Falun Dafa Minghui.org www.minghui.org PRINT

Teacher Mr. Liu Jie Dies as Result of Persecution - Fuyang City, Anhui Province

April 04, 2004 |  


Liu Jie, a 35 year-old Falun Gong practitioner, was a teacher at the Datian Middle School in Xihu County, Fuyang City, Anhui Province. In October 2003, after being detained for over one year, he was taken to the hospital where he became comatose. The "610 Office" (1) and the detention center of Fuyang City were callous regarding Liu Jie's condition. To avoid implication, they stationed plainclothes police outside the hospital and monitored all movements. After five months of suffering, Liu Jie passed away in March 2004.

Liu Jie was a down-to-earth, kind and honest person. He taught classes with great enthusiasm and assumed all responsibilities without complaints. Both his co-workers and his students admired him. Yet, under Jiang regime's suppression of Falun Dafa and its practitioners, Liu Jie was inhumanly persecuted.


On the afternoon of February 2, 2002, Xiao Mingcai and He Qin of the "610 Office" of Yingzhou Public Security sub-bureau in Fuyang arrested Liu Jie and took him to the Village Committee for interrogation. They couldn't get any response from Liu, so they searched Liu Jie's house for anything to incriminate him. Yet, they only found one fruit cutting knife and some VCDs for kids. After 9 o'clock that night, they took Liu Jie to the basement of the local Public Security Bureau for further interrogation. After interrogating him for three days, they sent him to a detention center for 15 days. They then sent him to the Fuyang City Detention Center for one year and eight months. During this period, both Xiao Mingcai and He Qin coerced Liu Jie's family members many times into giving them money. Liu's family paid, at a great financial burden, about twenty thousand yuan (2).

In August 2003, the Fuyang "610 Office" instructed the Yingzhou Court in Fuyang to sentence Liu Jie and nine other practitioners, who had been detained for quite some time, to between three to seven years prison terms. This was done in total secrecy. (See the article from the Minghui website on 11/11/2003: Ten Dafa Practitioners Face an Illegally Trial with Righteousness in Anhui Province. English version is available at http://www.clearwisdom.net/emh/articles/2003/11/11/42152.html).

On October 11, 2003, at around three in the afternoon, Liu Jie's younger brother received an unexpected phone call from the director of the detention center. He informed the younger brother that Liu Jie was in critical condition at the Second People Hospital. Liu Jie's younger brother rushed to the hospital. His brother was lying in bed, completely paralyzed and unable to speak. There was saliva dripping out of his mouth. It was heart breaking for Liu's brother to see Liu, who was healthy and strong before being detained. Liu had become an invalid after one year and eight months of detention.

On the morning of November 12, Liu' brother was asked to write a "guarantee statement." (3) He refused and was told that he would have to suffer the consequences. On the third day, the detention center and the Intermediate People Court in Fuyang City, Anhui Province delivered a "statement of temporary release from prison" (but the original sentence remained) for Liu Jie's brother to sign. He refused to sign it. The sender threw the statement on Liu Jie's bed and left. From that day on, no one came to deal with Liu Jie. Liu Jie's families went to the detention center, asking to speak to the director but were refused. They called the detention center many times, but as soon as the other party learned the calls were about Liu Jie, the phone would be disconnected immediately.

Liu Jie remained in a comatose condition in his hospital bed for more than twenty days before he died. All this time, his family members shouldered all responsibilities for his care. The Fangyang City's "610 Office", Yingzhou Public Security Bureau and the Fangyang City Detention Center, must bear responsibility for what had happened to Liu. And yet they didn't have to pay for what they had done to Liu. Liu Jie's family had to pay over 40,000 yuan for his treatment.

The "610 Office" and the Public Security Bureau stationed plainclothes police outside the hospital door to watch who visited Liu Jie. They wanted to capture more Dafa practitioners.

In early March 2004, Liu Jie passed away after five months of unbearable suffering. He left a three year old son and his family.

People responsible for Liu Jie's death:

Qi Chenggang, Fuyang City Political and Judiciary Committee Vice Secretary, in charge of the local "610 Office," 86-558-2230018 (H)

Chen Leiying, Provincial Political and Judiciary Committee Vice Secretary, in charge of persecuting Falun Gong practitioners, 86-558-2250026(H).

(1) "610 Office": an agency specifically created to persecute Falun Gong, with absolute power over each level of administration in the Party and all other political and judiciary systems.

(2) yuan: Chinese currency, 500 yuan is the average monthly income for an urban worker in China.

(3) "guarantee statement: A statement declaring that one is remorseful for practicing Falun Gong and guaranteeing that one will not to practice Falun Gong again, nor go to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong, and never again associate with any Falun Dafa practitioners.