The Facts of the Persecution of Falun Gong  -- July 8, 2005

Issued by Clearwisdom Net

  • Practitioner Ms. Ren Shujie from Shenyang, Liaoning Province Is at the Brink of Death from Torture

  • Practitioners in Jilin City Expose the Persecution to the Local People, Call for Severe Punishment of Gao Rongrong's Murderers

  • More Information on the Torture Death of Practitioner Liu Baoyuan

  • Shenyang City, Liaoning Province: Police Arrest Ms. Yao Sumei and Refuse to Reveal Her Location

  • Several Practitioners Arrested and Subjected to Brainwashing in Hefei City, Anhui Province

  • Five Practitioners in Liaoning and Heilongjiang Provinces Passed Away as a Result of Persecution

  • Brief News from China - May 12, 2005

  • Summary of Other Articles and News - June 21, 2005

  • Summary of Other Articles and News - June 30, 2005

  • Practitioner Ms. Ren Shujie from Shenyang, Liaoning Province Is at the Brink of Death from Torture

    Ms. Ren Shujie was detained in the Longshan Forced Labor Camp and the Masanjia Forced Labor Camp for three years for cultivating Falun Gong. During that time she endured inhumane persecution. She could not eat normally after returning home due to her mistreatment in the labor camps. She is now so weak that she is dying.

    Ms. Ren Shujie is emaciated and extremely weak

    Ms. Ren Shujie, 42, is a practitioner from the Tiexi District of Shenyang in Liaoning Province. She previously owned a fabric shop in the Donghu Market in the Hong District. Ms. Ren started practicing Falun Gong in 1998 and benefited mentally and physically. After she became a Falun Gong practitioner, Ms. Ren became honest and kind and enjoyed helping others. Her customers and the other shop owners regarded her as a good person.

    On May 21, 2002, officers from the Zhonggong Police Station, under the Tiexi District Police Department in Shenyang, abducted Ms. Ren Shujie and sent her to three years of forced labor. They detained her in Team Two of the Longshan Forced Labor Camp. After she arrived at the labor camp, Ms. Ren started a hunger strike that lasted for 64 days. The long hunger strike severely affected her health. Nevertheless, two weeks after she started the hunger strike, team leader Tang Yubao, disregarding her weakness, arranged for her to be "reformed" (brainwashed). The officials deprived her of sleep for seven consecutive nights. Because Ms. Ren went to bed to rest following the camp schedule, Tang Yubao used two electric batons and shocked her for thirty minutes.

    People at the scene included Liang Hong, Ma Wei and others. Falun Gong practitioners Ms. Gong Huijie, Ms. Sun Ying, and Ms. Cai Baoju also saw Tang Yubao's vicious act. Because Ms. Ren persisted in her belief and did not give in, Tang Yubao got so exasperated that he threatened, "If you don't reform we will send you to Dabei Prison." Ms. Ren was unmoved.

    Besides brainwashing, Longshan Forced Labor Camp officials also forced practitioners to do the extremely heavy manual labor of processing candles for export. They had to work from 7:00 a.m. until 10:30 p.m. The slave labor facility was on the second floor. Practitioners had to carry the candles upstairs and then downstairs and got so tired that they could hardly stand upright. To resist such inhumane abuse, on February 4, 2003, Ms. Ren, Sun Yan, and Su Weihuan started a hunger strike. Policeman Tang Yubao still ordered the three of them to work and threatened, "I want to see who doesn't work!"

    On the fifth day of the hunger strike, under the extreme duress of physical and mental persecution, Ms. Ren violated Falun Gong's prohibition on taking any life, including one's own. In her desperation, Ms. Ren swallowed pieces of glass, in an apparent attempt to take her own life.

    The prison police sent Ms. Ren to the No. 2 Hospital of the Medical University. The hospital refused to admit her. Two days later Tang Yubao, team leader Wang Chunmei, and Liang Zhen sent her to the Army General Hospital. The hospital's diagnosis stated "torn esophagus from glass, having produced a hole." The doctor placed a "protective net" inside her esophagus and requested that the prison police bring her back in 20 days to remove it. When the prison police finally brought her back 40 days later, the doctor told them that because of the delay, the net had become permanent and could no longer be removed. The doctor also said that Ms. Ren would only be able to ingest fluids from then on. Since then, Ms. Ren Shujie has been unable to eat normally, and her health has declined daily.

    In mid-June 2003, a disabled, elderly practitioner named Huang Shixiang suggested that Tang Yubao remove the Falun Gong founder's picture from the floor that was put there for people to tread on. Tang Yubao beat her viciously and shocked her with an electric baton. Ms. Ren told Tang Yubao to treat older practitioners kindly. Tang also shocked her with an electric baton and kicked her. Ms. Ren's mouth was swollen and drooped, her eye sockets were bruised and swollen, her eyes were bloodshot, her face was disfigured, and her body was covered with bruises.

    In March 22, 2004, Longshan Forced Labor Camp authorities sent Ms. Ren Shujie to the Masanjia Forced Labor Camp. She was ordered to sleep on the cold floor for three months. Ms. Ren Shujie's face swelled, and her legs showed signs of severe edema. Each time a spot was pressed, an indentation would remain. Ms. Ren also held a hunger strike during that time. Since Ms. Ren could not eat normally, she was extremely weak at the time of her release from the labor camp on December 24, 2004.

