Falun Dafa Minghui.org www.minghui.org PRINT

Older Man from Heilongjiang Province Dies Following Beating in Police Custody

August 23, 2008 |  

(Clearwisdom.net) On August 15, 2007, Clearwisdom.net published a report on Shan Zhenchang, a older man in his sixties, from Shuangyashan City, Heilongjiang Province, who was severely beaten by city policeman Du Zhanyi, and was in critical condition. The authorities didn't want to bear the responsibility for his impending death, so they released him. In June 2008, Mr. Shan died as a result of the severe beating.

On August 1, 2007, Mr. Shan Zhenchang distributed Falun Gong truth-clarification flyers in Beixiu Public Park of Shuangyashan City and was reported to the authorities. He was illegally arrested and taken to a detention center. The next day, Shuangyashan policemen Du Zhanyi and an officer surnamed Dong, who were specially assigned by the 610 Office, took Mr. Shan to the 610 Office inside the police station, where he was severely beaten.

Du Zhanyi questioned Mr. Shan, "Do you believe, as everybody is saying, that I am the one who beat Ji Songshan to death?" Mr. Shan replied, "I did not witness it." Du began hitting Mr. Shan's head, then viciously beat his legs, causing numerous injuries to his body. He then forced Mr. Shan to the ground and kicked him with great force, which resulted in critical injuries.

Mr. Shan said, "I am an old man and yet you still beat me severely. Considering that Ji Songshan was a young man, you were certainly capable of beating him to death." Upon hearing this, Du Zhanyi stopped beating Mr. Shan. That afternoon, Mr. Shan was transferred to the city detention center and detained for six days. On the sixth day, Du Zhanyi and Dong realized that Mr. Shan was in critical condition, and sent him to the People's Hospital.

The examining doctor found injuries to Mr. Shan's head, dangerously high blood pressure at levels over 200, injuries to his chest and blurred vision. However, the hospital authorities left Mr. Shan on the floor of the front entrance of the hospital. Du Zhanyi and Dong informed their superior officer that Mr. Shan was on the verge of death and asked to release him. They gave Mr. Shan 15 yuan and ordered him to take a taxi home.

Mr. Shan suffered tremendously, both physically and psychologically as a result of this abuse. He passed away in June 2008. His death provides additional evidence of the crimes committed by policeman Du Zhanyi.

Additional practitioners persecuted in Shuangyashan City:

Mr. Ji Songshan, 27, was arrested and detained on June 18, 2003, then tortured to death by the police department's 610 Office personnel immediately after his detention.

Mr. Pan Xingfu, a talented college student and steadfast practitioner, was sentenced to a prison term for browsing overseas websites about the truth of Falun Gong. He was tortured and died soon after.

Mr. Li Ruqing, a man in his sixties, benefited from practicing Falun Gong and began to clarify the truth in his hometown. He was reported to the authorities and subsequently arrested. After being detained in the Mudanjiang Prison for less than two months, he was beaten to death.

Ms. Deng Chunying, a 28-year-old beautician, was arrested by Du Zhanyi and other officers from the police department's 610 Office, who beat her so severely that she was disabled. Due to her injuries, she lost all feeling below her waist. Additionally, she was sentenced to eight years of imprisonment.