Falun Dafa Minghui.org www.minghui.org PRINT

Practitioner Ms. He Xiuling Was Tortured to Death in 2004; Her Husband Is Still Forbidden to See Her Body

February 27, 2006 |   By Xu Chengben, He Xiuling's husband

(Clearwisdom.net) My wife, He Xiuling, was a Falun Gong practitioner from Xingfushi Village, the Zhifu District, Yantai City of Shandong Province. She persisted in Falun Dafa cultivation and for that she was tortured to death on March 11, 2004. Those responsible were Communist regime agents from the 610 Office in the Yantai Police Department, personnel from the Zhifu District Detention Center, and staff in the Liuhuangding Hospital of Yantai Province. Her body remains in frozen storage in a Yantai City funeral home. As of today, the unjust detention and murder of He Xiuling has not been investigated by the authorities, nor have the guilty parties been brought to justice.

On February 9, 2006, around 8:30 in the morning, one of my relatives and I went to the funeral home and requested to see He Xiuling's body. Staff from the funeral home told us, "We have never heard of this person. You need to get a letter of approval from the detention center before we can proceed with your request." My relative and I hurried to the detention center. The guard refused to let us in. I explained the situation to him and presented a signed agreement between the detention center and me. The guard read through the agreement and told us that Zhang Futian [apparently the signatory on the document] was no longer with the detention center, that he had been transferred. I said, "I will talk to whoever is presently the responsible person here." The guard made a phone call. The reply from the staff in the office was that only the director of the detention center could handle this issue but he was not in. I had no choice but to go back home.

The signed agreement actually stated that we, as Xiuling's family members, were permitted to see her body at any time. The detention center, the police department, and other related departments were not to obstruct family members from seeing Xiuling's body. However, the Yantai City Police Department breached the agreement. We were and are forbidden from seeing our deceased loved one. At noon I phoned detention center warden Ding Xianfeng and explained the situation to him. He said he did not know of the existence of such an agreement. He asked me at what time I would like to see Xiuling. When I said, "In the afternoon," he said that he could not approve it, that he had to ask permission from above, and that he would give me a reply on Monday. Following are details of what happened to my wife that led to her death.

Agents from the Zhifu District Police Department 610 Office arrested my wife and took her to a brainwashing center. On September 1, 2003, after my wife, He Xiuling, suffered abuse and mistreatment in the Zhifu District Brainwashing Center, she was transferred to the Nanjiao Detention Center in Yantai City, where she was interrogated under torture. She was handcuffed behind her back onto a bed rail, forcing her to maintain an awkward position. She could not crouch down or stand up. She was deprived of sleep and was forbidden to use the bathroom for six days and nights. At five o'clock on March 10, 2004, Li Wenguang from the Zhifu District 610 Office in Yantai City informed me that He Xiuling was in Liuhuangding Hospital in Yantai City. I hurried to the hospital, only to find her handcuffed to a bed by one hand and her lower body completely naked. She was in a state of incoherence and could not speak. I stayed in the hospital for less than 20 minutes before a male jailor shouted at me and drove me out. On the morning of March 11, He Xiuling passed away as a result of torture.

I have contacted Li Wenguang, head of the 610 Office, and Nanjiao Detention Center warden Zhang Futian numerous times, trying to bring these evildoers to justice. These two officers completely denied their responsibility. After Xiuling's case was exposed to the outside world, I attempted to file a lawsuit with the local procuratorial offices and local court. None of them accepted the lawsuit. Later, agents from the 610 Office tried to hush this up by offering me a 100,000-yuan bribe as a remedy. I firmly refused!

We appeal to those organizations and individuals who uphold justice in international society and inside China to show concern for He Xiuling's case.

The following is the agreement between the detention center and me for the handling of He Xiuling's body after she passed away.

While He Xiuling's body is in cryogenic storage in the funeral home, her family members and relatives may see her body at any time. The police department, detention center and related departments must not obstruct her family members or relatives from seeing her, with any excuse;

Legal medical expert(s) must inform family members before he or she performs an autopsy. The expert conclusion would be invalid [if performing the autopsy] in the absence of family members.

Her body must not be cremated without approval from her family members.

Signed by: Zhang Futian (Signature),
I agree with the above stipulations.
Date: March 13, 2004

Ding Xiafeng, current warden of the Zhifu District Detention Center, Yantai City:
86-535-7923568 (Cell), 86-535-6015514 (Office)