    Because she still had the "net" inside her esophagus, Ms. Ren was not able to eat normally after she returned home. She has grown weaker and weaker, and her vital signs have been precarious several times.

    Now Ms. Ren vomits whenever she eats or drinks, and she is emaciated. She used to weight 80 kilograms (176 lbs.) but now weighs less than 40 (88 lbs.). Her life is ebbing away.

    Fellow practitioners, please send forth righteous thought to support Ms. Ren Shujie and eliminate the old force's dark minions and rotten ghosts, the CCP evil pestilence and all of its evil factors.

    July 1, 2005

    Practitioners in Jilin City Expose the Persecution to the Local People, Call for Severe Punishment of Gao Rongrong's Murderers

    Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Gao Rongrong (37 years old), was an accountant at the Luxun Academy of Fine Arts in Shenyang City. After her face was disfigured from prolonged torture, her life was in grave danger. And after images of Ms. Gao's horribly disfigured face were publicized around the world, the perpetrators were extremely frightened and terrified.

    On October 5, 2004, several local Falun Gong practitioners successfully rescued Gao Rongrong from police custody and exposed additional information about her persecution to the outside world.

    The police officials turned a blind eye to the criminals who were incited by guards to torture Ms. Gao Rongrong. The Public Security Department called Ms. Gao's escape the "Number 26 Case." At this point the 610 Office system head, Luo Gan, personally took charge of the continued persecution of Ms. Gao. On March 6, 2005, Gao Rongrong was unfortunately abducted again. Ms. Gao held hunger strikes since that time to protest her abduction and persecution. On June 6, she was taken from Masanjia Forced Labor Camp to the Medical University Hospital.

    Instructed by Luo Gan, the Liaoning Province Chinese Communist Party (CCP) Political Judiciary Committee, the Procuratorate, the Department of Justice, and the Police Department were combined together to conceal information about Ms. Gao Rongrong's case. Those practitioners thought to have been involved in Ms. Gao's rescue were rounded up and cruelly tortured. On June 16, 2005, Ms. Gao died in the emergency room of China Medical University Hospital, of complications stemming from torture and abuse in custody.

    Upon learning the sad news, we were deeply shocked. Even after images of Ms. Gao Rongrong's horribly disfigured face were exposed to the outside world, the Chinese Communist Party disregarded international opinion and the righteous voices of Chinese people, without regrets and restraint. Instead, it turned to even more covert and underhanded persecution methods. The CCP could even murder Gao Rongrong in the international spotlight.

    This banner is 3 meters long and 1 meter high. The words on the banner are, "Shenyang Falun Gong practitioner Gao Rongrong was murdered, severely punish the murderer Luo Gan"

    This banner was hung on the metal guardrails of Jilin City Intermediate Court

    On the evening of July 1, 2005, on the metal guardrails of the Jilin City Intermediate Court in Mainland China, there appeared a banner three meters long and one meter high. The banner read, "Shenyang Falun Gong practitioner Gao Rongrong was murdered, severely punish the murderer Luo Gan." At the top left corner of the banner are two photos of Gao Rongrong; one was taken after her face was disfigured from electric baton shock torture, and the other photo shows Ms. Gao before she was persecuted. On the stone wall of the gate of the Intermediate People's Court, on the walls of the Trial Court, on the walls surrounding the court, and on the street lamp pole with the sign of the police station, there are over ten colored notices posted; the handbills read, "Gao Rongrong was disfigured and then tortured to death, the Chinese people strongly call for severe punishment of the murderers!" These notices mainly exposed the tortures that Gao Rongrong suffered during her illegal incarceration and at the forced labor camp. They described how she lost hearing in one ear, her face was disfigured from seven hours of electric baton shock torture, her bodily organs were atrophying and she was left as only skin and bones. Her life was in grave danger. After Ms. Gao was successfully rescued by Falun Gong practitioners, the 610 Office head, Luo Gan, personally gave the order to round up practitioners involved in Ms. Gao's rescue. Gao Rongrong was unfortunately rearrested in March, 2005 and died in police custody on June 16, 2005. The final message on the handbill is an urgent call to all Chinese people: "Every one of us should not keep silent any more, such a good person who believes in 'Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance' has been mercilessly disfigured and then murdered. In face of such relentless murder of our kind fellow countrymen, we should step forward without any hesitation to resist the evil. In the name of humanity and human nature, let's stop the evil atrocities!"

    Banners hung on the metal guardrails of Jilin City Intermediate Court
    Sample of notices posted on the walls in front of the gate of the court, the trial court and the surrounding walls

    Notice posted on the stone wall of the trial court

    Notices posted on the surrounding wall of the court
    Notices posted on street lamp pole with the sign of the police station

    Banner hung on the side gate of the trial court

    Passers-by stop to read the notices

    On the morning of July 2, 2005, people doing their morning exercises and other passers-by stopped in front of the Jilin City Intermediate Court to read the banner and the posted notices. They have truly learned the fact that good people are being persecuted brutally in Mainland China. The Chinese people who have been brainwashed by the evil party over the past years of the CCP regime and who have become indifferent under the despotic power's rule, were shocked at seeing the banner and the posted notices. They have also witnessed the fact that there are people near them in Mainland China who can reflect the people's concerns in a peaceful and rational manner, regardless of the ferocity of the persecution.

