Falun Dafa Minghui.org www.minghui.org PRINT

In Memory of Practitioners Mr. Huang Ke and Mrs. Zhong Yunxiu of Fushun City, Liaoning Province (Photos)

September 07, 2003 |  


High Resolution Picture High Resolution Picture
Mr. Huang Ke and his wife Mrs. Zhong Yunxiu Mrs. Zhong Yunxiu

In September 1999, 27-year-old Mrs. Zhong Yunxiu died in police custody for practicing Falun Gong. At the time her daughter was less than two years old.

On July 3, 2003, Mrs. Zhong's 31-year-old husband Mr. Huang Ke was tortured to death.

Their daughter was then less than six years old and became an orphan. Mr. Huang's elderly parents are in deep sorrow because they lost their only child. People who knew them were shocked and angered by the brutality.

We are writing this article as a memorial to the couple's cultivation and their solemn, stirring spirit of validating Fa.

Mr. Huang Ke and Mrs. Zhong Yunxiu were a couple who practiced in Wanghua District in Fushun City, Liaoning Province.

Mr. Huang was born in 1972 and worked for the 10th Research Office of Fushun Petroleum Chemical Industry Research Institute in Liaoning Province. His supervisors and coworkers agreed that Mr. Huang was an upright and kind person, and that he was very responsible for his work.

Mrs. Zhong Yunxiu was born in 1973 and was an English teacher in Beisanjia Town Middle School at Qingyuan County, Fushun City. She was described as outgoing and delightful.

Mr. Huang started to practice Falun Gong in 1996. Mrs. Zhong obtained the Fa in 1997. Both of them were very diligent in cultivation, and their family was full of happiness.

Between the end of 1997 and the early 1998, Mrs. Zhong became pregnant, but still kept coming to the practice site to do exercises. Sometimes it was very cold, even 27 below zero Fahrenheit, but it never stopped her from coming.

The couple's daughter, named "Xinyu", was born in February 1998. They did not slow down on their cultivation because of the demand of taking care a baby. They were very diligent in studying the Fa, doing the exercises, and copying from Dafa books and reciting Teacher's words. To help practitioners in rural areas have Teacher's lectures to watch, Mrs. Zhong took her daughter along to deliver the videos to them. Her compassionate actions moved everyone.

In the night of April 24, 1999, discovering that the Tianjin City police was illegally detaining practitioners, Mr. Huang went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong. Mrs. Zhong believed that she should go also. Eventually she and their daughter overcame the difficulties and managed to go to Beijing.

After April 25, 1999, various forms of pressure fell on the couple, but they did not give up. Instead, they became even more diligent. They convinced their parents, who had been worried because of the persecution, and were able to set up a Fa study group in their home.

Right before July 20, 1999, the couple had appealed for Falun Gong in Beijing several times. They visited the Appeals Office, the state-run CCTV and other government facilities to clarify the truth about Falun Gong. Mr. Hong's mother has a mental illness, and to avoid burdening his parents with looking after a grandchild, the couple always took their daughter with them, no matter how hard it was. They kept communicating with other practitioners to share cultivation experiences and encouraged each other.

To clarify the truth, Mr. Huang personally handed out truth-clarifying materials to the president and the Secretary of the Communist Party Committee at his workplace, Fushun Petroleum Chemical Industry Research Institute.

On the night of July 15, 1999, dozens of policemen from a police station affiliated with Fushun City Public Security Bureau at Wanghua District Branch went to the practice sites and took away the practitioners who had been to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong and registered them. The practitioners were interrogated. It was raining very hard on that day. Mr. Huang was working a night shift and was not at home. Mrs. Zhong, holding her daughter, led other practitioners to the police station, demanding that the police release the detained practitioners. On the early morning of the next day, the detained practitioners were released.

On the morning of July 20, 1999, while practitioners were on their way home after doing the exercises outside, police and staff from Neighborhood Management Department violently abducted the assistant of the practice site. Their illegal action triggered all the other practitioners to go to the city government building to clarify the truth. The practitioners stood in a line waiting, but the city officials had no intention of seeing them at all. Later, staff from the City Appeal Office came to record every practitioner's name. Practitioners saw through their ploy and refused to cooperate. Then, a cameraman was sent over to videotape, and staff from different Neighborhood Management Departments came to interfere with the practitioners' peaceful appeal. At around 6 pm, the city government called in a large amount of police forces and two trucks of fully armed soldiers. Mrs. Zhong stood calmly in front of the line the whole time. Police then started to forcibly drag practitioners into the police cars, including Mrs. Zhong.

On the next day, July 21, practitioners went to the city government to appeal for Falun Gong. The police were already there and set up a barricade. Many practitioners were held inside the line. The other practitioners stood along the both sides of the streets, peacefully waiting for the city official's reception. Soon after, several buses carrying practitioners drove out from inside. When the practitioners outside realized this, they all ran into the street, some of them sat down in the middle of the street trying to block the buses. The police came and violently grabbed practitioners one by one and forcefully threw them back. The situation was quite chaotic. Mrs. Zhong, holding her child in her arms, tried to step forward to the front, but was stopped by the other practitioners for her safety. Mrs. Zhong had to watch the situation anxiously, with a deep painful feeling in her eyes. At that time, the police threw Mr. Huang Ke in the bus. The buses eventually drove away under the police's guard. Seeing the city government show no sign of willingness to see the practitioners, they decided to appeal to the provincial government.

