Falun Dafa Minghui.org www.minghui.org PRINT

Persecution by Male Brigade Police Officers of the Forced Labor Camp in Jiamusi City, Heilongjiang Province

April 25, 2004 |  


Since July 20 of 1999, the Forced Labor Camp of Jiamusi City has detained and persecuted over 220 male Falun Gong practitioners. These practitioners came from all the counties of Jiamusi City. We list here some crimes that the policemen have committed against practitioners.

1. In early 2004, Mr. Dai Zhong from Fuyuan County was illegally detained and tortured by the Forced Labor Camp of Jiamusi City. Mr. Dai went on a hunger strike to resist the persecution and to ask for his unconditional release. Camp Doctor Liu force-fed Mr. Dai cruelly and threatened him, "I will torture you until you are on the edge of death, then release you to let you die outside." He also handcuffed Mr. Dai to his bed. Mr. Dai had been tortured to the point of being so skinny that the prison doctor couldn't give an injection. Because he couldn't give an injection, Dr. Liu sprayed the liquid medicine on Mr. Dai's face to humiliate him. Police guard Ge Hongbo lifted him up by his shoulder and threw him down repeatedly to torture him. He also forced the criminal inmates who knew nothing about medicine to inject medicine for him. The day before the Spring Festival, they released Mr. Dai, who was almost dead at that time. No one knows whether he is currently alive or dead.

2. In the spring of 2004, policeman Yang Chunming tortured practitioner Hou Zhiqiang with the so-called "Tiger Bench" (1). He also directed criminal inmate Men Hongshan to torture and threaten Mr. Hou.

3. Mr. Zhang Changming was a worker of the new mine division of Qitaihe Mine Company. He was detained at the Forced Labor Camp of Jiamusi City because he refused to give up his belief in Falun Dafa. Mr. Zhang was sentenced to a two-year term of forced labor. But when his term expired, the forced labor camp refused to release him and continued to torture him. After the Spring Festival of 2003, the police guards shut him in a small, cold cell and tortured him with the tiger bench. Because he was tortured for so long on the tiger bench and was forbidden to use the bathroom, he became incontinent. Even so, when the policemen sent food to him, they threw the food on the floor to force him to pick it up to eat to insult him.

Policeman Yang Jiantao, the supervisor of the brainwashing brigade, abetted criminal inmate Liang Jingui to drag Mr. Zhang Changming to the small cell. (2) Liang Jingui did that so hard that he broke his shoes. Yang Jiantao abetted another criminal inmate, Du Hongjun, who was an employee of the Chemistry Pharmacy Factory, to torture Mr. Zhang in a more cruel way. Du Hongjun punched holes into Mr. Zhang's palms with iron nails. He stabbed over 50 holes in Mr. Zhang's palms. The police guards also encouraged criminal inmate Zhang Changhai to beat Mr. Zhang's head with the bed board. The tortures conducted by the policemen and the criminals caused great damage to Mr. Zhang, causing him to vomit blood and eventually led to his death.

The forced labor camp sent 55,000 yuan (3) to Mr. Zhang's family to prevent his family members from insisting on an investigation. The police guards and other main responsible persons are still at large.

4. In the fall of 2002, the Forced Labor Camp of Jiamusi City held a brainwashing session. Practitioner Hui Yuexin from Tangyuan County and practitioner Shao Dianyin from Fuyuan County were both kidnapped in this session. The police guard Zhang Zhenhua handcuffed Mr. Hui Yuexin to a chair and punched him in the head over 100 times. The police guard ordered 16-year-old criminal inmate Wang Qiang to guard the practitioners after beating them. When Wang Qiang saw those practitioners' tragic situation, he was so frightened that he broke down in tears and ran away still crying. Liu Hongguang, who was a brigade director, instigated the police guards to push down Mr. Shang Xiping and beat him. A few police guards surrounded him and kicked him continually. His face became disfigured from the beatings.

5. Practitioner Mr. Shao Dianyin used to be the director of the Political and Judiciary Committee of Yanan Township of Fuyuan County. He was detained in the forced labor camp. The policemen forced the detained practitioners to work extremely hard to make money for them. They forced them to pick and package red beans. The daily quota for each detained practitioner was ridiculously high. Mr. Shao couldn't finish his quota and was shut in the small cell. The police guards encouraged criminal inmate Du Hongjun to kick Mr. Shao. He kicked him so hard that he broke his collarbone. Criminal inmates Liang Jingui and Li Xiang beat and kicked Mr. Shao together so hard that his face became swollen and disfigured. Even so, they didn't send him to the doctor and instead handcuffed him to a metal chair.

