Falun Dafa Minghui.org www.minghui.org PRINT

Falun Gong Practitioners Suffer Mental Trauma and Death As A Result of the Jiang Group's Abuse of Psychiatry

July 23, 2004 |  

(Clearwisdom.net) Clearwisdom correspondent Lin Zhanxiang reports: in July 2002, the World Psychiatric Association published a 300-page report detailing the Chinese government's abuse of psychiatry. It also stated that not only political dissidents but also Falun Gong practitioners are sent to mental hospitals. In August 2002, Human Rights Watch and the Geneva Psychiatric Treatment Committee jointly released a detailed report of psychiatric abuse in China. They indicated in the report that China's diagnosis of Falun Gong practitioners who are firm in their belief as "mentally ill" violates international standards of psychiatric analysis.

Over the past five years, psychiatric abuse has become one of the most commonly used tortures for Falun Gong practitioners. Following Jiang's secret order, "All deaths should be counted as suicides;" "Cremate Falun Gong practitioners' bodies without investigating their identities," the attending doctors and police officers took part in such psychiatric abuse against their conscience.

In many labor camps, or their affiliated hospitals and clinics, doctors and police officers, in violation of their professional oaths and ethics have injected or force-fed healthy Falun Gong practitioners with large-doses of drugs that damage their central nervous system, or they covertly put such drugs into the practitioners' food. They also send healthy practitioners to mental hospitals where the practitioners are forcibly given oral or injected drugs. As a result, some practitioners have suffered partial or complete paralysis, some have lost their eyesight and hearing, others have sustained muscle atrophy and organ deterioration; several have suffered partial or complete memory loss and brain damage; various practitioners suffered mental breakdowns and some died from severe drug reactions.

We need to point out in particular that these perpetrators are completely aware of the serious consequences of their actions. In order to avoid taking responsibility, they release some practitioners who are on the brink of death from these drugs or are severely disabled. After returning home, several of these practitioners died from organ failure, and a few committed self-destructive acts or did things to hurt other people as a result of the mental trauma they were subjected to while detained.

In early May 2004, China Mental Health Watch and the World Organization to Investigate the Persecution of Falun Gong investigated the Jiang group's psychiatric abuse of Falun Gong practitioners. The results show that in the past five years of persecution, psychiatric abuse of Falun Gong practitioners took place in 23 provinces, cities and autonomic regions. At least 100 provincial, city, county and district mental hospitals took part in this persecution. The persecution is planned, is systematic and permeates all levels of governments. So far, at least 1,000 healthy Falun Gong practitioners were injected with central nervous system damaging drugs and were tortured with ropes and electric batons. At least 15 practitioners were tortured to death.

Below are some cases reported on Clearwisdom Net from April to mid June 2004. For previous cases, please refer to the reference links at the end of this article.

Dafa Practitioner Ms. Zhang Fuzhen was Injected with a Toxic Drug and Died in Extreme Pain

Ms. Zhang Fuzhen, died at 38 years old. She was a Falun Gong practitioner from Pingdu City, Shandong Province. She worked for Xianhe Park. In November 2000 she went to Beijing to clarify the truth and police arrested her. On her way to be taken back to Pingdu City, she jumped from the car and was injured. She was sent to Pingdu City People's Hospital and was found not to be severely injured. During the time she was receiving treatment in the hospital she was clear-minded and sat up to do Dafa exercises. The police pinned her down and tied her to the bed. They stripped off all of her clothes, shaved her head and otherwise humiliated her. They tied her with her limbs spread out so she was forced to relieve herself in the bed. Later, the police injected her with an unknown drug, after which she felt unbearable pain. She struggled as if she were being driven out of her mind and died in agonizing pain. The officials from the "610 Office'" (1) witnessed the whole course of Ms. Zhang's death.

