Latest News from China - April 9, 2004
- [Henan Province] Nanyang No. 2 Detention Center Illegally Detains Practitioner for Three Years
- [Cangzhou City, Hebei Province] Practitioner Wu Baohua Bedridden Due to Severe Torture in a Detention Center
- [Yunfu City, Guangdong Province] Many Practitioners Arrested
- [Huludao, Liaoning Province] Yang Hong and Other Practitioners on Hunger Strike to Protest Detention
- [Shenyang, Liaoning Province] Practitioner Li Xiupei on Hunger Strike at Sujiatun No.1 Detention Center
- [Changchun City, Jilin Province] Five Practitioners on Hunger Strike at a Brainwashing Center
- [Jilin City, Jilin Province] Practitioner Wang Zishan Arrested at Home by Police
- [Jilin City, Jilin Province] Practitioner Li Weijing Arrested by Jilin City Police Department, Changyi Branch
- [Hubei Province] Xiaogan City Police Arrest Two Practitioners
- [Linghai City, Liaoning Province] Practitioner Zhang Shaozhen Sentenced to Three Years of Forced Labor
- [Hulin City, Heilongjiang Province] Practitioners Ma Rongqing and Ren Aixiang Arrested for Distributing Truth-clarifying Materials
- [Pingdu City, Shandong Province] Police Search Home of 70-year-old Practitioner
- [Chongqing, Sichuan Province] Practitioner Xia Jiesheng Taken to the Brainwashing Center in Chongqing City
- [Liaoyang, Liaoning Province] Several Practitioners Persecuted in Huazi Prison in Dengta City
- [Hu Lin City, Heilongjiang Province] Practitioners Guo Xiuyan and Qu Feng Persecuted for Distributing Truth-clarifying Materials
1. [Henan Province] Nanyang No. 2 Detention Center Illegally Detains Practitioner for Three Years
A male practitioner in his 30's visited Hanye Village in late June of 2001. He was arrested by a group of police headed by Wang Tengyou in Nanyang City. He was then detained in Cell No. 7 in Nanyang No. 2 Detention Center. He refused to tell the police his name and home address. He has been illegally detained for nearly three years. This is a severe violation of constitution and law.
2. [Cangzhou City, Hebei Province] Practitioner Wu Baohua Bedridden Due to Severe Torture in a Detention Center
Practitioner Wu Baohua is an employee of the Cangzhou City Qing County Procuratorate. In February of 2004, the police from "610 Office" (1) in Cangzhou arrested him. The police found in Wu Baohua's computer records that he viewed the Minghui/Clearwisdom website and downloaded materials. They found printed truth-clarification materials in his cabinet drawer.
Wu Baohua has now been detained in Qing County Detention Center for a month and was severely tortured. He is now bedridden and is unable to take care of himself.
Currently also detained in Qing County Detention Center is practitioner Li Weimin. Li's father is not a practitioner, but was also detained and released after 15 days detention. Li Weimin's mother-in-law was detained for a week and successfully escaped using her righteous thoughts.
Selected police departments and individuals:
Che Li of the Political Security Squad of Cangzhou City Police Department in Hebei Province;
Police Department Yunhe District Branch in Cangzhou City, Hebei Province:
Deputy Commander of the Police Department, Jiang Shouguo,
Chief, Liu Kanhua 86-13930711999 (Cell Phone)
Deputy Chief, Chen Deliang
Judge of Yunhe District Court, Xu Zhaohe
Judge of Xinhua District Court, Yang Jianguang, 86-317-3033873(Home), 86-1393272286(Cell Phone)
3. [Yunfu City, Guangdong Province] Many Practitioners Arrested
Many practitioners from Yunfu City were arrested. At around 9 o'clock on the evening of April 7, 2004, police went to the home of Ms. Lin Jinghong, Ms. Chen Jiequn, and Mr. Xu Shuhua. Lin Jinghong, Chen Jiequng and her husband were arrested. Xu Shuhua did not open the door for the police. The police tried to break the door for a long time. Then they stopped and stayed at his doorway till 5 o'clock on the afternoon of April 8, 2004. They started to break the door again and broke into Xu Shuhua's home to arrest him.
The responsible people:
"610 Office" of Yunfu City
Zuo Qiang: 86-766-8988158 (Office), 86-766-8830448 (Home), 86-13922650318 (Cell Phone)
Zhang Xinghua: 86-766-8988160 (Office), 86-766-8820205 (Home), 86-13927113088 (Cell Phone)
4. [Huludao, Liaoning Province] Yang Hong and Other Practitioners on Hunger Strike to Protest Detention
At the crack of dawn on April 2, 2004, the police broke into practitioner Yang Hong's home, arrested him and his daughter and took them to the detention center. As of today, Yang Hong has been on a hunger strike for six days.
