Falun Dafa Minghui.org www.minghui.org PRINT

Former Deputy Party Secretary of the Wolong District Committee in Nanyang City, Henan Province Dies As a Result of Torture

February 27, 2004 |  


Mr. Zhang Quande was the deputy party secretary of the Wolong District Committee in Nanyang City, Henan Province. After he retired, he suffered from various diseases; however, after he took up the practice of Falun Gong, he soon recovered. In July 1999, Jiang's regime started the persecution of Falun Gong. Zhang persisted in his practice of Falun Gong, and as a result, he was arrested. During detention, he was tortured and became extremely weak. His family members used their influence and got him released after he was detained for three months. However, the Chezhan Police in Nanyang City would not leave him alone. After his release, they kept coming to his home to harass him.

In January 2003, Zhang Quande was taken away by police from the Chezhan Police Station. They sent him to Fangcheng County where he was detained for one month. Afterwards, the police sent him to Shangzhuang Detention Center in Nanyang City and held him there for 64 days. While in detention, the police tried to force him to curse at Teacher and Dafa, and to give up his belief in Falun Gong. The elderly gentleman said sternly, "I've been working in the government for dozens of years and I've never seen law enforcement personnel like you who intentionally violate the law! Which regulation states that we must curse at people? I practice Falun Gong and have a healthy body. Our Teacher teaches us not to fight back when beaten and not to curse back when being cursed. We consider others before ourselves in all matters. Is there anything wrong with this? Falun Dafa is good!" The torture made the elderly gentleman's health deteriorate rapidly. When he was released from the detention center, his whole body was covered with scabies and he could no long move around. Even so, the police extorted 2000 yuan from him.

In May 2003, Mr. Zhang passed away.