Mrs. Zhong Yunxiu and Mr. Huang Ke went to Beijing to appeal that night. Having witnessed the brutality of Beijing police towards Falun Gong, they decided to leave their child at home. No one had ever thought that this would be their last time they said goodbye to their child, neither did it ever hit the child's mind that it was the last time to hug her mom.

While on their way to Beijing, the couple passed numerous police checkpoints. At that time, the police began to block the roads. When they arrived in Beijing, they found out that the Beijing police were arresting practitioners also. No practitioner was able to provide a place for the couple to stay. On July 22, 1999, state-run TVs launched a frenzied attack on Falun Gong and its founder by manipulating and fabricating stories. The harsh situation did not weaken the couple's determination to seek justice for Falun Gong. They decided to stay and clarify the truth to the people.

Because the police were wantonly arresting practitioners, the couple had to sleep on the streets at night. Unfortunately, they were found and arrested by the police. Police put them and other practitioners on a train from Beijing to Jinzhou Train Station. The couple got a chance to escape and broke away from the police. They returned to Beijing to continue to validate Fa.

Mrs. Zhong called practitioners in her hometown many times to encourage more practitioners to step out and validate the Fa at the critical moment. Later, when other practitioners from her hometown came to Beijing, everyone became tearful after seeing the couple. It was autumn and very cold out, but they only had a few layers of clothes to wear. Two months of tough street-life and constant moving around to avoid being arrested by the police had caused the couple to become very skinny. It was easy to see that whatever they had experienced and endured was unimaginable and extremely difficult. They overcame all of it for one thing--to validate Fa.

Fushun City practitioners were in shock and pain once they found out about her death.

After Mrs. Zhong died, the Fushun City Politics and Law Commission and Public Security Bureau detained Mr. Huang Ke. He was not released until right before the Chinese New Year of 2000 (around late January and early February 2000), when his relatives handed over 5,000 Yuan to bail him out. During his detention period, Mr. Huang refused to cooperate with his work place, and the Politics and Law Commission and Public Security Bureau kept harassing him, tryingto force him to write a so-called "Guarantee Statement" [A statement to declare that he or she is remorseful for practicing Falun Gong and guarantees not to practice Falun Gong again, not to go to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong, and never again associate with any Falun Dafa practitioners.].

Around March 2000, Mr. Huang's work place colluded with the Politics and Law Commission and the local police station to send him to a brainwashing center in Fushun Forced Labor Camp. After several months of detention, they let him go home but they did not allow him to return to work.

In the end of 2000, Mr. Huang saw the persecution escalating every day and went to Beijing once again to appeal for Falun Gong. He unfurled a banner reading "Falun Dafa is Good" in Tiananmen Square. The police arrested and detained him for doing so. It was not until he was tortured to the brink of death that the police informed his work place and family. He was then carried back home. Before he was able to recover, Mr. Huang was sent to a detention center and later, a forced labor camp. Several months afterwards, he was released.

In the end of 2001, Mr. Huang's work place again colluded with the Neighborhood Management Department to send him to a forced labor camp. When he was released home, his family could not bear the pressure from the authorities and tried to stop him from practicing Falun Gong. Facing the pressure from both the authorities and family, Mr. Huang did not give up. He took it silently with a calm heart, and at same time clarified the truth to them.

On March 18, 2003, while Mr. Huang was clarifying the truth about Falun Gong to people, an elderly woman who was deceived by the government and the media's false propaganda reported him to the police. Police from Guangming Police Station arrested him and sent him to a detention center. He was sentenced to seven years in prison for painting "Falun Dafa is Good" on a wall. [Note: Without access to any typical means of communication such as newspapers, magazines, TVáor radio, Falun Gong practitioners have resorted to many creative and sometimes unusual methods for raising awareness among Chinese people about the persecution.]Mr. Huang went on a hunger strike to protest his mistreatment.. The prison guards then ordered criminals to force-feed him. Later, he was sent to a hospital to be force-fed. But because of his righteous thoughts, they could not feed him anything. After over ten days of torture, Mr. Huang was close to death. The police were forced to release him. It was said that he was saved after going through an emergency hospital treatment.

At the end of June 2003, police from Guangming Police Station at Wanghua District in Fushun City abducted him again and detained him in the Fushun First Detention Center. Mr. Huang went on a hunger strike and suffered force-feeding several times. After ten days of torture, he died under police custody at 6 am on July 3, 2003.

More Information:

The persecution of practitioners of Fushun Petroleum Chemical Industry Research Institute was directed by the "610 Office", which consists of the Party Committee, the secretary of the committee, and the Security Department of the institute. The Security Department directly arrests practitioners. This "610 Office" works closely with both City and district Politic and Law Commissions, Public Security Bureaus, and police stations to persecute practitioners.

More information about the perpetrators:

Lv Shun, male, staff from the Security Department of Fushun Petroleum Chemical Industry Research Institute.

Wang Xingtong, male, the secretary of Communist Youth League Committee of the institute.

The Funshun First Detention Center is primarily responsible for the death of Mr. Huang Ke.

August 13, 2003