    More Information on the Torture Death of Practitioner Liu Baoyuan

    Mr. Liu Baoyuan was thirty-three years old. He was from Beizhang Village, Gaoli Town, Dingxing County, Baoding City, Hebei Province. During the end of August and early September in 1999, he was detained at the Gaoli Town Police Station. He was brutally beaten every day during the interrogation, leaving wounds all over his body. After July 20, 1999, he was in charge of some coordination work for Falun Gong. In 2000, he was detained for validating Falun Gong. Later he managed to walk out of detention with righteous thoughts. After that he was forced to leave home to avoid recapture and further persecution. He had been in charge of the coordination work. In September of 2002, when trying to escape from the police, he accidentally fell from the third floor and died.

    All of the villagers know that Mr. Liu was an honest and kind person. During the past several years, the police arrested and tortured him, and extorted money from him just because he practiced Falun Gong. His wife also persisted in practicing and was sentenced to a labor camp. They left behind a teenage son and his father. Mr. Liu's son and father are now living with his brother.

    Since the start of the persecution on July 20, 1999, the Gaoli Town government and local police have repeatedly arrested local Falun Gong practitioners and held brainwashing sessions several times a year. The secretary of the town Party committee, Liu Wenxin, policemen Lin Zhiqiang and Li Deliang from the police station, and others detained practitioners at the court of the town government building or at the police station. They brainwashed and ruthlessly beat them. If the practitioners fainted, they waited until they woke up and then continued to beat them. The usual method they used was that a dozen people surrounded one practitioner and they all took turns beating him. They stripped off the clothing of the male practitioners and forced their hands above their heads or handcuffed their hands behind their backs to electric poles. They then whipped the practitioners' faces with wet towels or beat them with sticks. If the sticks broke, they then changed to a two-inch-wide thick white plastic tubing or an electric baton. They used wine bottles to strike their ankles. They forced female practitioners to kneel down and took turns beating them until they were so tired from beating that they could not raise their arms. When practitioners were beaten so badly that they could not move, they said that the practitioners were faking.

    June 26, 2005

    Shenyang City, Liaoning Province: Police Arrest Ms. Yao Sumei and Refuse to Reveal Her Location

    ( On June 23, 2005, at about 10:00 a.m., Qi Guoxing from the ZhaiJia Town Judicial Bureau in the Yuhong Area of Shenyang City, Liaoning Province, along with ZhaiJia Town Police Station official Zhou Mingxi and other police officers, went to Xiaoaijing Village and arrested practitioner Ms. Yao Sumei. They then refused to tell her family her whereabouts.

    Before arresting her, Qi Guoxing, Zhou Mingxi, and the others went to the Xiaoaijing Village government building and ordered Party Secretary Hu Quanku to dispatch the electrician Hu Xiangzhi to Ms. Yao Sumei's house, intending to trap her in the government building and then arrest her. However, Ms. Yao was working at somebody else's house, so Qi Guoxing and Zhou Mingxi ordered Hu Quanku and several other village officials to lead them to arrest her. They went to Ms. Yao Sumei's workplace and ordered her to go with them. Ms. Yao knew they had bad intentions, so she refused, but Zhou Mingxi and the other officers dragged her to the car.

    Eventually the local village officials informed Ms. Yao Sumei's family. On the morning of the second day, Ms. Yao's son went to the police station and questioned police officer Zhou Mingxi, who said, "I did not arrest her" and then rushed into the restroom. The young man waited for Zhou to come back from the restroom and asked again, saying, "People said you arrested her." But Zhou said, "Go ask the chief of the police."

    Ms. Yao's son also asked many other police officers, who either said, "I don't know" or "We have never arrested Yao Sumei." The young man then went to Chief Jiang Guodong's Office. Jiang said, " We did not arrest her. Go ask the Tiexi District Politics and Law Committee and also the 610 Office. Ms. Yao's son said, "Then please issue an official letter, otherwise what should I do if they do not let me in." Jiang Guodong replied, "We do not have any responsibility to issue you any official document." Yao Sumei's son said, "The victim is under your control. As the son of the victim I need to go to a higher official to request an investigation. The police station should issue a document for me. Besides, weren't you involved in the arrest?" Jiang Guodong said, "You have no right to know who arrested her." Yao's son asked. "As the victim's son how come I have no right to know who arrested her?" Jiang said, "We don't need to tell you." The young man then walked out of the chief's office, for there was nothing more to say to these lawless officials.

    As he was leaving, Ms. Yao's son saw a choir group that had come to the station. He told them about the police's crooked acts and how they arrested people and then lied about it. When a policeman from the station saw that their evil doings were going to be exposed, he threatened, "Get away from here now, or I am going to get tough." At the same time, several policemen arrived and pushed him out of the police station.

    June 28, 2005

    Several Practitioners Arrested and Subjected to Brainwashing in Hefei City, Anhui Province

    There have been several cases of persecution of Falun Gong practitioners in Hefei City recently. Investigation shows that these cases were all arranged by Li Gang from Yaohai District Police Department and Wang Chuang from Yaohai District 610 Office, two criminals dedicated to persecuting Falun Gong. Other participating organizations include the street administration offices and police stations in charge of the areas where the practitioners live, as well as their workplaces. Authorities arrested practitioners and took them to two brainwashing centers. One was secretly set up at the Community Service Center on Heping Road of Yaohai District, and the other one was at the Anhui Province Police Officers' Institute.