As stated by some sources, other arrested practitioners from Huludao are also detained at Huludao Detention Center. Recently, Wang Ruiqi was arrested in Beining City. He is now on a hunger strike.
Telephone numbers of those responsible for the arrest and detentions:
Huludao Detention Center: 86-429-3960813, 3960820
Zhang Junsheng, Chief of Security Squad in Lianshan District: 86-429-2160442 (Office), 86-429-3128366 (Home), 86-13704291651 (Cell Phone)
Yu Guiqiu, Instructor: 86-429-2160442 (Office), 86-429-2125982 (Home), 86-13904290368 (Cell Phone)
Liu Shijun, Deputy Chief: 86-429-2160442 (Office), 86-429-2130156 (Home), 86-13998965500 (Cell Phone)
5. [Shenyang, Liaoning Province] Practitioner Li Xiupei on Hunger Strike at Sujiatun No.1 Detention Center
Ms. Li Xiupei is a practitioner from Tiexi District of Shenyang City. She is 40 years old. She started practicing Falun Gong in 2000. In December 2003, she went to clarify the truth of Falun Gong to her daughter's teacher and the school principal. The principal of the Tiexi District Xunwang Primary School reported her to the "610 Office" in Tiexi District. On March 26, 2004, under the direction of "610 Office," two policemen from Xingqi Police Station of Tiexi District went to search Li Xiupei's home. They confiscated Falun Gong books and truth-clarifying materials. They arrested Li Xiupei. On the way to the police station, Li called out loud, "Falun Dafa is Good!"
Li Xiupei is now detained in Sujiatun No.1 Detention Center. She has been on a hunger strike to protest the persecution. Her ten-year-old child is at home unattended.
6. [Changchun City, Jilin Province] Five Practitioners on Hunger Strike at a Brainwashing Center
To protest against the illegal detention and attempts to change the belief of practitioners at the Changchun Brainwashing Center, five practitioners who are detained in "Legal Education Class" (brainwashing center) in Ling'gongli went on a hunger strike in the middle of March of 2004. The police and staff in the brainwashing center felt helpless, faced with the steadfastness and righteous thoughts of Falun Dafa practitioners. The related administration office has held meetings to address this matter, but they failed to find a solution.
7. [Jilin City, Jilin Province] Practitioner Wang Zishan Arrested at Home by Police
In March of 2004, Practitioner Wang Zishan from Jiangmifeng of Jinlin City was arrested at home by Dehui City Police Department for no reason. He is now detained at Dehui City Detention Center. It is not known if she suffers any torture at the detention center. His family has urged the police to release him, yet they are being completely ignored.
8. [Jilin City, Jilin Province] Practitioner Li Weijing Arrested by Jilin City Police Department Changyi Branch
On April 5, 2004, Ms Li Weijing was explaining the truth of Falun Gong and distributing truth-clarifying VCDs when she was reported to the police and arrested by police from the Hewanzi Police Station in Changyi District, Jinlin City.
Li Weijing had not practiced Falun Gong before 2000. In the summer of 2000, she was detained at Jilin City No. 1 Detention Center, where she met many Falun Gong practitioners. She was especially moved by the noble behavior of practitioner Yu Lixin, who was tortured to death in the female section of Jilin Prison. Yu Lixin was able to impart the truth of Falun Gong to Li Weijing, thus she began to practice in jail.
Li Weijing realized after her release from prison that many people were deceived by the lies of Jiang's regime. Therefore, she began to clarify the truth of Falun Gong to people she met, with the compassion and tolerance of a Falun Dafa practitioner. She was not concerned about her own safety. She even clarified the truth to the police in the police station. She told them her own experience. She told them how Falun Gong changed her from a criminal to a good person. She also talked about how the practice gave her mental and physical health, and how it improved her moral values.
Address of Jilin Police Department Changyi Branch: East Jiangfang Road, Jilin City, Jilin Province, China, Zip Code: 132041
Telephone number of the police dispatching office of Changyi District Police Branch: 86-432-2485162
Hewanzi Police Station: 86-432-4048436
9. [Hubei Province] Xiaogan City Police Arrest Two Practitioners
On April 2004, the Xiaogan City Police Department secretly arrested two practitioners, Ms. Chu Ling and Ms. Weijun. Because of the persecution, Chu Ling's place of work refused to pay her. She was forced to become homeless, traveling from place to place for a long time. The police watched her home for over two months, so they could arrest her. On April 6, 2004, after she returned home, Wei Jun visited her to bring her some money. The police arrested both of them. They also broke into Wei Jun's home and confiscated Falun Gong books and articles authored by Mr. Li Hongzhi, the founder of Falun Gong. Wei Jun's family has experienced great pressure by police and suffering since that time.