Practitioner Ju Yajun Killed by Force-feeding and Injection in Heilongjiang Province

Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Ju Yajun was a farmer in Yuquan Town, Acheng City, Heilongjiang Province. A very kind person, Mr. Yu was physically fit and a well-known, good person in Shibali Village. Because he believed in Truthfulness ┬ĘC Compassion - Tolerance, he was arrested and sent to the Changlinzi Labor Camp. He held a hunger strike to protest the persecution. Around the afternoon of October 21, 2001, he was taken to a clinic where he was brutally force-fed and injected with unknown drug(s). Ju Yajun went into a semi-comatose state, but the guards still savagely force-fed him twice a day. As a result, Ju Yajun's neck suddenly became rigid while he was in a semi-comatose state. He was unable to recognize anybody, but kept saying, "injection, injection." On October 24, 2001, fearing that Ju Yajun would die in the camp, the guards sent him home. Ju Yajun's family sent him immediately to the Acheng City Hospital and then to the Harbin City Medical College Hospital for emergency treatment. The treatment efforts failed, and Mr. Ju Yajun died at 4:18 a.m. on October 26, 2001. He was only 33 years old and left behind his father who is in his 70s and his young child.

How Dafa Practitioner Shi Yueqin from Hainan Province Was Grossly Abused and Died As a Result of Persecution

Ms. Shi Yueqin, about 30 years old, lived in Wenchang City, Hainan Province and was an employee at the Hainan Food Supplies Department. Ms. Shi went to the provincial government many times to appeal for Falun Gong. She was illegally detained. The police searched her home several times. They also took Shi Yueqin to a police station and interrogated her around the clock for three days and nights. She was punched and kicked, beaten with metal rods and hung up by one hand. Police subjected her to all kinds of torture methods. Although her body was covered with bruises, she still said, "Falun Dafa is great!" Police later sent her to the Xiuying No. 1 Detention Center. She was not released until New Year's Day 2000. Not long after she was released, she went to Beijing to appeal for Dafa. She was arrested and detained for several months. Later, she again went to Beijing's Tiananmen Square to appeal. She was arrested again and detained for a while before she was eventually sent to the Hainan Women's Forced Labour Camp where she was tortured inhumanely. Later, the guards sent her to the Anning Hospital, Hainan Province's psychiatric hospital. The doctors there treated her as a mental patient. After "treatment" lasting over a month, the hospital eventually decided to call the labor camp and told them to take Ms. Shi back and pay the bills. The labor camp didn't send anyone to bring her back. Instead, they told the staff at the Anning Hospital to call Ms. Shi's sister to pick her up. Her sister had to pay 3,800 Yuan for medical costs. She was injected with a large dose of drugs that damage the central nervous system at the Hainan Mental Hospital, and after she returned home, she behaved strangely. Tragically, on March 6, 2003, she jumped out of a building and died.

Wang Dongmei, a Teacher from Hengshui City, Hebei Province Tortured to the Point of Becoming Mentally Traumatized from Psychotropic Drugs -- Dies Shortly After Release

Ms. Wang Dongmei, in her 30's, was a schoolteacher in a town in Wuyi County, Hengshui City, Hebei Province. In 2001, after she was forced to attend a local brainwashing class, she was sent to Division Five of Shijiazhuang Forced Labor Camp. In the labor camp, she suffered all kinds of physical and mental abuse, including rope torture, electric shock torture, sleep deprivation, and long periods of isolation. The police used all kinds of cruel means but, unable to make her betray her belief, they transferred her to a mental hospital to attempt to break her will and torture her with improperly administered Psychotropic drugs.

She was later taken home to serve her sentence there. People immediately noticed that her mental state was poor. Her movements were slow, her speech was slurred and her reactions were dull. Her memory was gone. When people asked why she had been sent to the mental hospital, she slowly replied that she knew nothing. When asked what she was doing in the hospital, she replied slowly, "Take medicine and get shots." When asked if she was forced to take medicine and injections, she said, "Yes."

Her arms still had the dark purple marks left by the rope torture. Wang Dongmei became mentally unbalanced due to forced drugs. She fell into a pond and, unable to save herself, drowned on March 12, 2004.