6. Practitioner Mr. Song Lintao from Tangyuan County, Mr. Zhou Yongliang from Jiamusi City, and Mr. Liu Yanchang from Tongjiang were kidnapped to a brainwashing session held by the forced labor camp in the fall of 2002. Zhang Zhenhua, a brigade director, instigated criminal inmate Liang Jingui to kick Song Lintao's leg and caused an injury to his leg. Criminal inmate Liang Jingui threatened to him, saying, "The director of the Forced Labor Camp Xiu Lifeng is my protector." To reach the goal of transforming practitioner Zhou Yongliang, the police guards forced Zhou Yongliang to sit on a hard plastic stool for 6 days and nights without sleep. Criminal Cheng Yu burned Mr. Zhou's face with a lighter. Mr. Zhou was tortured until he lost consciousness. Practitioner Liu Yanchang was handcuffed to the leg of his bed for 6 days and nights. Criminal inmate Wang Hongwei hit Mr. Liu's head, and caused him to bleed severely and lose consciousness many times.

7. Mr. Li Jingfeng was an employee of a breeding yard in Huachuan County. He was illegally sentenced to the forced labor camp for a three-year term. During his detention, the police guard Ge Hongbo burned his palm with a lit cigarette. On November 1, 2002, when Li Jingfeng recited a sentence from a Falun Dafa book, criminal inmate Du Hongjun reported this to policeman Zhang Zhenhua. Zhang instigated criminal inmate Wang Hongwei to torture Mr. Li. He handcuffed both of Mr. Li's hands backwards to the leg of his bed, and made him sit on a serrated plastic stool for 11 days and nights with no sleep. The police guard tried to force Mr. Li to sign the "Three Statements" (4) during the torture, but Mr. Li refused. Wang Wei then hit Mr. Li heavily on his ear and side of his head. Mr. Li was beaten until he lost consciousness. The next day Li barely got up and when he found the brigade director, Yang Jiantao, he asked him to stop the persecution. However, Yang beat Mr. Li instead and even instigated the criminals to torture Mr. Li. Police guard Wang Kai poured a thermos full of boiling water on the back of his hands, causing blisters as big as an egg. Because Mr. Li was detained inside a damp cell all the time and he was not allowed to walk outside to get fresh air, the quilts got moldy. As a result of this harsh environment, his body was covered with scabies. They handcuffed him to his bed with the excuse of preventing him to scratch himself and from being infected, which brought enormous pain to him. Policeman Guo Gang and Zhang Yijun ordered criminal Yu Heiyang to spray liquid "medicine" on Mr. Li's body. The so-called "medicine" was made in the forced labor camp, and it was a mixture of some pesticide and other chemicals. Because the pesticide was too much to bear, Mr. Li tried to wash it off. He was stopped by criminal inmate Guo Gang and Zhang Yijun, and they handcuffed him to the Tiger Bench. Zhang Yijun stuffed his mouth with dirty clothing and punched him in the head.

The facts listed above are just part of the persecution that has happened in the Forced Labor Camp of Jiamusi City. Actually, the overall persecution of the practitioners is more serious. Part of the problem is the abominable environment. The practitioners are not allowed to take showers, and the doors and windows are not allowed to be opened to let in fresh air. There is never enough food, and what they eat every day is moldy buns. They barely have any vegetables to eat. During the whole winter they just ate frozen cabbage soup cooked with no oil. When the inspection group of the higher-level authorities came, the policemen just bought a few pounds of meat and cooked some better food to masquerade the real situation. They forced the practitioners to do very hard work to make money for the forced labor camp. Every practitioner has to pick red beans, with a daily quota of 55-77 pounds. If they can't finish their quota, they are not allowed to sleep or are even put into the small cells to be tortured. They refuse to let the practitioners to meet their family members; do not allow the family members to send food or other goods to the forced labor camp, so that instead they have to buy those things for a high price in the store owned by a family member of the director. Further, they don't allow the practitioners to do the Falun Gong exercises.

The persecution is still continuing. We hope that more and more kind people and organizations pay attention to the persecution in order to secure the release of those detained practitioners immediately.

(1) "Tiger bench": an instrument of torture. One is forced to sit on a small iron bench with knees tightly tied on the bench and hands tied on the back. Usually some hard objects are inserted underneath the lower legs to make it even harder to bear the pain, see illustration on http://www.clearwisdom.net/emh/articles/2001/11/24/16156.html].

(2) The detainee is locked up in a very small cell individually. The guards handcuff practitioners behind their back in a fixed position, in which the practitioners can neither move nor lie down. The small cell is very damp and completely dark. Detainees have to urinate and defecate in the cell. Only half of a regular meal is served to detainees locked up in a small cell during the daytime. The stench in the small cell is so bad that it is difficult to breathe.

(3) Yuan: Chinese currency, the monthly salary for an average Chinese urban worker is about 500 yuan.

(4) Three statements: statements to declare that he or she is remorseful for practicing Falun Gong and guarantees not to practice Falun Gong again, not to go to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong, and never again associate with any Falun Dafa practitioners.