    Practitioners who were abducted and taken to the brainwashing center at the Community Service Center on Heping Road of Yaohai District (which is opposite to No. 31 Building, the Second Village of Anhui Province Construction Company) include:

    Ms. Zhao Ronghua, in her 60s, is a retired worker from the textile company. On the afternoon of April 19, several policemen from Heping Road Street Administration Office and Police Station abducted her on her way home and took her to the brainwashing center.

    Ms. Dai Gouqin, over 60 years old, lived in No. 32 Building, the Second Village of Anhui Province Construction Company. At approximately 3:00 p.m. on April 19, officers from Heping Road Police Station, Street Administration Office, Community Service Center and the Second Division of Anhui Province Construction Company came and took her away. Ms Dai protested with a hunger strike and was then taken to Heifei City No. 8 Hospital and given an injection against her will. The authorities failed to extort a "hospital fee" from her family members, so they had to release her. At 9:00 a.m. on May 8, about five or six officials again broke into her home and took her to the brainwashing center.

    Mr. Zhang Haijun, in his 30s, is a staff member of the Transportation Division of Hefei Steel Company. On May 13, authorities from Yaohai District Political and Judicial Committee and Hongguang Street Administration Office seized him at work with the excuse of calling him to the Political and Judicial Committee to have a talk. Zhang Haijun had already been incarcerated for six months at Kaiyuan Guest House since April 2001, and his salary had not been paid for a long time.

    Ms. Xu Qiong, over 40 years old, is a staff member from the Anhui Province Hengtong Machinery Factory. She was recently abducted from work. She has been sentenced to forced labor for practicing Falun Gong, and has even been illegally incarcerated for many days in the Hefei Steel Company Guest House, suffering from the persecution.

    Practitioners who have been forced into the brainwashing center at Anhui Province Police Officer's Institute include:

    Ms. Zhang Yulian, over 40 years old, a staff member from the Technical Control Division of Hefei Steel Company. On the morning of June 8, the criminals took her to the Heping Road Community Service Center under the pretext of having a talk. The next day, she was transferred to Anhui Province Police Officer's Institute for persecution. As Zhang Yulian firmly practices Falun Gong, she has been sentenced to forced labor and was incarcerated in a mental hospital.

    Ms. Xu Xiaoxian, in her 40s, lived in Nanji Building at the Anfang First Village. She has been harassed, abducted and incarcerated repeatedly by the police. On the morning of May 13, while she was shopping with her family at Anfang Fruit Market, six or seven people who claimed to be from the Political and Judicial Committee surrounded her. They wanted to have a talk with her, but she firmly refused. They then tried to drag her away in public. Fortunately, her husband came in time and stopped them, and their plot failed. On the afternoon of June 8, they broke into Jiajiajie Supermarket, Ms. Xu's workplace, and abducted her and took her to the brainwashing center.

    During the week from June 4 to June 10, other practitioners who were abducted included Mei Ting, Wang Jian, Ji Guangqui, Ji Guangxiong, Zhang Lanping and others. According to sources, the practitioners who were abducted are staging a hunger strike to protest, and their health is at serious risk.

    June 27, 2005

    Five Practitioners in Liaoning and Heilongjiang Provinces Passed Away as a Result of Persecution

    Ms. Gao Suling was seventy years old. She was from Anshan City, Liaoning Province. She used to suffer from various diseases, but after beginning the practice of Falun Gong in 1994, she became healthy. In 2002, Ms. Gao was arrested for clarifying the truth. While being detained, she was not allowed to practice Falun Gong. Consequently her diseases recurred, and she passed away in May 2005.

    Ms. Jin Xiumei was sixty-seven years old. She was from Anshan City, Liaoning Province. Since July 20, 1999, she had been constantly harassed by the street committee and even her family.  As a result, her health condition deteriorated. After suffering tremendous mental and physical torture, she passed away in March 2005.

    Ms. Yang Guizhi was seventy years old. She was from Chaoyang City, Liaoning Province. Before practicing Falun Gong, she was very weak and suffered from various diseases. After she started practicing Falun Gong in 1998, all of her diseases were cured and her complexion became rosy. When Jiang Zemin's regime started the persecution of Falun Gong in 1999, she lost the environment for practice. In addition, witnessing her family members who also practice Falun Gong being brutally tortured, Ms. Yang was devastated mentally and physically. She suffered serious disease in 2003 and passed away in 2004.

    Mr. Fan Shucheng was seventy-six years old. He was from Shuangcheng City, Heilongjiang Province. After obtaining the Fa in 1997, many of his diseases were cured. His son also practices Falun Gong. Since July 20, 1999, the vicious perpetrators repeatedly harassed and threatened them because his son is on the Chinese Communist Party's blacklist. Mr. Fan passed away on February 1, 2001 under the enormous mental stress of the persecution.

    Ms. Yang Guilan was sixty years old. She was a primary school teacher in Shuangyashan City, Heilongjiang Province. After she obtained the Fa in 1997, all of her diseases were cured and she became very energetic. She participated in the "April 25" peaceful appeal at the national appeals office near Zhongnanhai (Chinese central government compound) in 1999. Since July 20, 1999, Ms. Yang had been under pressure from all areas of her environment. Later, Ms. Yang dared not to continue the practice, fearing that she would be persecuted. As a result, all of her diseases recurred and she eventually developed stomach cancer. Yang Guilan passed away in July 2002.