The Facts about Ms. Zhou Manxiu's Alleged Assault

Around 6:30 P.M. on May 15, 2004, the Huaihua TV Station evening news program in Hunan Province reported an assault by a local woman, Ms. Zhou Manxiu. The report failed to mention that the woman had suffered a mental breakdown as a result of being tortured by police in a forced labor camp for nearly five years before the assault. Instead, it reported the assault as a "homicide" committed by a Falun Gong practitioner. The false information on the TV caused the viewing audience to misunderstand and even hate and fear Falun Gong practitioners. The following are the actual facts omitted by the news report:

Ms. Zhou Manxiu was about 45 years of age. She was a local resident in Jielong Township, Zhongfang County, Huaihua City, Hunan Province. Ms. Zhou started to cultivate in Falun Dafa in February 1999, and the practice made a tremendous improvement in her physical and spiritual health. Although she was poverty-stricken, she was very generous in helping others in need. In September 2000, a misguided individual reported her to the Huaihua police while she was clarifying the truth about Falun Dafa to local residents in Chenxi County. The Huaihua police abducted and detained her for two months. Ms. Zhou was sentenced to forced labor in November 2001. Ms. Zhou ended up being incarcerated in the Baimalong Forced Labor Camp where she was subjected to all types of brutal torture including shocking her head with high-voltage stun batons, being locked in a small metal cage and being hung up by handcuffs. The labor camp authorities also forcibly injected her with drugs. After nearly two years of suffering from all of the aforementioned tortures and forced drug injections, Ms. Zhou suffered a mental collapse.

According to insiders, one day in April 2003 when the inmates in her cell were not watching, Ms. Zhou Manxiu tied a long piece of cloth to the upper rail of a bunk bed, made a loop and tried to hang herself. Someone saw her and stopped her attempted suicide. Later she often stared blankly out in space and kept asking everyone, "Do you believe your mommy or your daddy?" She often stayed up at night, staring blankly at the window. The disciplinary staff member, Ms. Tan of the 7th Division, declared to everyone, "Zhou Manxiu has accepted our reeducation and given up her cultivation in Falun Dafa altogether." The truth is that the cruel tortures and nervous system damaging drugs had caused her to become mentally disoriented. That was the true reason why she was released on April 17, 2004. After returning home, her mental state never improved. Her husband had openly declared, "My wife was not like this at all before they locked her up in the forced labor camp." In fact, Ms. Zhou's mental state deteriorated right before the alleged assault happened. On May 15, 2004, mentally disoriented, Zhou Manxiu took a knife and wounded a female neighbor.


So far we have confirmed that the following Falun Gong practitioners at the Baimalong Forced Labor Camp have been subjected to forced injections of the drug Thorazine which damages the central nervous system if used indiscriminately: Ms. Yu Yingzhu, Ms. Yang Youyuan, Ms. Xia Ting, Ms. Chen Chujun, and Ms. Liu Liumei, a young seamstress from Chenxi County, Huaihua.

Dafa Practitioner Ms. Su Juzhen from Liaoning Province, Severely Tortured, Suffers a Mental Breakdown

Dafa practitioner Ms. Su Juzhen, in her 40s, lived in Gucheng, Qiansuo Town, Suizhong County, Huludao City, Liaoning Province. She owned a beauty salon. Ms. Su had previously suffered from severe heart disease, stomach disease, tapeworm infection, pancreatic infection, and her legs were often swollen. Su Juzhen began practicing Dafa in 1996, and soon all of her illnesses disappeared and her skin became smooth and glowing. Before the persecution began, Su Juzhen was well known for her selflessness and kindness. She was several times awarded the distinction "Outstanding Self-employed Businessperson." Additionally, Ms. Su often provided financial assistance to poor students. Su Juzhen frequently visited elderly people in nursing homes, bringing them daily necessities and food. She also donated money to fix the Xihe Bridge. Her family was awarded one of the "Ten Outstanding Families in Huludao City."

