Liu Youqing went to Hanyang to distribute truth-clarifying materials in the afternoon of June 17, 2005. Officers in the Hanyang Police Department arrested him. The police station personnel in Erqiao, Jianghan (close to Guocikou, Hanyang) sent him to the Dongxihu Erzhigou Detention Center in Wuhan. The policemen did not allow anybody to visit him.

    18. [Guang'an City, Sichuan Province] Police Arrest Several Practitioners, They Are Taken to the Huaying Brainwashing Class

    On June 15, 2005, under the command of the local 610 Office, Guang'an City Police launched another round of raids against practitioners. To date, practitioners who have been taken to the Huaying Brainwashing Class include Zhang Congyuan from the Chengnan District, Du Pingsheng from the Chengbei District, Liu Mingqing and Wang Shiying from the Shisun District, and Li Dayuan from Anshan City. The situation in other districts is unknown.

    19. [Kunming City, Yunan Province] Miao Qing Sentenced to Five Years of Imprisonment for Making Truth-Clarifying Materials

    Ms. Miao Qing, formerly a teacher from the Yunan Province Arts & Crafts School, is in her 30s. She was arrested in November 2002 because she made some truth-clarifying materials for Falun Gong and was sentenced to five years of imprisonment. She is now being held at the Yunnan Province's Second Women's Prison. As Miao Qing refused to accept the illegal detention, she has been locked in solitary confinement. The police forbade her family members to visit her. After her elderly parents made numerous requests through different channels, they were recently allowed to visit Miao Qing. Eight policemen were present when the family met so they couldn't talk freely. Miao Qing's face has become deformed as a result of the abuse she has suffered.

    20. [Benxi City, Liaoning Province] Police Arrest Two Practitioners for Clarifying the Truth

    On June 1, 2005, personnel from the Beidi Police Station arrested practitioners Sun Shuyu and Liu from Benxi City while the practitioners were clarifying the truth about Falun Gong to people. They have been sent to Benxi City's Detention Center.

    Telephone number of the Benxi City Detention Center: 86-414-5893121.

    21. [Yingkou City, Liaoning Province] Wang Huimin Sentenced to Seven Years of Imprisonment

    Practitioner Ms. Wang Huimin from Yingkou City is about 60 years old. On October 23, 2004 she was arrested in a rented place in Gaizhou City, Liaoning Province. Her computer, printer and other personal belongings were confiscated. She was put into the Gai County Detention Center and the Bayuquan No.3 Detention Center. Recently she was sentenced to seven years of imprisonment. Authorities are planning to send Ms. Wang to the Wafangdian City Prison in Liaoning Province.

    Telephone numbers of some relevant units and responsible personnel:

    (Country code: 86, area code: 417. Do not dial area code before cell phone numbers)

    Zhan Zairen, Bayuquan No.3 Detention Center head;

    Wang Hongkui, National Security Team chief: 13841755119 (Cell);
    Li Zhongquan, National Security Team deputy chief;
    Du Xizhen, Political Committee head, Police Department: 13841711777(Cell);
    Zou Baocheng, Bayuquan Court chief: 2609998 and 13704971181(Cell);
    Xing Hongliang, chief inspector, Bayuquan Procuratorate Department: 13840700006 (Cell).

    22. [Guangzhou City, Guangdong Province] Li Hongling is Staging a Hunger Strike at the Chatou Forced Labor Camp

    Practitioner Li Hongling was originally from Hunan Province. She was an English teacher at Zengcheng City's Second Middle School in Guangdong Province and was twice sentenced to forced labor. Ms. Li has been staging a hunger strike for more than a year, and she is constantly suffering punitive force-feeding.