Chu Ling and Wei Jun have been arrested many times for practicing Falun Gong. Their families were fined excessively many times.
Telephone of Xiaogan City Police Department: 86-712-2822173
10. [Linghai City, Liaoning Province] Practitioner Zhang Shaozhen Sentenced to Three Years of Forced Labor
At around two o'clock on the afternoon of April 2, 2004, State Security Squad and Police Branch in Linghai City of Liaoning Province arrested practitioner Yan Suqing at home and used torture during the interrogation.
At 8 o'clock that night, Li Hongxiang, Chief of State Security Squad of Linghai City, sent Chen Haisen, Deputy Chief of the Police Department and Jin Tiequan, Deputy Chief of criminal cases, to arrest Zheng Shaozhen at home. The police attempted to force Zheng Shaozhen into giving her signature, using the two children and her aged mother as hostages, but Zheng refused. The three policemen then forced her to be fingerprinted and sentenced her to three years in a forced labor camp.
Zheng Shaozhen was transferred to Linghai Detention Center on April 5, 2004. She has been on a hunger strike since April 2.
11. [Hulin City, Heilongjiang Province] Practitioners Ma Rongqing and Ren Aixiang Arrested for Distributing Truth-clarifying Materials
At 9 o'clock on the evening of April 2, 2004, the local police took away practitioners Ma Rongqing and Ren Aixiang from Hulin City, Heilongjiang Province for distributing truth-clarifying material.
12. [Pingdu City, Shandong Province] Police Search Home of 70-year-old Practitioner
At around 4 o'clock on the afternoon of March 31, 2004, four policemen from Chengguan Police Station of Pingdu City drove to practitioner Dai Yongxin's home. Both Dai and his wife are in their 70's. Two of the policemen guarded the door while the other two broke into the house and took 2 copies of Zhan Falun and a pile of truth-clarifying materials.
13. [Chongqing, Sichuan Province] Practitioner Xia Jiesheng Taken to the Brainwashing Center in Chongqing City
Ms. Xia Jiesheng is 53 years old. She lived at 91 Dashiba in Danzishi Xinxing Village. In 1999, She went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong, but was stopped at the railway station and detained. On September 28, 2000, she was arrested at home for distributing truth-clarifying materials. She received a one-year labor camp sentence.
At around 10 o'clock on April 7, 2004, when Ms. Xia was at work in a factory in Luojiaba in Nan'an District, a group of police went to the factory and arrested her, without giving any reason and without evidence of any crime. It was reported that she was taken to the brainwashing center of Chongqing City.
14. [Liaoyang, Liaoning Province] Several Practitioners Persecuted in Huazi Prison in Dengta City
Practitioners detained in the Huazi Prison of Dengta City in Liaoyang, Bai Heguo (or Bai Quanguo, exact spelling of name is not known), Liu Shiwei, Zeng Xianzhi, and Cao Yang, are being severely persecuted for refusing to renounce Falun Gong. Cao Yang's mother was sentenced to labor camp for bringing him the articles authored by Mr. Li Hongzhi, founder of Falun Gong.
Telephone of Policeman Li Chengxin: 86-419-8540053
15. [Hu Lin City, Heilongjiang Province] Practitioners Guo Xiuyan and Qu Feng Are Persecuted for Distributing Truth-clarifying Material
Ms. Guo Xiuyan and Qu Feng from Heilongjiang Province went to Dongxing Village in Baodong County of Hulin City to distribute truth-clarifying material. They were reported to the police, arrested and taken by the Baodong Police Station to the Hulin Detention Center. Qu Feng was sentenced to two years in a labor camp. Guo Xiuyan was bailed out due to her poor health. During that time, the police and public security personnel kept harassing Guo Xiuyan, attempting to force her into writing letters renouncing Falun Dafa. They threatened to return her to the detention center if she didn't write the letters. Under such circumstances, Guo had to become homeless and travel about to avoid further persecution. She was arrested sometime later in Jixi and is now detained in Jixi Detention Center.
(1) The "610 Office" is an agency specifically established to persecute Falun Gong, with absolute power over each level of administration in the Party and all other political and judiciary systems.
Written on April 8, 2004