    Brief News from China - May 12, 2005

    1. [Tianshui City, Gansu Province] Mr. Wang Yuanxin Arrested; Mr. Pu Binpeng Forced to Become Homeless

    Mr. Wang Yuanxin from Gangu County in Tianshui City, Gansu Province was arrested again in mid-April by the county police. Mr. Pu Binpeng has been forced to become homeless. Prior to this, local police had extorted 10,000 yuan from each of them.

    2. [Xianyang City, Shaanxi Province] Ms. He Chunlan and Four Other Practitioners Arrested

    On April 20, 2005, Ms. He Chunlan from the Weihe Electric Plant in Xianyang, Ms. Lu Jinlan, Ms. Yang Liying, Ms. Luo Ruizhi and Mr. Zhan Zhiqing were arrested in their homes respectively. When the police broke into Ms. He's home, she was sitting in meditation. Her glasses fell to the ground and broke into pieces as the officers forcibly took her away. The whereabouts of the five practitioners are unknown.

    3. [Wuhan City, Hubei Province] Mr. Wang Sheng Held in a Police Station in Wuchang District

    Mr. Wang Sheng works in Wuhan City. On May 9, he was arrested while distributing truth clarifying materials. His office was searched. He is being held in the Zhongnan Road Police Station in Wuchang District.

    4. [Pingquan, Hebei Province] Pingquan State Security Division Arrests and Harasses Local Falun Gong Practitioners

    Mr. Ren Qingli was turned in to the police by Wang Delin who lives on Nandajie Street in Pingquan on April 28, 2005 and was arrested by the state security division.

    Around 9:00 a.m. on April 29, five officers led by Mu Baomin of the state security division broke into Mr. Wang Shuwen and Ms. Liu Yulan's home to harass them. Around 3:00 p.m. the same day, Mr. Luo Wenkui was also harassed by state security officers who broke into his home.

    Relevant telephone numbers:

    Country code: 86, area code: 314
    Wang Delin, informant who has been awarded 200 yuan: 6020596 (home)
    Office of Chief of the Pingquan Police Department: 6024842, 6024873
    Hu Qiwen, head of the State Security Division: 6026481 (home), 86-13703143715 (cell)
    Liu Xiuchun, chief of the police department: 6020341 (home)
    Tong Lijun, Party secretary of the police department: 6021997 (home)
    Mu Baojun, deputy chief of the police department: 6022183 (home)
    Song Zhansheng, vicious officer from the police department: 6039888 (home)
    No. 13 Division of the Beijiao Prison in Shijiazhuang City: 7751912 ext. 6575

    5. [Shiyan City, Hubei Province] Ms. He Jiao Illegally Put on Trial in Maojian District Court

    The Maojian District Court in Shiyan City, Hubei Province has scheduled an illegal trial of Ms. He Jiao, a young teacher from the city's Shiyan Middle School, on the morning of May 11, 2005

    6. [Jiujiang City, Jiangxi Province] Ms. Chen Youyun and Other Practitioners Held in Custody for Years

    In January 2000, Ms. Chen Youyun, Ms. Wu Yanpng and several other people from Jiujiang City, Jiangxi Province were forcibly taken to a brainwashing center from their homes. They held firm their beliefs in Falun Gong. As a result, they have been unlawfully held in custody for nearly five years, long after their terms of custody ended.

    7. [Li County, Hebei Province] Police Arrest Ms. Wang Sumei and Two Other Practitioners

    Between 12:00 a.m. and 4:00 a.m. on May 10, 2005, Ms. Wang Sumei, Ms. Zhao Guo and another practitioner whose name is unknown, all from Li County in Baoding City, Hebei Province, were forcibly taken into custody and sent to a brainwashing center known as the "Baoding Legal Education Base" in Baoding City.

    8. [Xi'an City, Shaanxi Province] Persecution against Mr. Li Zhao and Other Practitioners

    Mr. Li Zhao was arrested while distributing truth clarifying materials in November 2004. He was initially held in the Yanta Road Detention Center. Later he was sentenced to one year in prison. Mr. Li is being held in the Zaozihe Men's Forced Labor Camp.

    Ms. Bai Changling was arrested during the Spring Festival Season early 2004 after informants turned her in to the police. She was initially held in the Yanta Road Detention Center, where she endured inhumane torture and suffered severe injuries. She was sent to Ankang Hospital for treatment. She was transferred to the No. 5 Division of the police department before she recuperated.

    Wang Huijun was arrested in March 2004 and was held in the Yanta Road Detention Center. It was reported that he was tortured and injected with unknown substances. As a result, he was in daze and drooled continually. His whereabouts are unknown.

    9. [Tieling City, Liaoning Province] Updates on Ms. Liu Qingyu from Qinghe District

    Around 11:00 p.m. on April 23, 2005, six or seven officers led by Lan Wen, director of the Hongqi Street Police Station in Qinghe District, opened Ms. Liu Qingyu's door with a universal key. The officers searched her home without presenting any warrants, confiscating Falun Gong books, truth clarifying CDs and some cash. They also forcibly took Ms. Liu into custody and sent her to the Qinghe District Detention Center.

