Falun Dafa Minghui.org www.minghui.org PRINT

Father and Son Die from Torture Within Half a Year in the Wanjia Hospital in Harbin City, Heilongjiang Province

February 01, 2003 |  


Falun Dafa Information Center January 27, 2003 report: According to recent news from Heilongjiang Province, on January 12, 2003, Falun Gong practitioner Yu Guanyun from Harbin City died from torture suffered in the Changlinzi Labor Camp and the Wanjia Hospital in Harbin City. His eldest son, Falun Gong practitioner Yu Zhenyi, died from torture in the Wanjia Hospital on June 14, 2002. Right now, Yu Guanyun's second son is being pursued by the government and was forced to leave home to avoid persecution.

Yesterday, a reporter called the Harbin City Office in Charge of Persecution against Falun Gong and asked about the death of Yu Guanyun and his son Yu Zhenyi. The man who answered the phone shouted loudly, "Quick! Write down the caller's number and tell the '610 Office' to investigate immediately!" (Please note: The "610 Office" is an agency specifically created to persecute Falun Gong, with absolute power over each level of administration in the Party and all other political and judicial systems.)

It was learned that the 61-year-old Mr. Yu Guanyun was the former voluntary assistant for the Taiping District Falun Gong practice site in Harbin City. In late 1999, he was illegally detained for 15 days after appealing in Tiananmen Square. In July 2000, while clarifying the truth to people, he was kidnapped by police and was detained more than 50 days. His home was ransacked many times. In July 2002, when Yu Guanyun was distributing Falun Gong truth clarification material, thugs from the Harbin Train Station Security Division kidnapped him. He was sentenced to three years of forced labor and was detained in the Changlinzi Labor Camp in Harbin City. On January 12, 2003, news of Yu Guanyun's death at the Wanjia Hospital was revealed. The cause of his death is still under investigation.

Yu Guanyun's eldest son Yu Zhenyi was also tortured to death in the Wanjia Hospital. In September 2001, 28-year-old Yu Zhenyi was illegally sentenced to four years in prison. On April 25, 2002, he was transferred from the Harbin Third Prison to the Wanjia Hospital in Harbin. Up to that point he had been very clearheaded. In a period of a few hours, he was tortured to the extent that his limbs were twitching uncontrollably and he was not in a clear state of mind. On that same day he was transferred from Wanjia Hospital to the Second Affiliated Hospital at Harbin Medical University. After examination, it was found that he had been repeatedly struck in the head with a heavy object. There were also internal injuries throughout his body. The hospital refused to continue treatment. He died on June 14, 2002.

According to internal news sources, the police attempted to arrest Yu Guanyun's second son Yu Zhenxiong after his father's death. Right now, Yu Zhenxiong is roaming about to avoid further persecution.

Statistics at the Falun Dafa Information Center show the number of Falun Gong practitioners who were tortured to death in China has risen to 560. On January 20, 2003, the World Organization to Investigate the Persecution of Falun Gong was founded in the United States. The organization's mission statement reads, in part, that "our mission is to investigate the criminal conduct of all institutions, organizations, and individuals involved in the persecution of Falun Gong; to bring such investigation, no matter how long it takes, no matter how far and deep we have to search, to full closure; to exercise fundamental principles of humanity; and to restore and uphold justice in society."