In July 1999, after Jiang's group began persecuting Falun Gong, Su Juzhen went to Beijing to appeal on behalf of Falun Gong, but was intercepted and escorted back. In August 1999, Su Juzhen went to Beijing again to appeal and was once more arrested and sent to the Suizhong Detention Center. The police confiscated 2,000Yuan cash from her. On October 31, 1999, Su Juzhen was seized by the authorities and sent to the Masanjia Forced Labor Camp. She was later transferred to the Zhangshi Labor Camp, a youth correction facility; then transferred again to the Longshan Forced Labor Camp, Shenxin Labor Camp, to the Dabei Prison and other places for persecution. Guard Qiu Ping and others took Su Juzhen to the psychiatric department of a hospital in Shenyang City. The hospital prescribed several bottles of some unknown drug for treating mental illnesses and made Su Juzhen's family pay for them. They assigned someone to force Su Juzhen to take the drug every day. Soon, Su Juzhen had a nervous breakdown.

During the 2002 Chinese New Year, Su Juzhen's family received a notice from the labor camp, requesting them to pay 1,500 Yuan to cover "medical expenses" before they could take Su Juzhen home. Four or five people helped her out of the labor camp. Her limbs were slack; her eyes unfocused and non-blinking and she had a blank expression on her face. She could not eat until 22 days after she returned home. Her family later discovered unhealed wounds around her genitals and there were needle punctures on her body.

Su Juzhen is still not able to speak or think normally. Her husband, who is also physically weak, sits home with her all day. Both of them require care from others. Her younger daughter is below working age and the whole extended family relies on income from a small shop owned by their older daughter. Su Juzhen's father lost the sight in both eyes due to extreme grief over his daughter's condition and her mother passes each day in a depressed state of mind. Even under such miserable circumstances, corrupt government officials and police officers from Suizhong still harass Su Juzhen's family. In October 2002, the police forcibly dragged Su Juzhen's older daughter from her bed, and her family cried while Su Juzhen stood watching but showing no reaction or any expression on her face.

Outstanding College Instructor and Dafa Practitioner Ms. Wu Xiaohua Injected with Drugs

Wu Xiaohuan, an instructor at Anhui Province's Architectural College and an outstanding college instructor was beaten and verbally abused, handcuffed, force-fed, and detained in solitary confinement. The perpetrators stuffed her mouth with a rag used to clean the toilet and a dirty sanitary napkin. She was forced to take psychotropic drugs, endure injections and electro-shock therapy, which caused her indescribable pain. After being medicated against her will and injected with powerful drugs, she became sleepy all day, lost her ability to make decisions, became restless, suffered headaches, had serious vomiting, irregular menstrual periods and memory lapses. Her memory deteriorated further; her vision periodically got poor. She could not see people clearly close-up, had hearing loss, suffered from weakness and sometimes fainted three or four times a day.

Practitioner Li Jijuan Suffer Tortures

Dafa practitioner Ms. Li Jijuan is an official of the Education Department for the Yingquan District in Fuyang City. She was in poor health ever since childhood. After she gave birth her condition declined. She couldn't relieve herself for days at a time; she had heart palpitations with every few steps she took; and she breathed rapidly and suffered from anxiety and insomnia. The medical treatment she sought didn't help her, but she became healthy after she began practicing Dafa. She said to everyone, "You should practice Falun Dafa! Falun Dafa is good!" Nevertheless, she was persecuted for speaking the truth. The perpetrators sent her to a mental hospital where she was injected with drugs. As a result, she vomited continuously and her protein level shot up drastically. She was unable to react normally and couldn't sleep. Her mind is blurry and she suffers from severe panic attacks.

For several cases reported before April 2004, please refer to the following links:

Worldwide Attention Focused on Psychiatric Abuse of Falun Gong Practitioners in China, Part 1 (Photos)


Worldwide Attention Focused on Psychiatric Abuse of Falun Gong Practitioners in China, Part 2 (Photos)


Worldwide Attention Focused on Psychiatric Abuse of Falun Gong Practitioners in China, Part 3



  1. The "610 Office" is an agency specifically established to persecute Falun Gong, with absolute power over each level of administration in the Party and all other political and judiciary systems.