    In the detention center, Ms. Liu went on a hunger strike. The officers put shackles on her and assigned two inmates to watch her closely. Each day, she was forced to have an IV. On May 8 (the sixteenth day of her hunger strike), Ms. Liu was illegally sentenced to three years of forced labor by the Qinghe District Police Department. She was sent to the Tieling City Forced Labor Camp. Due to her physical condition, the labor camp authorities refused to admit her. Ms. Liu's term was changed to be "served offsite" and she was taken home by her family.

    10. [Penglai City, Shandong Province] Mr. Han Lezhong Arrested

    Mr. Han Lezhong lives in Hantong Village in Penglai City, Shandong Province. On April 29, officers from the Nanguan Road Police Station and officials from the Penglai City 610 Office arrested him. The officers located information that Mr. Han downloaded from the Internet, confiscating his personal computer and other materials.

    Relevant telephone numbers:

    Hao Jianwei, director of the Nanguan Police Station who carried out the arrest: 86-13963846266 (cell), 86-535-5655958 (office), 86-535-5648775 (office)
    Zhang Yu, police officer: 86-13792570966 (cell)
    Li Weixun, informant, village Party secretary: 86-1395450888 (cell)

    11. [Dalian City, Liaoning Province] Ms. Wang Ping and Other Practitioners Arrested

    On April 20 and April 22, 2005, officers from the Dalian City Police Department joined those from the Fuzhouwan Town Police Department in Wafangdian City and arrested Mr. Tang and Ms. Wang Ping in Fuzhouwan Town, Wafangdian City (which is a subordinate city in Dalian). The officers confiscated two personal computers, two printers in addition to other items worth over 20,000 yuan. It has been reported that the two practitioners are being held in the Dalian City Detention Center. The cause of the arrests was that they were under surveillance when accessing the Internet via cellular phone.

    Relevant telephone numbers:

    Country code: 86, area code: 411
    Main telephone line of the Dalian City Police Department: 83631881 (and ask for extensions of Disciplinary Division, administration office, and the office of the department chief)
    Appeal's Office of the Dalian City Police Department: 83631486
    Political Division of the Wafangdian City Police Department: 85612625
    Security and Administration Division: 85613029
    Fuzhouwan Town Police Department in Wafangdian City: 85205017

    12. [Liaoyuan City, Liaoning Province] Several Practitioners Illegally Arrested

    On May 5, 2005, an elderly female practitioner in Liaoyuan City, Jilin Province was arrested while distributing truth clarifying materials in the Dongshan Police Agency in Liaoyuan City. Another elderly practitioner who accompanied her managed to escape, but he was arrested at his home on May 6.

    Li Yuping, deputy chief of the police department in charge of this case: 3224894 (office), 3195613 (home), 86-1335156004 (cell)

    May 11, 2005

    Summary of Other Articles and News - June 21, 2005

    1. Details of the Persecution of Five Falun Gong Practitioners from Mentougou District, Beijing City

    Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Li Zhitong, 55 years old, lives in Junxiang Village, Zhaitang Town, Mentougou District. On April 11, 2005, he clarified the truth to Yang Hongying (gender unknown) from the local police substation and was abducted ten days later on April 21, 2005. His home was ransacked.

    Ms. Wang Huaijin, 47 years old, lives in Dongzhaitang Village, Zhaitang Town. She was reported to the police when clarifying the truth in Dujiazhuang Village, Qingshui Town, Mentougou District. She was abducted by district 610 Office agents and local policemen, and her home was ransacked. Ms. Wang is now detained in the Tuanhe Labor Camp.

    Mr. Jia Zhengli, 49 years old, is the husband of Ms. Wang Huaijin. On April 28, 2005, when Mr. Jia was working in the Damo Coal Mine in Qingshui Town, he was abducted by 610 Office personnel and local police after being betrayed by collaborators.

    Ms. Chen Chunmei, 48 years old, lives in Dongzhaitang Village, Zhaitang Town. On August 22, 2004 she was reported when clarifying the truth in Dujiazhuang Village, Qingshui Town, Mentougou District. District 610 Office personnel and local police followed Ms. Chen everywhere she went. She has been missing since then. Her home was ransacked, and her 90-year-old mother-in-law is at home with no one to care for her.

    Ms. Tan Shuyun is 55 years old. She was abducted in October 2004 when reading an electronic book on a bus. Her home was ransacked, and she is being held in the Tuanhe Labor Camp. Her husband, who is paralyzed, is at home alone and needs someone to care for him.

    2. Persecution Crimes of Nanzhao County Police Department and 610 Office in Henan Province

    Nanzhao County Police Department State Security agent Miao Xiaofeng (male) has arrested and tortured 17 to 18 Falun Gong practitioners since the persecution began on July 20, 1999. Some have been detained from several months to two years. Fourteen of the practitioners have been sentenced to forced labor or prison. Many have paid thousands of yuan in extortion fees. From the Chinese New Year (February 9) to the present, Miao Xiaofeng has ransacked Yunyang Second High School teacher Qiao Yanbe's home, Ms. Liu Xuelan's home on Yunyang Street, and the home of Donghuayuan School teacher Ms. Li Xiling.

    Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Yuan Wenbao is in his 50's. He was arrested when handing out truth-clarifying materials. His case have been reported on Wancheng District Police Department State Security Division of Nanyang City, Henan Province established a secret interrogation office in the Agricultural Hotel located in Back Street of Nanyang Silk Textile Factory. There, they illegally interrogated and tortured Falun Gong practitioners. One of the cruelest tortures used by the police is called the "piercing bar" (1). As a result of this torture Mr. Yuan Wenbao could no longer take care of himself. He could not walk, sleep, sit, or stand up because of the extreme pain.

    Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Li Zhen is in her 50's She was arrested at her home, and was beaten by police until her face was completely swollen and covered with bruises. She could not walk due to the severe beating. Ms. Li was sentenced to a prison term and sent to the Northwest Region.

    Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Jin Ying is in her 30's. She was arrested when passing out truth-clarifying materials. She endured numerous tortures and was unconscious for four entire days.

    Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Dong Jinduo, in his 50's, has been arrested multiple times and has been sentenced to forced labor. The last time Mr. Dong was arrested - by policeman Miao Xiaofeng in 2002 - he was sentenced to seven years in prison.

    3. The Persecution of Falun Gong Practitioners in the Second Ward of Shayang Labor Camp in Hubei Province

    The Second and Ninth Wards of Shayang Labor Camp are women's wards. The following are details of the persecution taking place in the Second Ward of that facility.

    Ms. Li Weilin was viciously punched and kicked, resulting in severe injuries to her lower back. She was still forced to carry buckets of feces, severely injuring her shoulder. She was also forced to stand for a very long time, causing her toes to turn a purplish black color.

    Ms. Huang Xingying is from Ezhou City, Hubei Province. She was beaten until her face was covered with bruises, and she was not allowed to use the toilet.

    Ms. Wu Xiaohua is in her 60's. She was tortured with long-term sleep deprivation and brutally beaten. Under such intense mental pressure, Ms. Wu wrote a Guarantee Statement against her will. Later, she wanted to declare her statement null and void, but she was taken away after midnight and tortured to the point that she was mentally unresponsive. Ms. Wu was tortured again with handcuffs and forced standing. She had been beaten multiple times, resulting in bruises over most of her body. Ms. Wu's face and head were severely swollen, and she had many open wounds on her body as well. The wounds around her elbow became badly infected.

    Ms. Zhu Yijiao is in her 50'. She was brutally tortured many times, and even threatened by prisoners that they would burn her with gasoline. Ms. Zhu wrote a Guarantee Statement against her will. She later declared her statement to be null and void and then was locked in solitary confinement, forced to do heavy labor, deprived of sleep, and had her eyelid badly scratched when she fell down in exhaustion. Ms. Zhu was kept incarcerated even after her term had ended.

    Ms. Dong Shijun is in her 40's. She never cooperated with the evil and was abducted and sent to the Shayang Labor Camp for brainwashing. She has been tortured with brutal beatings, force-fed unknown drugs, forced to stand for very periods of time, deprived of sleep and use of the toilet, and denied a shower even in the hottest summer. Ms. Dong was suffering from fever and swollen legs. The bottoms of both of her feet turned purple black in color. Her term was extended an additional two months.

    Ms. Dong Dengzhi is in her 50's. She was deprived of sleep for fourteen days. The prison guards encouraged other prisoners to drag her to the vegetable garden to torture her.

    Ms. Hong Yueying, in her 60's, is a Falun Gong practitioner from Lichuan City. She was forced to stand still for one entire week and was not allowed to use the toilet.

    Ms. Fan Changhua is in her 40's. She was kicked and punched in the abdomen, causing urinary incontinence.

    Ms. Chen Yanjiao is in her 60's. She was tortured with sleep deprivation for two months and forced to memorize the prison rules.

    Ms. Xu Jiang was forced to bend down for a long period of time, causing disability in her leg. She was forced to be a collaborator, but later awakened to the realization that what she was doing was wrong and she refused to cooperate with the evil any longer. Ms. Xu was then forced to do overtime heavy labor with her injured leg and was only allowed very little sleep.

    Ms. Chen Ji was tortured with sleep deprivation, forced to take unknown drugs, and forced to do overtime heavy labor.

    Primary methods of torture: 1) Prisoners encouraged to beat Falun Gong practitioners; practitioners are forced to stand still a long time, deprived of sleep or use of toilet, not allowed to shower, forced to memorize the prison rules, and so on. 2) Use of collaborators to attack practitioners, and to apply brainwashing and mental torture for an extended time. 3) For the most steadfast practitioners, the authorities only allow sleep after 2 a.m., force them to recite the prison rules, and force them to get up early every morning to clean. 4) Other abuses include brutal handcuffing, verbal abuse, forcing practitioners to stand still in the summer, forcing practitioners to do weeding, carry natural fertilizers in the extreme heat, and do heavy overtime labor.

    4. Wife and Sons Detained, Mother Dies of Broken Heart

    Mr. Kuang Shoukun is a Falun Gong practitioner from Qidong County, Hunan Province. At the end of 1999, Mr. Kuang's wife went to Beijing to appeal for justice for Falun Gong. She was arrested and detained for one month in the Qidong County Detention Center and was forced to pay 1,400 yuan in extortion fees to the County Government Chinese Communist Party (CCP) Political and Security Office. During this same time, their first son was detained for practicing Falun Gong and was sentenced to 18 months of forced labor. Their second son was under close surveillance also for practicing Falun Gong. In May and June of 2000, Mr. Kuang's wife was twice detained for practicing Falun Gong and was detained a third time at the end of 2000. Their first son finally returned home after serving an extended term in the labor camp in July 2001, but their second son was detained and sentenced to 18 months of forced labor a few days later. Mr. Kuang's mother could not take the stress of these constant blows to her mind and spirit, and she died on October 24, 2003, of a broken heart.

    5. Persecution Facts in Hebei Province

    Mr. Dong Hongwen was an employee of the Stick Material Factory of Chengde City Steel Inc. On April 19, 2005, the police ransacked his home and have detained him until now.

    Mr. Song Guangkuo is an employee of the Steel Factory of Chengde Steel Inc. On April 27, 2005, he was interrogated and tortured for ten hours after being abducted by Shuangqiao District State Security Division agent Du Jianpeng and others in Chengde City.

    Ms. Zhang Xianfang, 54 years old, is an employee of Chengde City Herb Company. In September 2000, she was abducted and sent to the Shuangqiao District State Security Division. She was detained one night and then released after paying three thousand yuan extortion. The authorities deducted a very large sum (4,875 yuan) from her salary. Ms. Zhang was arrested and sent to a brainwashing class in 2003. She went on a hunger strike to protest, and suffered a severe physical reaction on the sixth day. Ms. Zhang was sent to the Chengde City Central Hospital by the 120 Emergency Unit. When it was clear that she was dying, the police sent her to a relative's house.

    Mr. Wu Guoping is a Falun Gong practitioner from Zhuangtouying Village, Luanping Town, Hebei Province. On November 2, 2000, police ransacked his home and detained him for 13 days. He had to pay two thousand yuan extortion. His family had to pay an additional 4,500 yuan to have him released.


    (1). The "piercing bar" torture causes extreme pain. The hands are tightly cuffed, cutting deeply into the wrists. In less than a minute, victims feel such intense pain that they usually sweat profusely, soaking their clothes. The torture makes victims' internal organs shift positions, resulting in tremendous pain that can cause vomiting. Some even vomit blood. During the torture, if victims should faint, police will pour cold water on them to wake them up and then continue to apply the torture. The torture often lasts at least one day and sometimes even 6 to 7 days in a row! Victims will pass out many times during this brutal torture. During the torture, the victims are not allowed to eat or sleep. Usually, 10 minutes of such torture is the limit that an exceptionally strong man can endure. The torture usually disables the victim's arms and legs.

    The following drawing depicts the torture of the "piercing bar."

    Piercing bar: Victim's hands are tightly cuffed and feet are shackled. He is then forced to squat down and both arms embrace his knees. An iron bar is placed between the arms and slid behind the back of the knees. The police then lift the bar on which the victim is hung and suspend it between two desks. At this point, the victim is hanging upside down, with head facing the ceiling.


    Summary of Other Articles and News - June 30, 2005

    Persecution Facts about Practitioner Ms. Ren Shufen in Masanjia Labor Camp

    Ms. Ren Shufen is an elderly lady. She was abducted to Masanjia Labor Camp in June 2003. Prison guards tortured her both mentally and physically in order to force her to give up her practice of Falun Gong. She has been forced to stand three whole days without being allowed to sleep and then forced to squat, causing her legs and feet to become so swollen that she could not wear shoes. Her family was not allowed to visit her during this time. She was sent to the Senior Ward in September 2003, where she was again tortured by being forced to stand or squat for long periods of time. If she fell down because her legs became numb, she would be forced by four to five prisoners to squat and would not be allowed to stand up or move. She was only allowed to use the toilet twice a day. Once guards tied up her legs in the lotus position and would not allow her to put her legs down. Guards also froze her outside on the cold days in December, forcing her to stand outside for a half a day or forcing her to sit in the hallway without warm clothes. She has been beaten often in the camp.

    2. Practitioner Mr. Chen Anjun from Leshan City, Sichuan Province, Is Forced to Leave Home

    Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Chen Anjun from Leshan City, Sichuan Province, learned about the 610 Office plan to abduct him to a brainwashing class two weeks ago. He noticed many plainclothes officers along his route to take his daughter to and from school. Several unknown vehicles followed him when he went out with his friends and family on June 9. In order to avoid being arrested, he escaped, without telling his family, and has been living a destitute and homeless life since then.

    3. Persecution Crimes of Police from Niuxintai Substation in Benxi City, Liaoning Province

    On April 19, 2005, around 7:00 a.m., police from the Niuxintai Substation in Benxi City, Liaoning Province, including Zhu Yan (male), Wu Bin (male), and Li Yong (male) stormed into practitioner Ms. Wang Cuilan's home, stealing all her valuables and cash. They handcuffed Ms. Wang, who resisted them because she was innocent. The police beat and kicked her until she was covered with wounds. Police dragged her to the substation and suspended her from a metal beam. Because Ms. Wang's daughter, Song Xiuli, condemned the police brutality, she was also beaten by the police, dragged to the substation, and hung up. Ms. Wang's husband, in his 70s, is not a Falun Gong practitioner, but he was also beaten until he passed out. Police poured cold water over him to revive him. Ms. Wang Cuilan and her daughter were left hanging from the beam until 10 a.m. and then sent to Benxi City Detention Center. On May 19, 2005, Ms. Wang and her daughter were both sent to Masanjia Labor Camp. Ms. Wang was sent home due to her age and physical condition, but her daughter Sang Xiuli is still locked up in Masanjia Labor Camp.